SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did/Does your lady friend drive you around????
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did/Does your lady friend drive you around???? Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I drive, sometimes she drives. She does most of the driving at night due to my retina issues.

On long trips I will do the bulk of the driving But over the years she has picked up more of the miles.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Feeds me cookies at the same time, too.

LMAO

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My wife hates to drive. In thirty-four years of marriage, she has driven around ten to fifteen times. She is an extremely slow and cautious driver.

She is a worse passenger. She does not pay any attention to our surroundings. I will have my foot lightly on the brake and be slowing for another vehicle. She will look up and see the vehicle near us. She sucks in her breath loudly, yells "Watch out!", and grabs the door handle. My automatic reaction is to hit the brake hard.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Her vehicle, she drives. Unless it's after dark. She can't see very well in the dark.
My vehicle, I drive, unless I've had a drink.
Long trips, we switch off.

It only seems fair.

Bruce

Pretty much. Her car is a Jeep and I have an F-150. Controls are different and I really don't care much for the Jeep either. The truck is much more comfortable on trips--try driving a Jeep across Nebraska in a crosswind, all the aerodynamics of a brick. That means I do most of the highway driving.

Now we have a third vehicle--our touring car. We'll share the driving of that.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
My Wife and both take turns driving. I would imagine the breakdown to be 55% me and 45 % her. I am fine that division of labor.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My wife drives to and from her office. She is fully capable of driving. But she dislikes driving, so when we are together she wants me to drive. In fact, If she wants to go to the store or something, I usually end up playing chauffeur, whether I want to go or not.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Actually yes. My wife is a control freak. When I drive she is constantly "pressing the imaginary brake" or making surprised sounds. It is just easier to let her drive. And frankly I don't miss it much.

Yes, same problem 'cept it's not imaginary brake pushing > back/front seat nagging at its finest.
Either she drives or I ride alone.
Seriously she is not allow in my truck or car.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
This thread is amusing... far more diversity than I bet the OP was thinking.

My wife drives a lot with her work. She's become a more aggressive driver than she used to be.
When we are together, I usually drive.

But... when we go out, like last night, I drove there, she drove home. I was drinking, she was not.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I generally drive because I want to preserve my independence and ability to leave or go as I please. I don't mind riding with someone else to a specific event or for a specific errand, but if it's more than one stop - I prefer to have more control over my comings and goings. Exceptions happen, of course, and it doesn't really bother me, but given the choice...

I don't mind taking turns on road trips, and have no real problem with how most everyone I know drives, can ride or sleep fine with most anyone I trust behind the wheel, but my vehicles have my shit in them, my radios set to my stations, my seat set the way I like, and so on. It's also easier with respect to firearms and such, disarming, storage, all that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes , we take turns , 50/50
( I make 50% fewer mistakes this way )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
When she displeases me, I make her pull me around town in a rickshaw.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I hate when my wife rides with me. Damn she’s a spaz in the front seat. So if we go to the same place she drives, or we drive separately.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
It depends. We do not live together (in separate but nearby towns). If we're having out at my place then I drive; if we're hanging out at her place then she drives. Just easier to do without having to give each other directions and what not. If we're going out on special occasions (anniversaries, birthdays, etc) then I usually drive us.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
When the wife and I go out of the house together, I ALWAYS drive and we ALWAYS take my pickup.
I usually get carsick in a passenger's seat.

I like sitting up high in my truck and don't like being down low in her MKC.
Her Volvo was even worse when she had it.

In 11 years together she has only driven with me in the car a very few times.
Coming home from the hospital (and I can't drive) and a couple times when we drive on vacation (and I'll sleep).
She doesn't like driving my truck anyway, she says it's too big.

She is fine with this setup.
It works for us...

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically, I drive because I get carsick very easily. The exceptions are on vacations, we take turns on the drive to and from (13ish hours to Florida). The other exceptions are if I just don't feel like driving, which is rare but occurs more lately.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive, not because my wife can't or is a bad driver. I have been driving professionally for close to 30 years, and it's just natural for me to be behind the wheel... Matter of fact, I just drove over 800 miles yesterday...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
We usually take my wife's vehicle, she drives. If we use my truck I drive. I just prefer driving my truck but it isn't always the right vehicle for what we are doing, hardware or appliances, yes; groceries, not so much.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I always drive unless a)I've had a drink and my wife is the designated CC person/driver or b) I'm so ill I can't sit up let alone drive, which happened once to us on a trip about 250 miles from home. Wife took me to the ER when we got home.

I just assume when I see that that the guy doesn't have a license or is specifically listed as a non driver on the insurance. But I'm an old fart. Additionally, my wife's mother has never had a driver's license so it is natural to my wife (actually expected)for the male to drive.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be interesting to know the ages of those answering as it may be a generational thing. I'm 50 and when with my girlfriend it depends on whose car it is. Before my wife passed away it was the same. But my Dad always drives, even though he scares the crap out of me. My brother's grandfather-in-law at 105 drove his child bride (80s) everywhere!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:
I think it would be interesting to know the ages of those answering as it may be a generational thing. I'm 50 and when with my girlfriend it depends on whose car it is. Before my wife passed away it was the same. But my Dad always drives, even though he scares the crap out of me. My brother's grandfather-in-law at 105 drove his child bride (80s) everywhere!

I was kind of wondering this too but I was also wondering if it is a regional thing as well.

I see lots of folks diferniating based upon whose vehicle they are taking.
In High School and College it was not uncommon for me to drive the girlfiends car or even the girlfriends parents minivan if we needed more room than my mustang. But as stated in the opening post I can recall one instance where she drove and we dated for nearly 6 years.

When my wife and I dated she had a Mustang and I am not sure I ever drove it until we were married and then I could probably count on 1 hand the times we took it anywhere instead of the car I had.
Her primary car is a Highlander and we took that pretty much everywhere over my Explorer. It was just far more comfortable.
The Explorer went by the wayside for the Sienna which is primary now we have 3 kids as they don't for so well on the Highlander.

Before we had kids I usually drove my wife to work and picked her up. Granted that started because she was working nights and had to Park about a mile and a half away then wait for a shuttle bus plus pay $400 a year for said parking pass.
So it was more out of safety and cost savings but even after she changed employers that kept up when our schedule allowed it.

We have been together for almost 10 years and can think of 1 time where she drove even on vacations and long drives.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post