SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Thanks for the answers so far. So as someone who is waiting on the low how close are we possibly to the bottom? I dont plan to wait until the absolute bottom as I dont want to miss lower prices entirely to enter the market. I have a price in my mind but dont know if its realistic due to the stimulus's and help being offered seemingly by the larger economies. (I didnt stay in a holiday inn express last night so if none of this makes sense pretend I only started looking at my own stocks within the last month or so)

of course there's no way to know. no expert knows -- no one on this board -- or any board -- does either

in the end you have to do what you are comfortable with -- and can sleep at night, etc

fully understanding you could miss out on some here / some there... by getting in too early or too late

one thing you could do is look at :

money I might need in the next 6 months

money I might need in the next 2-4 years

money i need 5+ years out (ie retirement if you're younger)

once you have established 'Goal Clarity' you can start making decisions

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The question of where is the bottom gets tiresome and nobody can predict. The answer here to that is question is basically always the same. Just consistently put in what you can when you can and over time it all averages out. Right?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
shoulda got in yesterday. Razz Smile

no crystal balls but my gut says buy and I am. Recent purchases (last 5 days) syy, sybt, wsbc, mo. Like some more vz, too but need more money. All in except for the nest egg and I won't bet the farm on the stock market.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old Wall Street Saying: "Never try to catch a falling knife."

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Warren Buffett Quote: “When it's raining gold, reach for a bucket, not a thimble.”

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like there is a lot of resistance where the DOW is at now, IE it seems like we're near or at the bottom, BUT any news could change that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It seems like there is a lot of resistance where the DOW is at now, IE it seems like we're near or at the bottom, BUT any news could change that.

if this drug news is legit I could see it popping +2,000

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

if this drug news is legit I could see it popping +2,000

----------------------------

Yup.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Thanks for the answers so far. So as someone who is waiting on the low how close are we possibly to the bottom? I dont plan to wait until the absolute bottom as I dont want to miss lower prices entirely to enter the market. I have a price in my mind but dont know if its realistic due to the stimulus's and help being offered seemingly by the larger economies. (I didnt stay in a holiday inn express last night so if none of this makes sense pretend I only started looking at my own stocks within the last month or so)

There is no way to know what the bottom could be because there are way too many unknowns about the current crisis and the govt response to it. We are also dealing with a highly emotional market, so even if we knew everything with certainty, there is no guarantee that the market response would be rational. In the best of times with perfect information, no one can ever tell you with any accuracy where the market is going tomorrow, next week or next year. We are definitely not in the best of times.

I would recommend not investing money that you may need in the next 3-5 years. I would go in slowly over time. The situation is still extremely uncertain, and additional panics can be expected. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get invested or fear that you are missing out. You will very likely have more chances to get in.

And there is nothing wrong with waiting until the situation becomes a little more clear. You won't get the bottom, but you'll remove some of the risk. Buying on the way up costs you a few points of return but it might be easier to sleep at night.

I started taking small bites when the SP hit 2500. I'll continue to nibble as we go lower. Bought some more yesterday. What you buy is also as important as when you buy so make sure you are buying quality.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and well thought out thread. We bailed into cash on 2/27. We’re both early 70’s and don’t need another 2008. I track our former 22 stocks (that I self direct) on an Excel spreadsheet. We’d be down another 15% if we would have stayed. I’m considering redeploying some cash on these big down days to slowly go back in.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not a fortune teller, but I am confident that we have not seen the bottom yet. There is plenty of bad news for the market to process over the next few weeks as the ripples continue.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Im not a fortune teller, but I am confident that we have not seen the bottom yet. There is plenty of bad news for the market to process over the next few weeks as the ripples continue.

That Is my feeling. One of my customers is on the board of 5 different publicly traded companies. He sold most of his equities a month ago, he sold his remaining 12% today, if that tells you something.

posted Hide Post
Well I bid on some with cash I wont miss terribly if it all goes away. I think the stocks could drop further but I made peace with buying at the current price which is still damn good. If there is a further decline I'll buy more and if it is at the bottom then I'll be pleased with my decision. Either way paying the insurance with a smaller bid today was for the best. I'm surprised but I actually think this was the best outcome at the moment.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Blind hog finds an acorn but I bought Sysco syy yesterday morning @ 27.5 and it closed today @ $37.11. Also bought Stock yards bank sybt @ 26.5 today and it closed @ 28.19. Papa Johns hit $30 briefly yesterday and closed today at 49.33. I didn't add yesterday so all I can do is yell ain't that cheap. Smile

I liked that today started out down 3-400 and then closed up 188. Might a bottom have been hit? Be cautious and buy good stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:

No one knows, of course, but my educated opinion agrees. Wait until you see the earnings reports next quarter after all the plant shutdowns and lack of people even having the chance to buy. This is long term going to have a major effect.

One could argue that is priced in, but companies will report losses greater than expected.

What do you think will happen when every Californian (and future states for sure) can't go out and spend money?

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That Is my feeling. One of my customers is on the board of 5 different publicly traded companies. He sold most of his equities a month ago, he sold his remaining 12% today, if that tells you something.

Well that is reassuring...

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well that is reassuring...

He's planning on getting back in, but doesn't feel like we're anywhere close to the bottom.

posted Hide Post
Bye, bye, Boeing.

I was not very concerned about the virus initially. Now that Nancy, Chuck, Dianne and the rest of the Congress Critters are going to "help", I am much more concerned. Gavin shuts down California, and I am more than concerned.

I bought Boeing about a year ago for over $400 a share. Within a week, the first 737 Max fell from the sky. I held on to my position, secure in the knowledge that the wonderful engineers and management at one of America's premier companies would soon overcome a minor adversity, which I thought was in some significant part attributable to the poor training of young foreign pilots.

This year, we face the near elimination of international air travel, and a huge reduction in domestic air travel. Nobody wants to fly anywhere any more. I read Delta Airlines' letter from the CEO saying that they would be dramatically reducing capital spending. I see parked jets.

Now Boeing wants $60 billion in taxpayer bailouts. Nikki Haley resigns from the Boeing Board of Directors, and again earns my respect.

Today Citi cuts Boeing's price target from $400 to $150, while maintaining a "Buy" rating.

I sold Boeing at $97 today. This is the first equity I have sold since Valentine's Day this year. Boeing smells like bankruptcy to me. Yes, they will still make some airplanes, but current stockholders will be wiped out, ala GM and Chrysler.

Very sad.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw one of the big banking firms forecast a 24% reduction in U.S. economic activity (from 5% not long ago). That is huge.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
While you're probably right to sell, for a number of reasons, Boeing is too important to the government for them to let it die. It may go into chapter 11 though.

quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Bye, bye, Boeing.

I was not very concerned about the virus initially. Now that Nancy, Chuck, Dianne and the rest of the Congress Critters are going to "help", I am much more concerned. Gavin shuts down California, and I am more than concerned.

I bought Boeing about a year ago for over $400 a share. Within a week, the first 737 Max fell from the sky. I held on to my position, secure in the knowledge that the wonderful engineers and management at one of America's premier companies would soon overcome a minor adversity, which I thought was in some significant part attributable to the poor training of young foreign pilots.

This year, we face the near elimination of international air travel, and a huge reduction in domestic air travel. Nobody wants to fly anywhere any more. I read Delta Airlines' letter from the CEO saying that they would be dramatically reducing capital spending. I see parked jets.

Now Boeing wants $60 billion in taxpayer bailouts. Nikki Haley resigns from the Boeing Board of Directors, and again earns my respect.

Today Citi cuts Boeing's price target from $400 to $150, while maintaining a "Buy" rating.

I sold Boeing at $97 today. This is the first equity I have sold since Valentine's Day this year. Boeing smells like bankruptcy to me. Yes, they will still make some airplanes, but current stockholders will be wiped out, ala GM and Chrysler.

Very sad.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post