SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Navy is sortieing all sea-capable ships from Norfolk and Little Creek tomorrow. What a gigantic ass-pain. Helluva boat parade heading outbound.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I have been dealing with hurricanes since I lived on Galveston Island back in '79.

We currently have a beach house on Hatteras Island that is rented out this week. I will be contacting the tenants reminding them to pay attention to Dare County's EM which is pretty good.
Of course that means that we'll have to go down there (a 7 hour drive) and board up the house...

Fun, fun, fun!

It is a long drive from south central Va.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
saw this web site at Conservative Treehouse

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.9;-77.9;4&l=rain-3h

very cool

At the bottom of the page, you can step through the forecast hour by hour using the "Next" button in lower right corner.

As you step thru, you see the hurricane approaching the east coast.

Then it lingers over NC and VA coast for several days.

Friday thru Monday could be ugly.

Thanks for posting, this looks pretty ugly. They have the track significantly farther north than NOAA, though. I've got a sailboat in the Chesapeake, so I'm likely gong to have to pull her out regardless. Hope this thing doesn't just park over us.

Ventusky seems to have spotty reviews from what I’ve seen, and like any other source, accuracy seems poorer the further out the prediction. I wouldn’t just bank on it... if I had a local stake in the venture, I’d consult several different sources and make any decision closer to the event.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The NHC is the official source for the public. Utility companies and oil companies have their own weather services that cater to them. For example they need to know the precise times to evacuate offshore workers in the Gulf and the exact speed and time of the approaching storm. The utility companies have to get restoration crews in place for restoration of power. Lots of these other sites provide frankly more entertainment than anything else. It is kind of like the stock market predict often and you will be right once in a while.
The NHC works with NOAA and the Air Force Reserve to put the latest forecast together. Just a few short years ago, there was only three day forecasting available to the public. It is now five days.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

11 pm NOAA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be fun here at Ft Bragg, NC. Hopefully they'll shut down Wednesday cause it's headed directly at here at this point.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa looks dry. Too bad I'm driving to western Maryland tomorrow and spending two weeks there...

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
My former partner, now retired, just moved to Southport, NC.
Looks like Florence is gonna hit him square on. Frown
Luckily, he was already planning to be back in Jersey next week to testify on an old case; guess he'll be here a little early.

Keeping a positive thought going for all in harms way...

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

NOAA pic of Florence on 8 Sep 2018

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is what I don't get: I have an out door event planned for this weekend starting on Thursday in Columbia S.C. I look at the weather forecast for Columbia and it says nothing more than the norm of 90 degree tempts and a 30% chance of thunder storms. But you look at the possible location of Florence and Columbia is in the zone.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If that thing brings much more rain to the Shenandoah valley, we’re screwed. This place has seen nothing but rain for months and the ground is beyond saturated. Mad

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
If that thing brings much more rain to the Shenandoah valley, we’re screwed. This place has seen nothing but rain for months and the ground is beyond saturated. Mad

If you look at the NHC projections for travel once it comes inland it is predicting it coming up just East of Roanoke and heading North.

It's coming. Get prepared now. The flooding could be catostrophic...

PS. My home is in the direct path as well and we live on Smith Mt. lake...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Looks like with Florence parking over NC and VA we'll see about 4 days plus of heavy rain. Some areas in VA are projected to get 15-20".

Currently the center of the cone of uncertainty is a little north of Wilmington, and projected to be a Cat4 just prior to landfall. Time to get ready.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

If you look at the NHC projections for travel once it comes inland it is predicting it coming up just East of Roanoke and heading North.

It's coming. Get prepared now. The flooding could be catostrophic...

PS. My home is in the direct path as well and we live on Smith Mt. lake...

We’ll be lucky if any trees are left standing after this. The last big storm a few weeks ago took out quite a few in the area already.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA has a tool that lets you zoom in on the track forecast. This is for the latest advisory #044

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
NOAA has a tool that lets you zoom in on the track forecast. This is for the latest advisory #044

I am about 50 miles north of Greensboro,NC. My area's tobacco farmers have had a rough summer, high heat, humidity, August and Sept., now facing heavy rains.

I had planned to bike ride the Jackson River Trail at Covington,Va yesterday, but nixed it due to the rain. Seems now it will be quite some time before I get there.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Computer models keep shifting south. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this thing hit Savannah.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I picked a fine week to travel to Charlotte! For all those impacted - I pray this peters out and becomes a mild rain event - but it's not looking too good.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Looks like Charlotte is gonna be rough.
Lots of big trees in my neighborhood.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post