SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are we Alone in the all of Space ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we Alone in the all of Space ? Login/Join 
Chance favors only
the prepared mind.
Picture of Dad250
posted
Are we alone ?

Regardless of your answer - should we be signalling into space using directional antennas ?

Good article in the NYTimes - notice it mentions HAM radio receivers and the positions of various luminaries in the scientific community.

History shows that no good comes to the lesser advanced culture when someone finds them...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...nytcore-iphone-share

SIG P229 9mm
Springfield Armory XD-9 9mm

AUT PAX, AUT BELLUM

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Posts: 550 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I vote to not signal our galactic overlords...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. We have only had ham radio for little more than 100 years.

Those guys haven't even heard us yet, let alone answered. This assumes they might want to after they hear what we talk about.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If they have caught any of our nightly news, it's no wonder they don't want to talk to us.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we are no where near as alone as most think, but its because we choose it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're alone in the sense that the Universe is so vast, the distances between active civilizations are too great to be traversed, unless we're talking about two different planets in the same solar system (which is unlikely).

However, given the number is stars in the Universe, life elsewhere is a mathematical and logical certainty.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Couldn't hurt.

If you play the odds, with the nearly infinite planets out there and the nearly random way matter is distributed throughout the universe, then it's nearly certain that other life exists.

But until we invent faster than light communications, humanity will be long dead by the time our signals reach an intelligent species out there. And unless that species has faster than light travel, we'll be twice long dead before they get here.

Look at it this way: there's a chance that there's a single cell organism out there somewhere. By the time our signal reaches them, there's a chance that organism might have had time to evolve into a technologically superior culture. Humanity will have been long dead. And by the time one of their envoys arrive here, their civilization will likely also be long dead. On the timeline of the universe, life is only a brief flash. Not only are we contending with great distances, we're also dealing with a timing issue. It's like trying to hit a fire cracker with a .22lr, at the exact moment a fire cracker pops, across the Atlantic ocean, without knowing the location of the fire cracker or when it's going to pop.

No doubt there's life out there. Doesn't mean we are any less alone.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
No way we're alone, and I would certainly hope that should that signal be received we are significantly more advanced than we are now by the time any curious/marauding aliens stop by to visit.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're alone in the sense that the Universe is so vast, the distances between active civilizations are too great to be traversed, unless we're talking about two different planets in the same solar system (which is unlikely).

However, given the number is stars in the Universe, life elsewhere is a mathematical and logical certainty.

Para and Stephan Hawking agree, mathematically we are not alone.

Para and I agree, the space is so great, we can't traverse the distance to matter.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Read that if the Sun were the size of a tennis ball and located in Dallas, the Earth would be the size of a grain of sand and the nearest sun to us would be in Boston, the next nearest in Moscow. And we gather all our "knowledge" about those stars from a piece of glass which is infinitely small on that grain of sand.

All those stars we see at night are pin holes in a curtain, reflections of our ourselves, or other atoms which comprise another being.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link / post!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. We have only had ham radio for little more than 100 years.

Those guys haven't even heard us yet, let alone answered. This assumes they might want to after they hear what we talk about.

Light, and radio waves, travel from earth to Alpha Centauri in 4.37 years.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Whenever this topic comes up I always encourage people to read this link:

The Fermi Paradox

It's a very interesting take on the topic.

Oh, and if you like that you should take a look at their 'Putting Time in Perspective' discussion as well. Really cool.

Putting Time in Perspective

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

The Fermi Paradox

Oh, and if you like that you should take a look at their 'Putting Time in Perspective' discussion as well. Really cool.

That was a fascinating read, thank you.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I believe we are the only sentient life in the u iverse.

However, if I am wrong, we should NOT try to contact anybody.

Some guy said once in a documentary about SETI that by doing so we would risk "suffering the same fate as any other human 'discovered' race.". .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to believe there MAY be other intelligent life in the Universe, but I don't care about it one way or the other. I don't think there would ever be any FTF between us and them. I also don't worry about being conquered by advanced civilizations for the same reason--we won't ever meet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
As an amateur astronomer I spend a lot of time looking up at the stars and the thought always crosses my mind.

However I always temper the thought with the fact that with the exception of solar system objects, looking into space is looking back in time.

That bright red star Sirius is 8.6 LY away - what you see tonight is what it looked like 8.6 years ago. And that's relatively close (but not the closest star to earth). The Andromeda galaxy is 2.54 MILLION light years away - what we see today is 2.54 million years old. Fortunately its moving on a collision course with us so over the next few years it will be getting closer Smile

Space is really big and I find it exceptionally difficult to even consider that we are the sole life form anywhere in the universe.

The fact that we haven't been contacted yet is most likely because no one is close enough to have heard us, or even know we are here.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
We are going to be a food source.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Now, back to the thread.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

The Fermi Paradox

That was a fascinating read, thank you.

Disagree partially. Chapter 3 was a craptastic dumpster fire. Otherwise, had some stimulating musings....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post