SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Ken Lee from the 9th seems like a good place to start.

Only if the WH has an immediate replacement in the "ready room" for his seat on the 9th Circus.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
Take it off the table as an election issue.

I think this is probably the best bet.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Romney, Collins, and Murkowski might pose a problem. Wonder how McConnell will ride herd on them?

Grassley too. I believe he is on record opposing a SCOTUS confirmation close to the election.

GOP has 53 senators, so we need at least 1 of those 4.

Update: McConnell tonight: "President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Ken Lee from the 9th seems like a good place to start.

I like Lee, however he might be well positioned in the 9th as a conservative bulwark, given he was one of the justices that was in favor of over-turning the magazine ban.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I raise a glass of Ardbeg tonight.

Also, my opinion, make the god damn democrats go on record and vote against a woman nominee before the election. Heads will explode in one of their key demographics.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I believe he is on record opposing a SCOTUS confirmation close to the election.

No he has not. Stop it with this fallacy. That alone has never been his position.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

No he has not. Stop it with this fallacy. That alone has never been his position.

"If Republican President Donald Trump nominates a replacement, U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said in a call with Iowa reporters in July that he would not recommend holding a hearing on that candidate."

That's his latest statement on the matter. Not dispositive, but troubling.

Link

And here's the latest from Mittens:

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This just in/Newsflash: It was revealed today that Romney is not a Republican. ..

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Thanks ChicagoSigMan I had heard the same. I was just going to check the net. Will be interesting.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
update :

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

"If Republican President Donald Trump nominates a replacement, U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said in a call with Iowa reporters in July that he would not recommend holding a hearing on that candidate."

That's his latest statement on the matter. Not dispositive, but troubling.

I was talking about Mitch.

And Grassley is no longer the chairman so he no longer concerns me in that regard. He'll vote for the nominee, I'm sure of it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Collins has reportedly been on the ropes against her Dem challenger. If things look bad enough, she may just be willing to throw the President her vote as a Parthian shot.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

Collins has reportedly been on the ropes against her Dem challenger. If things look bad enough, she may just be willing to throw the President her vote as a Parthian shot.

Agreed. And nice (correct) usage of the term most call the parting shot.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
No replacing her immediately would be a mistake. Leaving the seat open for the election would actually energize the Democratic base where sleepy Joe isn’t.

How does not filling the seat take it off the table as an issue? “You HAVE to elect Joe and the Ho! We can’t let evil Orange Man Bad have another SCOTUS appointment. It is vital that a scumbag GDC nominate the replacement for RBG!”

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
At that point the political assumption will be that the Repubs have installed a functional conservative majority on the Supreme Court. If the seat's open during the election, they could still (theoretically) drag out a confirmation process long enough to (theoretically) let a President Biden withdraw the nomination and submit a more liberal nominee.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You people don’t actually look at the Lounge page before banging out a post, right?
I mean, instead of bookmarking the forum or a subset you come to this thread first and just start hammering away?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
No replacing her immediately would be a mistake. Leaving the seat open for the election would actually energize the Democratic base where sleepy Joe isn’t.

How does not filling the seat take it off the table as an issue? “You HAVE to elect Joe and the Ho! We can’t let evil Orange Man Bad have another SCOTUS appointment. It is vital that a scumbag GDC nominate the replacement for RBG!”

Yes that is precisely what I said. Filling the seat immediately removes it as an election issue. If it is left open the GDC will use the issue to energize their base to vote. If it gets filled quickly all they have is more complaining that most people are now ignoring.
Edited to add that I can see the typo makes this unclear. It should read ´not’ v. No

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, legally fill the position with urgency...the news cycle will be about a day.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post