SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Moore wins primary over Luther Strange Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
A poll by the National Republican Senatorial Committee has Moore down by 12 points. I call fake news on this.
Link

Ya think? These maggots will try anything short of killing Moore.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
2yrs, 6yrs, who cares, the idea of giving up the decision to another in yet another case is the crazy part. Our country is already representative enough, thank you. And in general, politicians are amongst the most full of shit and untrustworthy humans in existence. It's barely tolerable as it is, and it's already a monumental task to keep it even sort of honest. Hardly anyone worth a fuck even wants to be a politician, and very, very, few are good. Voluntarily giving them even more power is some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard.

No offense to chellim1, I'm sure he means well, but not only NO, fuck no, not ever. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A poll by the National Republican Senatorial Committee has Moore down by 12 points. I call fake news on this.
Link

My guess is McConnell is putting pressure on Sessions to be a write in candidate. Sessions won 97% of the vote in 2014 and he certainly would hold the seat. I'm also guessing Sessions wants to stay right where he is.

This poll was designed to put pressure on Sessions to accept the write in. If you don't we are going to lose the seat type of pressure.

McConnell and the establishment would sooner see the dems gain the seat then see Moore in it.

That is a fairly old poll from Nov 12-13 and others show Moore ahead now but as we know from last November, not too many polls are accurate and certainly some seem to manufacture results to try and shape opinion. Interesting that Sessions did not do well in that poll either LOL. Sessions has also made it clear he has no interest in being senator again.

"Several sources who reviewed the poll results said it also tested how Attorney General Jeff Sessions would fare as a write-in candidate, and the results were not favorable. Sessions held the seat for two decades before he joined the Trump administration, and he has been floated as a potential write-in candidate.

The survey was conducted Nov. 12-13 among 500 registered Alabama voters. POLITICO obtained a summary of some, but not all, of the poll numbers."

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
2yrs, 6yrs, who cares, the idea of giving up the decision to another in yet another case is the crazy part. Our country is already representative enough, thank you. And in general, politicians are amongst the most full of shit and untrustworthy humans in existence. It's barely tolerable as it is, and it's already a monumental task to keep it even sort of honest. Hardly anyone worth a fuck even wants to be a politician, and very, very, few are good. Voluntarily giving them even more power is some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard.

No offense to chellim1, I'm sure he means well, but not only NO, fuck no, not ever. Smile

Yes, I mean well. As I believe did the founding fathers.

Three horrible things happened in 1913, IMO.
The 16th and 17th amendments, and the Federal Reserve Act. All of these were brought to us by the "progressives" who sought to increase the power and scope of the federal government. They succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations at the time. Before that, the federal government didn't exceed 5% of GDP and the States had much more power.

quote:
And in general, politicians are amongst the most full of shit and untrustworthy humans in existence. It's barely tolerable as it is, and it's already a monumental task to keep it even sort of honest. Hardly anyone worth a fuck even wants to be a politician, and very, very, few are good. Voluntarily giving them even more power is some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard.

Exactly. I fully agree.
Which is exactly why you want the power closer to the people, in the States, rather than farther away, in Washington, DC.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Exactly. I fully agree.
Which is exactly why you want the power closer to the people, in the States, rather than farther away, in Washington, DC.

What could be closer to the people than voting for candidates?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
THE INCOME TAX, THE FEDERAL RESERVE, AND THE 17th AMENDMENT

Wilson was a believer in the power of the state and he led the nation into centralization and bureaucracy. In 1913, when he took office, Congress, along with the Europeans, began handing to him the tools to attain the goals that he had for the nation. To accomplish what he wanted there had to be key changes in the power system as defined by the Constitution. The 16th Amendment giving Congress the power to tax incomes was passed in 1909, but after years of fighting was finally ratified in February 1913, just in time for Mr. Wilson’s use. The 17th Amendment calling for the direct election of US Senators was passed in 1912, but not ratified until April 1913, once again, just in time for Mr. Wilson.

These two amendments changed the power structure of the nation and altered the relationship between citizens and the federal government. Occurring so closely together, along with other things that happened a few months later, it was the equivalent of a second American revolution. The direct election of Senators greatly diminished the republican form of government envisioned by the founders in which the states had influence and even control of half of the legislative branch. Senators had previously been beholden to the state legislatures and this insulated them from day to day popular opinion. There was no need for the multi-million dollar election campaigns that we see today. This also focused the Senate on the interests of the states rather than being just another popular assembly. Direct election of Senators made them just another group of populist politicians.

The 16th and 17th Amendments contributed a great deal to the fundamental changes to the constitutional system that were necessary in order for President Wilson to complete his agenda for America. It seems that every President has his agenda and he has no shortage of people who want to help him accomplish it.

The 16th Amendment brought about the enactment of a national income tax during Mr. Wilson’s first year in office, but it was only on the “rich.” At that time, rich people were defined as those earning over $4,000 per year. In today’s terms, thanks to the Federal Reserve, that would be about $80,000 per year – not rich then and not rich now.

The important thing was that the dam was breached, the Rubicon crossed, or however you want to say it. The power to tax income was the thing holding back the march of federal power and purchased influence based on spending by the federal government. It was a short jump from that to the federal government’s being able to buy anything and anyone. Before Woodrow Wilson was President, federal government spending never exceeded 3% of gross domestic product except during the war of 1812 and the Civil War.

At that time, revenue was still derived constitutionally, that is, from customs, levies, import duties and other excises and tariffs. During Mr. Wilson’s two terms in office, spending rose to more than 20% of GDP. So Woodrow Wilson had broken the interest of the several states with the 17th Amendment and their influence was on the decline; he also had broken the dam holding back federal spending with the power to tax income.

He still had another river to cross however before his destruction of Constitutional government was complete and that was accomplished with his support of the Federal Reserve Act passed December 23, 1913, in the wee hours of the morning with Washington all but deserted for the Christmas holidays. You get a good look at the Federal Reserve and how it works from G. Edward Griffin’s book, The Creature From Jekyll Island and Eustace Mullins book, Secrets of the Federal Reserve. The name Jekyll Island comes from Jekyll Island, Georgia, where all the bankers went in secret to rewrite and take control of the United States financial system.

The Federal Reserve Act stated that its purposes were:

To provide for the establishment of Federal Reserve banks;
To furnish an “elastic currency” (they’ve certainly done that haven’t they?);
To afford means of re-discounting commercial paper;
To establish a more effective supervision of banking in the United States and,
For “other purposes.”

The Fed was composed of a board of governors in Washington DC and 12 regional Federal Reserve banks. By statute, the responsibilities of these banks are to:

Conduct the nation’s monetary policy by influencing the money and credit conditions in the economy;
Supervise and regulate banking institutions to ensure safety and soundness of the nation ‘s banking and financial system;
Maintain the stability of the financial system;
Provide certain financial services to the U.S. government financial institutions and to public and foreign official institutions including a major role in operating the nation’s payment system.

The Federal Reserve was created as, and has followed hard to remain, “an independent central bank.” This is a totally European concept reflecting the need to provide banking services to the sovereigns – so “welcome to America Mr. Monarch.” The Fed is independently run within the government and its decisions do not have to be ratified by Congress, the President or anyone.

It is still, however, a creature of government and the creature is not greater than its creator. The Constitution gives to Congress the power to coin money and to set its value and therefore Congress maintains oversight over it. Thanks to Mr. Wilson’s assistance in 1913, Congress delegated, or assigned, its power to coin money and regulate its value to the Federal Reserve. It could take it back however, any time. Congress could simply repeal the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 and it would be back in control of the nation’s monetary system.

In simple terms, folks, the Federal Reserve is a European style central bank that can create on its own authority and subject only to very weak indirect oversight by Congress, credit denominated in U.S. dollars. It is now a credit based economy – that’s the way it’s run.

The 16th Amendment, which gave the President power to tax income, broke the dam holding back federal spending. The 17th Amendment broke the Congress’s connection to the states. The Federal Reserve gave control of the U.S. monetary system to the banks, thus President Wilson was handed in his first year in office, a credit backed elastic fiat currency. These were the beginnings of the enlargement of federal government power based on spending financed by taxes, borrowing and its resultant national debt.

https://www.constitutionparty.com/tag/17th-amendment/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else here shocked that people are admitting that they would vote for Roy Moore no matter what: in other words, even if he admitted he was a pedophile, they would still vote for a pedophile over any democrat?

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Is anyone else here shocked...

Not in the least.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
When you pull a tale such as this, insert Gloria Allred, a 40 year old accusation, lots of "she said" "she's lying", every paragon of morality within the political system shouting "burn the judge" 30 days from the election, we have every right to be a touch skeptical of the veracity AND the motives.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anyone else here shocked that people are admitting that they would vote for Roy Moore no matter what: in other words, even if he admitted he was a pedophile, they would still vote for a pedophile over any democrat?

It may come as a shock to some, but the Senate has never been completely free of undesirable characters. Why look down your nose at Moore?

Alcoholics, philanderers, perverts, haters, etc. Sheets Byrd, all three Kennedys, LBJ, Strom Thurmond, Huey Long, the list goes on and on.

I recall when the sanctimonious bastards refused to confirm John Tower as Secretary of Defense over allegations of alcohol and womanizing.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

In the meantime, I’m terribly worried about how a heterosexual male can run for office without the serious risk that desparate opponents can get ruinous and false accusations made, without the slightest practical way to confront and refute, even if it is possible, given the absence of objective evidence of events often occurring decades before.

The stakes here are the highest.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am utterly shocked that there is a current democrat senator from NJ who right now has been charged for corruption including having sex with prostitute children, who had been forced into prostitution, and not a single democrat has called for him to resign and no one in MSM has either. Why is that?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, the job doesn't include being around children.

Anyone heard of 'Ban the box" ??? It's is a democrat invention. Why would it not apply here?

He could do his job despite his "disability"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

I am utterly shocked that there is a current democrat senator from NJ who right who has been charged for corruption including having sex with prostitute children, who had been forced into prostitution, and not a single democrat has called for him to resign and no one in MSM has either. Why is that?

That's how politics work.

When it's your guy under attack you form a circle around him and fire outward to defend and when it's the other side who's in trouble, you turn inward and aim at him in the middle.

Throw in some righteous indignation and condemnation and repeat as necessary.

That's politics for you.

Every organization has the usavory and undesirable. Baseball has cheats and manipulation with those of ill-morals and questionable repute. The Catholic church has pedophiles. Teachers are doing students in high school. My grandmother had a tin of dipping snuff. Mrs. Butterworth's boobs aren't as big today as they were on the older syrup bottles.

Only the naive are shocked by the lack of purity at all levels.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

...When it's your guy under attack you form a circle around him and fire outward to defend...

Uh...I'm not seeing many Republicans defending Moore. And it's not like they're saying nothing, they're joining the Dems in attacking him. It's almost like the GOP WANTS to lose control of the Senate.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Mo Brooks nails it:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...mage-to-our-country/

Rep. Mo Brooks: ‘I Will Vote for Roy Moore’ Because ‘Democrats Will Do Great Damage to Our Country’

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) said he will be voting in the Alabama special election next month for Judge Roy Moore, the man who beat him in the primary, because it is important to have conservatives in Congress.
“America faces huge challenges that are vastly more important than contested sexual allegations from four decades ago,” Brooks told AL.com in a text message.

“Who will vote in America’s best interests on Supreme Court justices, deficit and debt, economic growth, border security, national defense, and the like? Socialist Democrat Doug Jones will vote wrong. Roy Moore will vote right. Hence, I will vote for Roy Moore.”

“There are millions of people in America who would lie in a heartbeat if it meant adding another Democrat to the Senate,” Brooks said in the text message.

Brooks and other conservatives on Capitol Hill are being sought out by reporters to find out whether they support Moore following recent allegations by several women that he made sexual advances toward them while they were teenagers four decades ago.

Moore has denied the allegations and has vowed to stay in the race.

“Alabamians will not be fooled by this #InsideHitJob. Mitch McConnell’s days as Majority Leader are coming to an end very soon. The fight has just begun,” Moore tweeted on Tuesday.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...When it's your guy under attack you form a circle around him and fire outward to defend...

Uh...I'm not seeing many Republicans defending Moore. And it's not like they're saying nothing, they're joining the Dems in attacking him. It's almost like the GOP WANTS to lose control of the Senate.

The Establishment Republicans want him to lose since they've weighed things and figured that a D is easier to work with and go along with than an anti-Establishment maverick of sorts.

The Republicans don't want to lose control of the Senate but they'd rather have Moore lose than have a Dem hold the seat. That's how messed up the Republicans are.

I'd venture to say that if all of these stories about him are true, a sitting judge likely has more power over people on a daily basis than a Senator lost in a chamber of 100. I'd rather piss off a Senator than cross a sitting judge, state, federal or even administrative. No good comes from being on the wooden block side of the gavel.

These stories and accusations seem suspect, especaially the writing in the yearbook, much like the Dan Rather Word document about Bush that was a fake. That still leaves others however.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is McConnell is putting pressure on Sessions to be a write in candidate. Sessions won 97% of the vote in 2014 and he certainly would hold the seat. I'm also guessing Sessions wants to stay right where he is.

This poll was designed to put pressure on Sessions to accept the write in. If you don't we are going to lose the seat type of pressure.

Let's take it one step further. If Sessions resigns to rejoin the Senate, the inevitable noise from the Dems and the media is going to be that Sessions "wasn't protecting Trump from all the investigations" and had to be forced out of the way so that Trump could put someone more compliant in the Attorney General slot.

Whether true or not, it would be a mess Trump would have to slog through. It might even weaken Trump's hand for a while, just as it would certainly weaken his next Attorney General. By the logic of DC politics, though, a relatively weaker Trump means a relatively stronger McConnell. Ol' Pushing Turtle will have done his job by making the Republican majority in the Senate a bit more solid, he'll have successfully posed as the voice of reason in both DC and the GOP, and on that basis he'll demand that Trump bends to what he wants more deeply and more often.

If only to keep Trump out of trouble, of course.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

Let's take it one step further. If Sessions resigns to rejoin the Senate, the inevitable noise from the Dems and the media is going to be that Sessions "wasn't protecting Trump from all the investigations" and had to be forced out of the way so that Trump could put someone more compliant in the Attorney General slot.

Whether true or not, it would be a mess Trump would have to slog through. It might even weaken Trump's hand for a while, just as it would certainly weaken the next Attorney General. By the logic of DC politics, though, a relatively weaker Trump means a relatively stronger McConnell. Ol' Pushing Turtle will have done his job by making the Republican majority in the Senate a bit more solid, he'll have successfully posed as the voice of reason in both DC and the GOP, and on that basis he'll demand that Trump bends to what he wants more deeply and more often.

And that folks is a pro analysis. That's the end game for Mitch.

Even Chuck Todd said it was odd for Mitch to so quickly call for Moore's resignation as though it was scripted. If anyone, especially a retired federal judge like Mitch, should know that accusations are easy and free and it's only guilt when there's a verdict or a plea.

When you see Democrats calling for Moore's removal from the Senate right after he wins, you are seeing a a handful of Senators deciding they know what's best for their body and the nation instead of the will of the voters.

The entire attitude and POA is to remove the burr under the saddle that is called Trump and anyone and everyone is fair game to that end.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Even Chuck Todd said it was odd for Mitch to so quickly call for Moore's resignation as though it was scripted. If anyone, especially a retired federal judge like Mitch, should know that accusations are easy and free and it's only guilt when there's a verdict or a plea.

Mitch isn’t a retired federal judge, never was a judge at all. He did serve as a Deputy Assistant Attorney General or something like that.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
My error for running his federal AG work with his county work. Wiki says he was a local judge, not federal, and was federal AG too.

Thanks for pointing that out.