SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alright pilots, who's in for a group buy to fly an F-104?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alright pilots, who's in for a group buy to fly an F-104? Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
I mean they have to offer group rates right?

Starfighters offers flight training and backseat time in an F-104. Gotta' figure out how much blood I can part with. Maybe I have a friend or two I can sell to human traffickers...something.

I'm sure my wife would be fine with it. I have good life insurance. Big Grin

quote:

F-104 FLIGHT TRAINING INSTRUCTION OVERVIEW

This limited-access flight training is designed to enhance confidence and flight safety through comprehensive ground training sessions and back-seat flight operations. This course provides a one-on-one overview of the aircraft’s key systems, pre-flight, in-flight and post-flight procedures, safety protocols, physiological and human factors, and the fundamentals of piloting the legendary F-104.

The time required to complete F-104 Flight Training varies, but in general, pilots should allow at least three days to complete the program.

Training Includes

Equipment fitting and operation, egress and ejection seat training, life raft and survival training, ground school, cockpit familiarization and pre-flight and post-flight briefings.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that would be a hoot

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep. Hootin' and howlin' in a Zipper.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back-seat only? Better be giving a pretty good discount for that. Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I am down! I have a left testicle I can part with.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, riding a missile with tiny wings would be a rush. I couldn't afford the fuel for a 30 second flight let alone a longer one, so it'll never happen. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Those tiny wings had such a sharp leading edge that they were covered to protect ground crews from injuries.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Yep, riding a missile with tiny wings would be a rush. I couldn't afford the fuel for a 30 second flight let alone a longer one, so it'll never happen. Eek

Jim
Aw c'mon. don't give up. 30 seconds would only cost about 12 dollars or so...for the fuel that is. LOL. You got this.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who flew a lot of the old Century series fighters, with a lot of time in the F-102 and F-106's.

He told me when he did his transition into the F-104 he had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach the entire time. Did not like the aircraft at all.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I did NOT need to see this! I've always loved the F-104.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

The F-104 flys like a wad of keys.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that they will offer SIGForum members a special group rate if 15 members sign up.

The bad news is all 15 members have to fly in the back seat at the same time.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I used to watch the F104's fly out of CFB Cold Lake all the time - what a rush watching them take off, as much fun watching them land...

spindly little gear

got a chance to see them up close and sat in the cockpit of a lot of them - all slightly different

the visibility with the canopy down was pretty spectacular - you were sitting right up front and on top - almost nothing to obstruct the view except directly over the nose

If I remember right, you wore a pair of spurs on your flight boots that were connected to the take up reels at the bottom of the ejection seat, if you had to leave the airplane while it was still in the air it yanked your feel to the seat so they wouldn't flail about

The don't say how much the sessions are on their website - I am guessing is a $20,000 experience

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
24 October 1977 - F-104RB - Red Baron - Darryl Greenamyer - World absolute low altitude speed record of 988.26 mph (1.590.5kmh)

With his own build hybrid F-104 Starfighter powered by a former US NAVY Phantom J-79 engine, Darryl managed to reach an official world absolute low altitude speed record of 988.26 mph (1,606km/h) at Mud Lake near Tonopah, Nevada.

Link to F104 Records:
http://www.i-f-s.nl/f-104-records/

Wiki link on F104 low altitude record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N104RB_Red_Baron

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
The don't say how much the sessions are on their website - I am guessing is a $20,000 experience
Does that include the checkride for the type rating?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Those tiny wings had such a sharp leading edge that they were covered to protect ground crews from injuries.

I've been up close to a few of them, and those leading edges are just as sharp as advertised. The last one I saw had metal shields attached to the leading edges, but there was a slight gap that allowed us to rub our fingers on them. The people with me were amazed at how sharp they were.

Surprising to me was that the cockpit was actually quite roomy, especially compared to the F4-C Phantom II, which was cramped by comparison. I fit in the F-104, but not the F4-C.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the time I was flash frozen at K.I. Sawyer, the Canucks would come down and visit us with the Starfighter. When they left they often did a high speed climb. I wanted to break out in song with O Canada!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I will have to read their website again - might be nice to get a type rating on a 104, but where can you actually use it?

Big Grin

getting seat qualified and going through the high altitude chamber isn't a huge deal...

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I will have to read their website again - might be nice to get a type rating on a 104, but where can you actually use it? Big Grin
You can never tell when it might come in handy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/...4270&s-type=aircraft

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18