SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Although the past week seemed catastrophic for the equity markets, it wasn't close to a meltdown. I think there has to be a 7% drop in the S&P for even a Level 1 circuit breaker to trip, and we didn't get close to that.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck416:
I have had a significant pile of cash waiting for this opportunity. But I don’t think we’ll see the bottom of this thing till perhaps mid-March, if then.

Agree 100% but I'm more thinking like July. We'll see if we're right soon enough.

Why wait???? SELL SHORT NOW, then buy back when it hits the bottom, then buy your own shares.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Although the past week seemed catastrophic for the equity markets, it wasn't close to a meltdown. I think there has to be a 7% drop in the S&P for even a Level 1 circuit breaker to trip, and we didn't get close to that.

DJIA went down 10% last week.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

DJIA went down 10% last week.

Circuit breakers are intraday trading curbs:

Level 1 halt (7%)
  • Trading will halt for 15 minutes if drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.

Level 2 halt (13%)
  • Trading will halt for 15 minutes if a second drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.

Level 3 halt (20%)
  • At any time during the trading day—trading shall halt for the remainder of the trading day.

(The Dow was down 12% for the week, and the S&P 500, which the breakers are based on, was down 11.5%.)

NYSE Circuit Breakers

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."
  •  
    Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    Black Monday '87 was nuts. Equivalent today of about 6000 Dow points, down in one day.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by FishOn:
    Black Monday '87 was nuts. Equivalent today of about 6000 Dow points, down in one day.

Yep, the Dow lost 22% in a single day, dropping 508 points from 2,246 to 1,738. The incident triggered the development of trading curbs, aka circuit breakers.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by FishOn:

Yep, the Dow lost 22% in a single day, dropping 508 points from 2,246 to 1,738. The incident triggered the development of trading curbs, aka circuit breakers.

I remember it well. Nobody had PCs and you could only pull up one quote at a time. Orders went through with great delay, and at prices much lower than quoted. It was a shitshow.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    Don’t forget who started this shit:

Rod Rosenstein’s sister started this panic selling, there was a graph that showed this began RIGHT AFTER she made her announcement that the USA was basically fucked because of Coronavirus.

Don’t tell me there isn’t a Swamp. Mad

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    I remember 87 well but I was then and am now buy and hold. As I recall the 80s crash, while violent, was just a blip on bull run. The 1700 it fell to was a high a year prior and the lost gain was recovered within about a year. Growing pains. 1980s started with an $800 dow.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I suspect earnings revisions will begin and there not going to be bullish. I worry that with widespread Covid 19 testing to begin, we are going to be seeing a large increase in numbers. This market has not priced in a high probability of a large economic downturn.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bytes:
    quote:
    Originally posted by chuck416:
    I have had a significant pile of cash waiting for this opportunity. But I don’t think we’ll see the bottom of this thing till perhaps mid-March, if then.

Agree 100% but I'm more thinking like July. We'll see if we're right soon enough.

Why wait???? SELL SHORT NOW, then buy back when it hits the bottom, then buy your own shares.

Go ahead and do it Jimmy. Risky but could turn out to be a very good move. I'm going to stand on the sidelines a watch for awhile.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    Well, the market sure bought the dip! I had several stocks on my radar, but didn't quite have the balls yet.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I think that you folks looking for the bottom have missed it badly!! My portfolio went up over 10K in the early hours of trading, and has not looked back. The "money folks" got their correction.....and big $$$ profits.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
    I think that you folks looking for the bottom have missed it badly!! My portfolio went up over 10K in the early hours of trading, and has not looked back. The "money folks" got their correction.....and big $$$ profits.

That’s why I don’t mess with it. Just be consistent over the course of your life and you’ll be set later in life.

The bottom line is you have to be right twice. When to get out and when to get back in.

It’s like catching a falling knife.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I think that you folks looking for the bottom have missed it badly!! My portfolio went up over 10K in the early hours of trading, ...

Yup. Ours got a big boost, today, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:
    quote:
    I think that you folks looking for the bottom have missed it badly!! My portfolio went up over 10K in the early hours of trading, ...

Yup. Ours got a big boost, today, too.

The Dow was up 1,300 points today. That's a good start to the recovery.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
    posted Hide Post
    Largest one day increase in history?

Bubbatime will be by shortly to tell us we are burning money and it’s headed for 12000

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    So much for Black Monday.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    I certainly don't think it is going to take 18 months, as some "experts" have suggested, to return to record high levels again thankfully! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    Big movers today: Charmin and Campbells Soup

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post