SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The republicans in the Senate could push it through, and there's not a damn thing the media or the democrats could do about it.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If someone dumped water on the old witch tomorrow, could Trump successfully install a new Justice this close to the election without the left and their media lapdogs creating another “protest” firestorm he would get blamed with? This close to endgame, even a black lesbian transgender cross dressing shemale would be attacked by the left if that person was openly conservative.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The republicans in the Senate could push it through, and there's not a damn thing the media or the democrats could do about it.

Yup. The election is on the 3rd of November but the new Senate isn't sworn in until the new year.

Plenty of time.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the Libs want to double the size of the court, then let us get on with it

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/al...rt-vacancy-election/

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says that confirming a Trump nominee to the high court in the middle of an election year or during the lame-duck session in November and December would create a “double standard” after what happened in 2016.

“When Republicans held off Merrick Garland it was because nine months prior to the election was too close, we needed to let people decide. And I agreed to do that. If we now say that months prior to the election is OK when nine months was not, that is a double standard and I don’t believe we should do it,” she said. “So I would not support it.”

Graham said he’d be “willing” to fill a vacancy, but cautioned: “I’d like to get input from my colleagues.”

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” he added. “I hope everybody stays healthy on the Supreme Court and we don’t have to worry about it.”

It would take four Republican no votes to block confirmation of a new nominee. Murkowski sounds like a hard no. Grassley is a soft no: Although he dislikes the idea of confirming someone this close to Election Day, no one thinks he’d be the 51st vote for Democrats to block Trump. Mitt Romney and Susan Collins were also asked by The Hill if they’d confirm a nominee this year and both ducked the question. Romney is also very likely to vote no, I think, as it’s clearer by the day that he intends to go his own way in the Senate and let the electoral chips fall where they may.

Collins would be in a terrible bind because she’s trailing in the latest poll and would be destined to alienate either her base or certain voters in the center no matter what she did about a new vacancy. Because she already went to the mat for Kavanaugh two years ago, I think she’d try to “balance” that vote by voting no this time, and maybe try to sell it to Maine Republicans as a reason to reelect her. “This vacancy makes it more important than ever to have a Republican president and a Republican Senate next year.” They’d be mad, but the prospect of getting to fill that seat would lead most to hold their noses and vote Collins anyway.

Is there a fourth anywhere in the Senate? Would Cory Gardner dare flake out on Trump in his bluish state of Colorado, knowing how doing so might conceivably help him by giving his candidacy more of an independent tinge?

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Yeah, "let's cast seeds of doubt", sez the media...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
What happened in 2016 was politics pure and simple. It’s not a precedent either side will ever “honor” unless they have to because they don’t have the votes. This isn’t about right or wrong, election year or not...it’s straight politics. Pretending otherwise is just BS.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let's flip this shall we. How many people here think if the current DEM party had the White House and a controlling majority of the senate they wouldn't confirm a new SCOTUS judge on November 2nd of an election year? Yeah. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Let's flip this shall we. How many people here think if the current DEM party had the White House and a controlling majority of the senate they wouldn't confirm a new SCOTUS judge on November 2nd of an election year? Yeah. Roll Eyes

They would not hesitate one second to do exactly that if given the chance. I'm not counting on it but if the chance arrives...Trump and the Senate should do it at once. The time to "play nice" is long over.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is not right, not right at all. You know damn well she'd have packed it in had that been anyone other than DJT in the White House. Roll Eyes

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg waited 4 months to say her cancer had returned

Hopefully it moves quickly this time around.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RBG really has a case of "Hate Trump" syndrome, and it won't go away until she does.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It won't be long and when she kicks, I'll dance in the street.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I can't dance, but I will definitely be buying rounds at the local bar

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It won't be long and when she kicks, I'll dance in the street.

I'm not a good dancer, but I'll give a few yells.

That's American for "uluation".

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

They absolutely would. When Garland was shutout, everyone knew it was politics. Essentially unless you have the Senate in an election year, you won't get a SCOTUS appointment. If you have the Senate...weeeeeeeell, things are different this time so we can hold the hearings.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Or you could say that things aren't different at all. In both cases, the American people deliberately elected a Republican-majority Senate.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Or you could say that things aren't different at all. In both cases, the American people deliberately elected a Republican-majority Senate.
And, (very) hopefully, we'll keep it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If someone dumped water on the old witch tomorrow, could Trump successfully install a new Justice this close to the election without the left and their media lapdogs creating another “protest” firestorm he would get blamed with? This close to endgame, even a black lesbian transgender cross dressing shemale would be attacked by the left if that person was openly conservative.

Seriously Clark ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t care if it seems hypocritical for McConnell to push through a nomination should that harpy kick the bucket tonight. I don’t care about being perceived to have a double standard now that Trump is in office because the Democrats have NO standards other than to win at all costs regardless of the harm to the country. They have lied and cheated, moved the goal posts and changed the narrative so often that I see no reason to play by Gentlemen's Rules any longer, their actions have violated the spirit of the Social Contract that we all have agreed to.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the future of this nation is at stake. If there's one thing the leftists prove over and over, it's that they don't play by the rules, so they can take their hypocritical lectures about decorum and cram them up their ass.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
RBG has passed.

Who’s the next appointee?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post