SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Doesn't change much, in the grand scheme. She was going to croak sometime in the next 4 years anyway. And there is exactly zero chance that the Dems would allow a new appointee to be confirmed before January.

So her replacement still hinges on the next election.

How can they block it? The Dems did away with the filibuster on Supreme Court appointments.

Warp speed ahead.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't change much, in the grand scheme. She was going to croak sometime in the next 4 years anyway. And there is exactly zero chance that the Dems would allow a new appointee to be confirmed before January, and will do whatever is needed by hook or crook to drag it out.

So her replacement still hinges on the next election.

How the hell can the dems stop it? If the Republicans have the will, they'll get it done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I hope they get a new justice as soon as possible. I had an uncle who passed away from metastatic pancreatic cancer. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
.So her replacement still hinges on the next election.

No it doesn't.

Posts: 7557 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
This really complicated things. If the republicans push forward, what are the consequences in the national election? If they don’t?

Which candidate benefits by the seat being open if the republicans decide not to fill it before the election? There is a lot to think through here.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
I’d like to say I’m a good person who never cherishes another human being’s death, but then again, communists are not people. So yeah, I’m super happy for America.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they start Senate hearings very soon, before the election, so America can once again be reminded of what an evil, nasty bitch Kamaltoe is.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its going to be like the movie 'Mars Attacks' with Democratic heads blowing up over the next 48 hours. Apart from that, there will be various threats from Democrats and News pundits that President Trump better not nominate and/or swear in a replacement until the election has taken place, bla bla.

Biden will make this his central campaign issue against the President. Democrats will discuss expanding the Supreme Court to counter President Trump being able to nominate a third of the court. Chuck and Nancy will melt down. Portland and Seattle will host additional awesome rioting (Oakland always riots so need to mention).

Dear Mr. President, please nominate someone tonight and get it in front of Mitch and the Senate for a vote before mid-October.

Lets start microwaving popcorn folks, its going to get real starting tomorrow morning.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
What’s that distant “Tapping” sound I faintly hear in the distance to the SE of Washington State?

Para, you got your dancing shoes on???

With just 46 days to the election? Could it really be done? Is there a wheel barrow BIG enough to hold Mitch’s testicles if he could pull that off?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
This really complicated things. If the republicans push forward, what are the consequences in the national election? If they don’t?

Which candidate benefits by the seat being open if the republicans decide not to fill it before the election? There is a lot to think through here.

What gets complicated? Trump adds another justice that conservatives like and we love it. Me thinks you're getting too cerebral. You really think if we wait things will be better?

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Does pushing forward and Mitch being a blatant hypocrite alienate moderates we need? His base will love it, but his base is behind him 100%. How does it play with the moderates, that’s the most important thing here imo. Unintended consequences, I don’t think this is simple at all.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I just hope the inevitable nomination is in the vein of Scalia, and just as squeaky-clean as possible. Don't give the left any cracks or toeholds to latch on to, and let them go full lunatic trying to manufacture something.

As for delaying past reelection....a bird in the hand, and all that.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Exciting times for sure. And as darth said, now she knows.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can’t see it but I’m doing my Snoopy Dance.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKJa4ok83M

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Do what you can, where you are, with what you have” T. Roosevelt

If McConnell can line up 50 votes with Pence as the tiebreaker then, fill the seat now!

What advantage do conservatives gain by waiting? In my view, not one thing; other than to appear “statesman-like” (i.e. losers).

If the Republicans wait, either because they want to play nice or don’t have the votes, we cannot begin to imagine the money and election stealing efforts that will occur in the current close senate races.

In any case I’d suspect that the D.C. police are going to need additional support.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken Lee from the 9th seems like a good place to start.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Does pushing forward and Mitch being a blatant hypocrite alienate moderates we need? His base will love it, but his base is behind him 100%. How does it play with the moderates, that’s the most important thing here imo. Unintended consequences, I don’t think this is simple at all.

If it as dire as you think, couldn't we wait until after the election and then do the hearings? Me thinks you think too much. You seriously didn't think either side saw this coming?

Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
No replacing her immediately would be a mistake. Leaving the seat open for the election would actually energize the Democratic base where sleepy Joe isn’t.
Take it off the table as an election issue.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Romney, Collins, and Murkowski might pose a problem. Wonder how McConnell will ride herd on them?

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post