SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
The laugh on this whole thing, is ABC wouldn't be up for vote if RBG's ego wasn't so F-ing big. If she would have just let Obama appoint her successor ABC wouldn't be an issue right now.

RBG wanted a woman to appoint her successor not a black president, in the name of progress and all.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Maybe ACB?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Perhaps childish on my part, but I so wanted to see a photo appear of ACB squeezing off rounds at a local range with her AR. Smile Just fuel to contribute to the Dem's anguish.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Q. If Roe is overturned, what will happen to abortion rights?
Although very unlikely, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, the situation would revert back to what it had been before, with the individual States controlling abortions. There are those who believe that would be appropriate.

flashguy

It would be appropriate and what the founders intended. But the chances that Roe is overturned are vanishingly small. Even though Roe probably isn't super-precedent, it is approaching that status.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer jhe like you but I will politely disagree. Almost every legal opinion/discussion I have ever read almost universally opine that Roe is a flawed decision. Even from those who want it upheld.

If this country continues its, until recent, continual slide left then I suspect you are right. If however, a Trump win and perhaps even Republicans picking up a few seats happens I think the pendulum might start swinging the other way.

It seems that Roe would never be challenged successfully mainly because so many issues that are clearly manufactured out of thin air and hubris seem to hold sway at this point in history. I won’t elaborate because I like having a job but I’m sure you can read between the lines. If the country actually retains some sanity and the president’s attempt to diminish federal power is successful then returning an issue to the states is not only possible but entirely reasonable.

I don’t think we are at impossible yet.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fer christ's sakes, does everything in DC have to be a month long string of bullshit, campaign speech laden bullshit sessions!

Just get the vote done McConnell, quit fekkin' around and put it in the damn books ya big fekkin fairy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
Maybe ACB?

It's not Amy Bony Carrot?? Cool

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing a meme posted by my liberal friends:

"ACB walked through every door opened by RGB, and now she will do every thing she can to close those doors."

I ask them, "what do you mean, what door did RGB open that ACB used and will now close?"
No one seems to be able to answer me, but yet they keep posting and spreading this meme.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

"ACB walked through every door opened by RGB, and now she will do every thing she can to close those doors."

I ask them, "what do you mean, what door did RGB open that ACB used and will now close?"
No one seems to be able to answer me, but yet they keep posting and spreading this meme.

Lies don't need to be anything but convenient and clever

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Liberal tears by any other means, are just as salty.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a retarded meme. Not funny and not based in any truth.

There's a reason why it's said that the left can't meme. And here is just another perfect example.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

I mean, RBG was the first woman on that Supreme Court...! She opened doors!

...oh...wait.... Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Not a lawyer jhe like you but I will politely disagree. Almost every legal opinion/discussion I have ever read almost universally opine that Roe is a flawed decision. Even from those who want it upheld.

If this country continues its, until recent, continual slide left then I suspect you are right. If however, a Trump win and perhaps even Republicans picking up a few seats happens I think the pendulum might start swinging the other way.

It seems that Roe would never be challenged successfully mainly because so many issues that are clearly manufactured out of thin air and hubris seem to hold sway at this point in history. I won’t elaborate because I like having a job but I’m sure you can read between the lines. If the country actually retains some sanity and the president’s attempt to diminish federal power is successful then returning an issue to the states is not only possible but entirely reasonable.

I don’t think we are at impossible yet.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think Roe was a well-reasoned or correct legal decision. I think none of those things. It is wrong, poorly reasoned, and does violence to the original concept of federalism.

You may be confused by the term super-precedent. "Super-precedent" does not mean the decision is unimpeachable in legal analysis and constitutional rigor. What it means is that the decision is so universally accepted (whether right or wrong) that it isn't seriously challenged any more. I think I talked about this earlier in this thread. It does seem that the lefty Senators on the judiciary committee thought this was what "super-precedent" is. They have no excuse in being wrong, as they have law degrees for the most part and staffs to 'splain it to them. If I were cynical, I might think they were deliberately misusing the term to make political points.

For example, many think Marbury is wrong. But it is super-precedent because no serious person thinks it will be overturned, and no one even tries any more. If any one did try, they would lose at the outset. Marbury could be wrong, but it isn't going to be overturned. Roe isn't there, but it is getting close.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Memes are emotion-driven, and their factual accuracy isn't particularly important. Good ones have more fact in them, but still . . . What do you expect from a sound bite that is ten words or less and a picture? It "seems" true to them, and that is all they care about. And yes, the left can't meme.

posted Hide Post
I'm sure this applies to a lot of people in general, but the leftists that are freaking about ACB don't understand how SCOTUS works. I had a gay acquaintance post on the f-book that she will be "coming for his marriage". I really wanted to go on there and explain that the SC can't just arbitrarily decide to overturn a particular ruling, they would have to hear a case that has made its way up through lower courts, and the chances of that are probably slim to none. But I knew it would be an exercise in futility so I held my tongue.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a lot of words. Unless I have completely misread the issue, Roe gets taken to task in the courts enough that it very conceivably could be heard by the SC. My readings indicate the left doesn’t want it challenged and the right never thought they had 5he potential votes. If she is confirmed they very well could hear a Roe case in the next few years. I understand your discussion of super precedent then and now. I also understood Roe isn’t there.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't your parents always tell you "Don't be wasteful, close the door behind you". Just good practice.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she is confirmed they very well could hear a Roe case in the next few years.
If you wanna put some money on that I'll give you 3 to 1 odds against it ever happening. Roe is horrible jurisprudence, yet I really fear we're stuck with it for good. Let's just hope with ACB on the court, the SCOTUS can once and for all put to bed the issue of what the 2A says and means. I'm far more hopeful we can get some positive movement on that issue in the coming years.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a lot of words. Unless I have completely misread the issue, Roe gets taken to task in the courts enough that it very conceivably could be heard by the SC. My readings indicate the left doesn’t want it challenged and the right never thought they had 5he potential votes. If she is confirmed they very well could hear a Roe case in the next few years. I understand your discussion of super precedent then and now. I also understood Roe isn’t there.

I agree that Roe isn't a super-precedent. But the litigation around Roe is about the edges of where regulation can act. I don't think there have been a serious challenge to the basic idea that the constitution mandates that at least some abortions must be permitted has been made recently. The litigation is all around the edges. It isn't a super-precedent, but the core idea may be close to being one. I am with bigdeal - there is almost no chance the Supremes even take up a case that challenges the core of Roe, never mind overturns it.

When my lefty friends worry that Roe will be overturned, I bet them a steak dinner the core of the case will be standing in five years. None will take the bet.

Again, that doesn't mean I think Roe is rightly decided.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The video of Laura Wolk, ACB's former student brought me to tears. If that doesn't convince anyone of ACB's integrity and care, nothing will.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post