SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2019-2020 Big Ten football thread - IU's Bowl on Pg 21 Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I don’t see Clemson beating LSU. But that’s why they play the games.

Agreed, but after the 1st quarter of this game, I didn't seen Clemson beating OSU. They had them on the ropes.

But like that crappy movie, 'any given Sunday', you have to show up and play the game.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Now I’m on the horns of a dilemma...who to pull for? The SEC or the ACC (first world problem I know) Wink I’m a fan of both teams.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Now I’m on the horns of a dilemma...who to pull for? The SEC or the ACC (first world problem I know) Wink I’m a fan of both teams.

You should just pull for the tigers then...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

You should just pull for the tigers then...

He can’t lose! Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Fun back and forth game. Congrats to Clemson.

Yep. Clemson came back and won. Not going to make excuses and cry. Buckeyes had an excellent season and next year is another chance.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
What today's games confirmed for me is there were 3 teams this year head and shoulders above everybody else. After OSU, LSU and Clemson there is a huge gap. I was surprised Clemson won after watching the first 28 minutes, and doubt they would have if some of the OSU players could have been more disciplined.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Fun back and forth game. Congrats to Clemson.

Yep. Clemson came back and won. Not going to make excuses and cry. Buckeyes had an excellent season and next year is another chance.

I would’ve liked to see Fields with his knee 100%. He obviously wasn’t up to running as near as much as he usually does.

Championships are nice, but most importantly TTUN was beaten again. That’s all that really matters to me.

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Dec 28th Wrap-up:
  • #18 Mogadishu on the Mississippi vs #10 PSU at 11:00 on ESPN in Arlington, TX, for the Cotton Bowl. Congrats to PSU for the decisive bowl win. As expected,m PSU won and covered largely because of their 28 point 2nd quarter performance. Brown had a great rushing day with 16 carries for 202 yards and 2 TDs, and Cain piled on another 92 yards and 2 TDs in 15 carries. On defense, PSU really got after it with 6 sacks, 4 hurries, 9 tackles for loss, and 2 INTs (1 pick 6).
  • #3 Clemson vs #2 tOSU at 7:00 on ESPN in Glendale, AZ, for the Fiesta Bowl (aka one this year's semi-final playoff bowls). Nothing to add to what has already been said the last 3 pages.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    So far, the Big Ten is 3-1 this Bowl Season.

Dec 30th:
  • Cal vs IL at 3:00 on FOX in Santa Clara, CA, for the Redbox Bowl. Pretty much a home game for Cal since it's about 45 miles from Berzerkly. Depending on which odds service you believe, the Illini are 6 to 6.5 point underdogs. Statistically, the Illini are about 7 ppg better offense and 2 ppg better defense. I don't know anything about Cal (1-2 vs ranked teams, 4-5 vs PAC-12, 3-3 at home) as I don't follow the PAC-12. Never know which Illini team is going to show up - the team that had 4 straight Big Ten wins including #6 WI and narrowly lost to #17 IA or the team that stunk up the field on Nov 30th and the first 2.5 games of the Big Ten season. I'm going with The Illini to pull off the upset.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Salty Dawg
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bcereuss:
    So the Buckeyes have to beat Clemson and the officials. Sheesh.

Three steps after making a catch, and they rule not a fumble, but incomplete. Talk about three game-changing plays

I disagree completely about that being a catch then fumble. It was just a good defensive play breaking up the reception. When the defender picked up the ball and took it in, I was floored that they signaled the TD. That didn't even remotely look like completion in real time. When they slowed it down on TV during the review, I can see how someone would think it was.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    More light than heat
    Picture of Milliron
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
    quote:
    Originally posted by bcereuss:
    So the Buckeyes have to beat Clemson and the officials. Sheesh.

Three steps after making a catch, and they rule not a fumble, but incomplete. Talk about three game-changing plays

I disagree completely about that being a catch then fumble. It was just a good defensive play breaking up the reception. When the defender picked up the ball and took it in, I was floored that they signaled the TD. That didn't even remotely look like completion in real time. When they slowed it down on TV during the review, I can see how someone would think it was.

Let me see if I understand this: The line judge ruled it was catch and a fumble, (and subsequent TD by OSU) and during the slo-mo review it looked even more like one, which means that there was indisputable evidence that the call should be overturned? Confused

Say what you want, but you can understand why the Buckeyes feel like they got screwed, particularly considering they lost the game by less than a TD. And that was the second TD taken away by the zebras in that game.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    Also keep in mind it was an SEC crew and Clemson is in the heart of SEC territory. But it’s over and next year is another opportunity to throttle TTUN. Smile

———————————————

I started with nothing,
    and still have most of it
    Picture of stiab
    posted Hide Post
    I too was surprised that was overturned, but the real reason OSU lost is they came away with 3 field goals in 3 red zone possessions.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    I’m far from a Buckeye fan, but I watched the ‘targeting’ call, and the ‘incomplete pass’ calls in real time, as well as many times over in slo-mo, and I feel both calls were incorrect.

Lawrence put himself in jeopardy, and caused the helmet to helmet hit. When I first saw the flag, I thought it was for Chase Young kinda wrenching Lawrence’s upper torso during the tackle.

And for the fumble/incomplete pass, negating the score, how many steps does the guy have to take after the catch for it to be considered a football move? He had secured it in his hands, and taken 3 steps before it was knocked out.

The Buckeyes failing to capitalize on their red zone possessions for TDs and settling for FGs instead hurt them, but I believe the refs blew those 2 calls, ruining a good game in my perspective.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Lawrence put himself in jeopardy, and caused the helmet to helmet hit. When I first saw the flag, I thought it was for Chase Young kinda wrenching Lawrence’s upper torso during the tackle.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    I beg to differ. The QB is a protected player. Having played that position it is rather an involuntary response to lower your head slightly in anticipation of getting clobbered. If not targeting, it certainly was unnecessary roughness with the extra head twist by Chase Young. JMHO.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Funny Man
    Picture of TXJIM
    posted Hide Post
    I have no skin in the game, don't care one way or the other who won. When you go from running head up, eyes up, at 4 yards out and end up looking at the other players shoes when the crown of your helmet strikes the other player it's text book targeting. Even if Lawrence doesn't crouch in anticipation and takes the crown of the helmet to the ribs, thigh, whatever....its still targeting by rule:

Targeting - Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.si.com/college/201...eting-rule-explained

Don't see how anyone could argue that call. What Lawrence did is inconsequential and the rule is as much about protecting the defender as it is the offense, leading with the top of your head is a good way to break your neck or scramble your brains.

As for the incomplete call, I agreed with the replay official there too. The number of steps is irrelevant to the call. He never possessed the ball in any traditional football posture, never put it away. He also did not make any specific "football move" before losing possession. Had he done one or the other it's a fumble, he did neither. He was still in the act of securing the catch when the defender knocked it out. There is no rule about how many steps you can take before the ball is deemed possessed unless one of those steps is a definitive football move (avoid defender, turn up field, etc....)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TXJIM,

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    Pictures don’t work for you, Jim. Go back and watch the video. Lawrence crouches and actually turns his head TOWARDS the oncoming Wade. Defenders are basically going to be forced to take out a player’s knees to avoid targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhUby8SOEbs

———————————————

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I never argued that the refs improperly called targeting per today’s rulebook. Instead, myself and others have repeatedly posted that both the intertwined targeting and helmet to helmet contact rules need to be changed. Here are the reasons:
  • targeting is automatic first down, ejection, and game suspension no matter where contact is made. You could hit the crown of your helmet on somebody’s hand.
  • After 1 QB injury on West Coast, NCAA headquarters arbitrarily expanded targeting from being the dome (ie top) of helmet to being anything above the facemask. Nobody (including refs) was interpreting the rule that way. Directly above the facemask contact is a defender with his neck rolled back in a safe contact position, but very top of helmet contact is a neck position that has repeatedly been life altering. Big difference in safety and refs impacting game outcome.
  • helmet to helmet contact is automatic first down, ejection, and game suspension no matter offensive player moves his head towards defender turning helmet to shoulder contact into helmet to helmet contact.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    PopeDaddy
    Picture of x0225095
    posted Hide Post
    Frick...is OSU still crying about the game they lost?

All the calls were correct.

Both teams looked pretty pedestrian to me but from everything we have heard for the last six months, OSU was far far overrated going into that game.

Auburn, or even, Alabama, would have beat them like a drum the other night.

Please.....Sheesh.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by x0225095:
    Frick...is OSU still crying about the game they lost?

All the calls were correct.

Both teams looked pretty pedestrian to me but from everything we have heard for the last six months, OSU was far far overrated going into that game.

Auburn, or even, Alabama, would have beat them like a drum the other night.

Please.....Sheesh.

Ohio State or Clemson would’ve easily throttled Bama or the War Beagles.

———————————————