SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
The weather geek on ch 4 here in DFW (I like him) was talking about the storm hitting an atmospheric brick wall once in comes inland.

Looks like the rain may be worst than the storm itself and that is saying something.

Good luck to those in the path...looks like the event will not be quick or pleasant.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
Was supposed to drive I-95 S from Richmond down to Savannah Thursday and then back up on Sunday. I think Savannah will be fine as usual and our local weather expert seems to think that the storm will steer SW of here enough not to be a problem for metro Richmond, but I'm concerned about the weather (and traffic) on I-95 Thursday and then about getting back on Sunday if there's severe flooding. Anyone in the SC/NC area have any insight on what to expect on 95 in this situation?

That’d be a big No for me.

There will be tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of people behind ushered to 95. I-40 is actually being reversed to get them there. Then it’s going to rain in FEET. I’d avoid all of NC until next week sometime. This will be unlike anything in most of our lifetimes.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Was supposed to drive I-95 S from Richmond down to Savannah Thursday and then back up on Sunday. I think Savannah will be fine as usual and our local weather expert seems to think that the storm will steer SW of here enough not to be a problem for metro Richmond, but I'm concerned about the weather (and traffic) on I-95 Thursday and then about getting back on Sunday if there's severe flooding. Anyone in the SC/NC area have any insight on what to expect on 95 in this situation?

There will be tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of people behind ushered to 95. I-40 is actually being reversed to get them there. Then it’s going to rain in FEET. I’d avoid all of NC until next week sometime. This will be unlike anything in most of our lifetimes.

Agreed, not worth it. Things keep looking better for the Charleston area, but we may still bug out to be safe. I’m more worried about not being able to get back due to flooding, road closures and lane reversals.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. Praying for all in its path.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Guess it probably would be OK to turn off my sprinkler system for a while.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have friends in central and west SC and south central NC--I am praying they will be OK.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Guess it probably would be OK to turn off my sprinkler system for a while.

Mine's been off since May. Quite a year for growing moss.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just heard on the radio that NC and VA may get 30+ INCHES of rain from this thing. Eek

Get yer canoes ready!

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well, that did it. The sprinkler system is now turned off.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you live in the zone that is one of danger pay attention and be prepared if you are going to ride it out, sitting in your home during a hurricane isn't a pleasant experience.

The wind from the center of the hurricane isn't the worst part, the storm surge or heavy rains and flooding are bad, you can get tornado's inside the hurricane, downdrafts are very common and very destructive.

You will lose power, and possibly any other communications, may lose cellular, During and after Charlie in 05 hit CFL all cell service was down, only thing that worked was the two way on my Nextel for a few days.

If you stay, remember when the powers out you can't get cash from an ATM, credit card machines don't work, gas pumps don't work, so prep before get spare 5 gallon cans and fill them, if you don't need them for a generator you can put them in the car after the storm.

If you are going to be in a potential evac zone leave early, traffic gets bad, it slows to a crawl, cars run out of gas, and there won't be any gas to buy because the trucks to bring it in can't get there since all the roads are now outbound.

Good luck to anyone in the danger zone, if you choose to stay, get plenty of beer,scotch etc and cigars, a tarp, a good hurricane proof lighter and hang on..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
That's a big sucker and coming straight at us. Mandatory evacuations already in effect in some areas. I'm truly afraid my little town of New Bern is done for. A lot of businesses already boarded up and county services being shut down. I've heard rumor of mandatory evacuation orders for the entire county. I'll be spending this hurricane, like all the others at the hospital. Please keep us in your prayers. Looks like we'll need all we can get.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, not worth it. Things keep looking better for the Charleston area, but we may still bug out to be safe. I’m more worried about not being able to get back due to flooding, road closures and lane reversals.
My son goes to the College of Charleston, and they shut down as of end of classes today until further notice. My son left around noon today headed home for the weekend.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I am far enough north that Hurricane winds are unlikely to reach our home.

But with rainfall predictions of 10 to 15 inches, I am worried about flooding.

I bought some 50# bags of all purpose sand from the hardware store and put each sand bag in double wrapped heavy duty construction trash bags.

My most vulnerable spot is a sliding glass door at ground level at the back of my house. The sand bags should help some, if needed.

here is the 2 pm close up of the track forecast

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crossroader
posted Hide Post
Being in Central Florida, my entire life, it is hard to imagine how bad this could be with all the elevation changes in the area to be hit. Then, after it hits, they have it stalling out, in NC. I'm praying for you folks in the way. This could be the one you want to get out of Dodge for.

As soon as the government gets your guns, they'll be back to take your Bible.

Posts: 440 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: March 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor left for Myrtle Beach last Friday, which looks like a mandatory evacuation zone.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this 5 pm update significantly changes the rainfall data w a shift to the west. Initial landfall still consistent.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
weather models.us has a high pressure ridge that stops Florence at the coast.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The 2pm Sunday plot is literally right on my house. I hope it fizzles out but I’m not optimistic. We’re going to get a shit ton of rain regardless.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
The 2pm Sunday plot is literally right on my house. I hope it fizzles out but I’m not optimistic. We’re going to get a shit ton of rain regardless.

Stay safe....they're talking about mudslides, trees down, flooding....all kinds of nasty stuff in the mountainous areas.... Frown

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I live in SE Virginia. Top wind predicted for my area is 25-35 mph with gusts to 45. That's enough. The ground is saturated here from relentless downpours over the last few days and weeks. The lakes and creeks around here are already brimming and the rivers are already running above high tide due to heavy rains in the western part of the state. Not looking forward to the kind of rain this is going to bring.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post