SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

You're going to want a whole lot more gasoline than that. That's 8-14 run hours of fuel for the generator. It might be a week to 2 weeks to find a place to buy gasoline again.

I agree more fuel is never a bad thing, even if you use to help neighbors. He doesn't have to run the generator 24/7. 20-30 minutes every few hours will keep everything cold enough if he can keep people from opening the doors every 5 minutes.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Saw 20 power trucks heading north from southwest Florida today.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The weather folks finally decided to be honest...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We have teams staging in Knoxville, Asheville, and Atlanta right now.

Citizens assisting Citizens

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
As time passes we'll eventually see a real "Storm of the Century".

This might be one.

Well, we do still have 82 years left in this century.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All day yesterday I keep seeing this renewed push by leftists about how this storm "is a direct result of global warming!" So now we are back to warming now I suppose? Roll Eyes

Made the mistake of questioning the dogma of these idiots on a reply to an article on FB posted by our local Philly paper, the Philadelphia Inquirer.

I tried to point out that the past several years have actually seen a decrease in hurricane and tornado activity and was almost immediately, viciously jumped on. Called a "retard", "slow" "idiot Trump voter", you name it.

Do NOT question these people or they will try to destroy you.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
All I know about these types of storms is: if the folks from The Weather Channel are quickly throwing their gear in the van while screaming "RUN AWAY, FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"......it is time to leave.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
All day yesterday I keep seeing this renewed push by leftists about how this storm "is a direct result of global warming!" So now we are back to warming now I suppose?

Yup, here's a related article from FOX referencing a WAPO article. It's all these mind-numbed robots know.

Great quote from the article:

“This column is so absurd it should be coming from The Onion not the Washington Post. To the extent that climate change is happening, it is a global phenomenon that has been occurring for decades and decades,” Barron said. “The media won’t give Trump credit for the economy but they will blame him for a hurricane. You can’t make this stuff up.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...dangerous-storm.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
...During and after Charlie in 05 hit ...

Everything else you said is true, but I rode out Hurricane Charley in house in Harbor Heights right on the Peace River on Friday, August 13, 2004. Then Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne in the same year. Charley was a small fast moving storm at the upper end of a Cat. 4 when ran into Charlotte Harbor and up the Peace River. The eye was only 2 miles wide.

Not a chance I would stay for one of these slow moving large storms.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I get the frustration at the predictions, however over the years we've learned that not putting out warnings for potential landing of the storm is now unacceptable, it's hard to determine whats going to happen with 100% accuracy, other weather systems form, move in and out that affect the path.

Right now theres a model having it turn south and back in over Savannah...

Linky thing

Cool image from the Space Station of the eye

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sorry, but that makes me chuckle!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
^^^ Me too!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 2pm forecast on 12 sep 2018

Times added from other NOAA data

The storm movement slows down 8 am Fri to 8 am Sat (average only 2.5 mph)

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I get the frustration at the predictions, however over the years we've learned that not putting out warnings for potential landing of the storm is now unacceptable, it's hard to determine whats going to happen with 100% accuracy, other weather systems form, move in and out that affect the path.

Right now theres a model having it turn south and back in over Savannah...

Linky thing

Cool image from the Space Station of the eye

I don’t think anybody has a problems with warnings being issued, it’s just the over-sensational way they are issued is de-sensitizing.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the Loon talking heads at CNN are blaming Trump for this because he removed the US from the Paris accord on Climate Change. Nut cases abound at that Network.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Hear in Ohio we had a Blizzard in 78 that lasted 4 days and many stores ran out of milk and put out powdered milk but people wouldn't buy it. Maybe they were to dumb to know how to mix water with the powdered milk.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am SO damn happy that I will never again have to go work Hurricanes , ice storms , floods ,etc. 40 years of the power company business and they can have it now. I made a shit ton of money and have some cool stories but I'm too old for that stuff anymore . I talked to one of my old coworkers and he said they sent a convoy of trucks to the East coast this morning .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

I don’t think anybody has a problems with warnings being issued, it’s just the over-sensational way they are issued is de-sensitizing.

you mean the four horsemen of the apocalypse are not going to come in via surfboard and catch gnarly waves all the way to the Blue Ridge?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
It is aggravating. They have declared a state of emergency here and all of Virginia. The university will close tomorrow and football Saturday was canceled.

Weather.com is calling for light showers...

Pretty dramatic changes in path this morning that I don't think any of the models had estimated that direction. I'm not sure, two days out, what other options you would have suggested for the state of VA yesterday given the seemingly pretty solid forecast?

Yesterday at 10AM, Charlotte was in line to get 2-3 inches of rain and 40 mph wind gusts. Today it it 10-15 inches on the easy side and 6-10 on the west side. Sustained winds of 60-80 mph.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post