SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mega millions winnings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mega millions winnings Login/Join 
posted
What would you do with $800M? Pay off family members houses? Trust funds for all the kids nieces and newphews?
I’m thinking a kids hospital would be good. Or a hell of a Christmas for the children in them.

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
After all the normal things one does with lotto winnings charity, helping family and so forth I'd own an obnoxious amount of firearms. I'd start a museum/ business FFL for firearms and all things military history. I'd mark all firearms $25 over cost for as long as I could get away with it, legally arming the public.

I'd commute to work in a street legal Sherman tank. Oh and start a lobbyist group campaigning for term limits for all politicians and repealing the GCA. I'd also start a YouTube type channel that doesn't discriminate against 2nd amendment enthusiasts.

I think I could accomplish most of that with $800 million.

Oh and I'd pay Floyd Mayweather a $1 million to let me punch him in the face as hard as I could, on national television. Just to say I did.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figure I could maybe just maybe find a personal use for about 1% of it. I figure the rest would go to worthy causes, and to random people that deserve it. My idea would be to open up a luxury hotel that any disabled combat vet could visit with every possible accommodation for wheel chairs, assistive devices, adaptive activities and so on.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have no flippin' clue. Every time I start thinking about what I'd do with that kinda money my brain goes "Oh wow" and shuts down.

I've gotten as far as "There are a couple guns I'd like..."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The Boonker. That kind of guap, you need a Boonker.

I'm gonna buy a bunch of cheap Soviet armor, paint it up in UN livery, and park it out in the woods surrounded by razorwire fences. Put up big ol' signs announcing that it's globalist property or some such, and wait for the conspiracy nuts to find it and go apeshit speculating what horrible thing the Jews have planned for us.

After that stops being fun, I just rent them out for movies and TV shows and whatnot, become an armor prop house essentially.

Start a vaguely named initiative here to repeal all gun laws at the state level. The Safe Kids, Safe Communities Initiative, anyone who questions it gets shouted down as hating kids, and being a racist. The hoplophobes already proved that lying and cheating are perfectly cromulent tactics when it comes to the initiative process, especially when you got the backing of the mega-wealthy.

Also, a really big sandwich.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I said we would get a modest home (pay cash), pay off our cars, keep about $1M (invested) for each of our kids, then give the rest away to our church. I want to keep working, we just want to be set with a safety net for the kids future. Having a billion dollars doesnt appeal to me. Giving the money to the Church somewhat anonymously would be awesome.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Two chicks at the same time!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
# 1 - Hire DocSteve and some of his friends as my personal protection unit
# 2 - Disappear for a while

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Buy a few pieces of property for living/vacation.

Pay off a few close friends' mortgages.

Travel a lot.

Live under the radar as much as possible beyond that.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go bi-coastal. Buy a home on the Gulf and one the Yoop. Winter on the Gulf and summer in the Yoop.
Set my kid up for life.
Pay off all my bills.
Travel.
Shoot. A lot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a YUGE ranch in Texas and have a 7 day SIGforum party. I'd fly any SIGforum member and one significant other in for the epic week. BBQ, shooting at the range, bragging rights, name tags, dining, gun show, drawing for a new SIG each night.....the works. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'd set up a few endowments for deserving charities. And a family trust.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I don't have but want is my own personal range. Seriously, other than that we'd set up a foundation to sponsor at risk children.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Buy a few annuities to ensure I could live comfortably. Nothing really ostentatious. Get the family out of debt. Few new guns, new truck. The rest, probably give away. Local church here has gone above and beyond in doing things for a friend of ours who is going through some medical issues. The church is working to get out of a leased place into a building of their own. We're acquainted with the pastor and his wife. Love to take them to dinner and hand them a check to build their new facility. Worth it just to see their reaction.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Maybe finally find the time to buy some clothes that fit.

I'd probably do exactly what I'm doing now. But more of it, in nicer areas.

Maybe start a hammock factory. Discount sidewalks in distressed areas. And a chain of pizzerias in really really out-of the way "underserved" areas. Five hours out into the desert, and there it'll be, the subdued neon lights beckoning: "Woodman's Crusts & Suds". Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Invest most of it to provide income in perpetuity.
Maybe start a non-profit and a Scholarship for both higher education and vocational learning.

I would also provide for our veterans and work on PTSD/suicide outreach.

I need very little, a useful legacy would be my goal.

Firearms wise, PAK 40! Smile

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
With $800M your life would change as you know it. There is no "doing the same thing" or anything like that.

You'd have to go dark. Sell your house. Go into seclusion to keep the leaches at bay.

$800M cash would cause way more problems for you than it would solve.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
10% of the gross comes out of the net to go to several different churches/schools/organizations.

Pay off the house, start remodeling it.

Trust fund for my son, with stipulations. He gets $X at 25, $X x 2.5 or something if he has his degree, $X x 5 if he's ROTC or whatever....

Gifts (the limit is what now....$14K?) to various friends and family. In a few cases, I'll pay off their debts.

Throw a lavish retirement BBQ here at the armory. Hire Manchester Orchestra to play.

Buy land in various areas across the US. Build smallish (~1K sq ft) off-the-grid homes and garages for the RV. Make sure I can shoot on said property.

Set aside some to pay for the property tax on all of that.

Spend my days wandering the backroads of North America seeing what there is to see, helping out random people and businesses as I go.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Swim in it, Scrooge MacDuck style.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post