SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did/Does your lady friend drive you around????
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did/Does your lady friend drive you around???? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Many years ago my wife pissed me off so bad in the passenger seat that I pulled over and told her to drive. I don't think I have driven since. She is a horrible passenger, always freaking out, gasping, shrieking over cars that are a mile away, etc.

Exactly this. We trade off on journeys to family in Canada and I put up with the lectures and other noises. Oh, I used to club race and still like to keep my average speed up on a journey. Not speeding or fast, just quick.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Depends on who's car we take. Short trips usually the person who's car it is. Long trips we will likely switch off. Around town or short trips, it's pretty even. Sometimes neither person cares, sometimes one person doesn't want to drive for whatever reason.

Describes us perfectly.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't ever remember riding in the passenger seat with my wife driving. She has asked a couple of times to help out when driving on longer trips but otherwise all me in 25 years.

One of our best friends always drives and the husband just goes along with it because it's not worth the fight. She's a horrible driver too.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Until she got her new car I always drove. She likes driving her new car and I hate driving, so it works out just lovely. Plus I drive all day for work so I'm sick of it by the weekend and driving makes me sleepy.

I don't feel emasculated, I feel relaxed. Also allows me to peruse SIGforum.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Actually yes. My wife is a control freak. When I drive she is constantly "pressing the imaginary brake" or making surprised sounds. It is just easier to let her drive. And frankly I don't miss it much.

This. Most of the time.

To OP, what kind of control freak needs to always drive? I don't think it affects testosterone levels. It was called "shotgun" seat for a reason.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I can think of 1 instance in 32 years. She wanted to learn how to drive a manual trans. The clutch screamed, I screamed, she screamed. Hell we were in a 20 acre pasture and nearly wrecked, no exaggeration.

In her defense it was months later she was declared legally blind. I'd had my suspicions, but she never really knew any better.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Whomever wants to drive drives. It doesn't matter what's between our legs.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I drive 99% of the time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it affects testosterone levels. It was called "shotgun" seat for a reason.

Exactly - you'd be surprised how much better SA you can have (if you want) by watching from the passenger seat.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My wife doesn't like to drive (but does drive daily to/from work). When we're together, I do all the driving.

I pretty much drive whenever I'm in a vehicle with other people too. Whether it's work or going somewhere with friends or relatives, I drive 99% of the time. I'd rather be in control, I guess.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always drive. I truly enjoy driving, and I am blessed with some fast, quick handling sports cars, which makes it more fun. The only time my wife drives is when we're coming home from dinner/party, as she rarely drinks more than one.

I have also observed the situation cited by the OP, and I think in large part it can be explained by revoked licenses from DUI's, etc. Much more common now than in years past.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Damn right she does, in a drop-top Cadillac. Feeds me cookies at the same time, too.

Confused

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's a good driver but I'm behind the wheel 90% of the time regardless of what car were in. It just feels awkward and uncomfortable to be on the passenger side.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
... When I drive she is constantly "pressing the imaginary brake" or making surprised sounds. ...
Big Grin Do you also get the "You're too close. YOU'RE TOO CLOSE!!"? I always threaten to make the wife drive but apparently she hates driving more than she is frightened by my diving.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Interesting anecdote:
to stay on topic, I did the driving when the ex & I were still married and we went somewhere together.

but...
I remember when we would leave from East Texas to see her parents in Los Alamos, NM.... She would usually stay awake until about Dekalb, TX (9 miles from the house) and wake up about the time we got through Santa Fe, NM (maybe 25 miles from her parents' house). Then she would ask "want me to drive a while?"

My dad gave me some sound advice when I started driving: "always take YOUR vehicle. That way you can leave if you need to." The one time I didn't in HS, it did not end well.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Actually yes. My wife is a control freak. When I drive she is constantly "pressing the imaginary brake" or making surprised sounds. It is just easier to let her drive. And frankly I don't miss it much.

This. Most of the time.

To OP, what kind of control freak needs to always drive? I don't think it affects testosterone levels. It was called "shotgun" seat for a reason.

The question answers itself. A CONTROL freak. You drive, you're actively controlling the vehicle. You ride shotgun you're an observer, who is not controlling the vehicle.

To a control freak, that difference between controlling and not-controlling the vehicle is a huge deal. And when they're *not* in active control of the vehicle, they tend to try to assert control in other ways. Makes them horrible undesirable, sometimes dangerous, passengers.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
She's as good a driver as I am and I like the break. So yes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
we're both above average drivers
98.64% of the drivers around here are way below average. Fact.

As for who drives, wife or me -- who cares? We get where we're going, either way.

If traffic is dense, stop and go, we take her car and she drives. Hers is a hybrid, so fuel economy really shines in stop and go situations.

If we're going on the highway, my car is roomier and more comfortable, so I'll likely drive.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I drive 99.5% of the time. She just doesn't enjoy it and her sense of direction sucks. If she drove we would get lost frequently.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Nope, just doesn't happen. My wife isn't a bad driver, but she scares the crap out of me. Not from her driving but from her attitude.

She can't take any kind of suggestion or advice from me about her driving, or even her choice of routes. I can suggest a different route due to traffic, or knowing that there is road construction going, and she'll go almost into a rage defending herself. Frankly, I'm afraid she'll wreck during one of her tirades she gets so pissed off.

So I just drive, no matter how tired I am or if I feel bad, or whatever.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post