SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professional Knowledge, the internet, personal experience, and the forum.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional Knowledge, the internet, personal experience, and the forum. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
This is one of those things where my Moderator hat will get all tangled with my personal opinion. As a disclaimer, what is about to be expressed is not the position of Sigforum. This won't become a written or unwritten rule. But as a professional, I have some issues with people posting about which things they don't have a full understanding.

We all know a member whose expertise was and often is still sought specifically. Why he isn't around, isn't just because people went to him for professional advice constantly. That would be an oversimplification.

We have a variety of professionals on the board.

We often have members asking questions, where the best information will be gathered from experienced professionals.

It is natural to want to help another member, and to offer information. In the best interest of that member, if the question doesn't pertain to your professional knowledge, at least wait a few minutes before wading in with your opinion, or what you googled. If you have direct experience, please share it in detail if it is relevant.

My expertise is in metalworking and light construction. Have you seen me posting in threads asking for legal advise? I would often echo a yearly thread about cleaning dryer vents due to overlap in experience, and I do have opinions on a variety of appliances and other fixtures.. but I know what I know and what I don't know.

I'm not telling anyone to not post in threads where members ask for help, and they aren't a professional in that field. What I'd like to see, is people just hang back a bit, and let the folks who deal with X topic on the daily, have a crack at it.

This will expedite the member who is asking for help having to wade through any misconceptions they may have, or that are raised by posts.

I want to help, and I know you do to. Please let me help where I'm best, and I'll let you.

That's not my mod hat, that's my Me hat. take it as you will.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well said. Thanks for all that you do keeping this the best forum on the internet.

The last thing that I need to comment on here would be automotive advice. Seems like automotive repair has thirty answers from a crowd of ten. Sure, I have 100+ factory shop manuals for all kinds of cars and trucks (F150, Allante', Neon, Ram, Sunbird, Viper), but I don't need the hassle. I will buy a Glock and am in it for the cat pictures. Big Grin

By the same token, There is no need for me to comment on a Beretta as I've never shot one.

Thanks for posting this.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
like, agree.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Well stated, message received.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I try to practice this tenet daily on this forum.

I’m a chemist in a paint lab, but I hate painting.
I can tell you the raw materials needed and their appropriate ratios to produce a batch of paint, but I hate to paint.
I can diagnose most problems with paint, but did I mention that I hate to paint?

I very rarely post in threads concerning paints and coatings, just to prevent coming off as a ‘holier than thou’ type, and don’t want to promote one brand over another to avoid any conflict of interest situation. Different people have different tastes, and brand loyalty is important to different people differently.

What keeps me coming back: I like Darned Tough socks, Wiha and Milwaukee tools, older muscle cars, Pro-Tech autos, cat pictures and pretty much any firearm I’ve ever shot.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have been helped a S-ton over the years with questions on a miriad of topics. I have no idea who is an expert in the field or just a regular Joe or Jane who has had some exposure. It is up to me to sort out the info given and act accordingly if I choose to.
It has been a very rare occasion when I get some asshaterie and I mean very rare.

This is another reason why I love and respect being a tiny part here.

I am not an expert on anything. So I am a guilty party.

Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I admit that I have taken a "break" from this forum once or twice due to this issue. I found myself a little too upset over this issue. That was, and is...MY PROBLEM. At times, especially back in my twenties, I've taken the internet a bit too seriously. "Gasp" right? Well, perhaps it is the very plethora of real experience here, that made me care so much to throw in my own 4 cents when I had personal and often professional advice to give. It felt like a way to give back. It's taken me a few years of maturity to not have to give advice. Perhaps the cost of professional liability insurance has driven some of that maturity also...

I find myself fortunate that I've made friends offline, or in other social media circles with some of the people who don't hang out here as often anymore. Some of the people who greatly influenced my twenties and thirties, and starting to be my fourties....have been wise members of this forum. Some of them have passed on. RIP. Many are still here. It's the members that make this place great. The mods (& creators obviously) keep it that way.

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m glad you posted this

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said. Which is largely why I have such a low post count after being here so long. I just don't know much outside of my field.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Well said. Seems a few select members chime in on every thread and seem to be an expert on everything.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way the message is delivered offense conveys a lot also!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I can immediately think of where I'm guilty of this.
As it turned out, I was the only one to reply and I have no idea of how it turned out.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3260094954

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Very well stated. Thanks, Arc.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arc. I have something to say on a few very narrow topics, but I am always dismayed at how many people tend to chime in who are not experts.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Well said.

As a (retired) attorney, I rarely even weigh in on legal threads because the question is not in my area of practice.

A lot of the “advice” on legal threads makes for entertaining reading because of how outlandishly wrong it is. Luckily, one of our resident jurists quickly salvages things before things really go south.

Of course, as you indicated, the person asking the question is better served without such fallacious advice.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Well said.

As a (retired) attorney, I rarely even weigh in on legal threads because the question is not in my area of practice.

A lot of the “advice” on legal threads makes for entertaining reading because of how outlandishly wrong it is. Luckily, one of our resident jurists quickly salvages things before things really go south.

Of course, as you indicated, the person asking the question is better served without such fallacious advice.

+1. It used to be amusing to watch people disagree with my legal analysis in areas where I practice every day, where I have some expertise, and where case law is fully developed. Now, more often than not, I read and laugh at some of the ridiculousness regarding a wide variety of legal topics. Anyone who seriously considers legal advice obtained from any board needs a check up from the neck up. Some advice, on the other hand, primarily from the better known forum lawyers, is superb. Knowing the difference is the issue.

Most of the non-lawyer posts asserted with vigor and enthusiasm are just plain wrong and are more likely to be what the poster wants the law to be rather than what it actually is.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol. That's why I have such a low post count. I defer to those with actual experience of the situation. When I can help I will offer how I handled the problem.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you NEVER know who knows what on the internet

ever

take any response with several grains of salt. frauds are everywhere - in 'real life' and of course on forums

plus always remember 'medical errors' from TRAINED health care practitioners kill thousands every year. fact

i enjoy this forum for discussion - not to make major life / death decisions

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I thought, perhaps, this thread was going to go in direction of limiting requests for help. And immediately I thought of appliance brad. Absolutely one of the most generous folks on all the internets.

So what you’re trying to say is not to be the second post stating, “I don’t know, but”...seen it many times.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post