SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Does anybody remember when the figure skaters actually had to skate "figures?" It was necessary to skate a figure, using the different edges of the skates, then retrace those figures. All this under the eyes of the judges only. No audience. The marks given counted for 75% of the score. The additional 25 percent came from the jumps and spins performed before the audience.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Does anybody remember when the figure skaters actually had to skate "figures?" It was necessary to skate a figure, using the different edges of the skates, then retrace those figures. All this under the eyes of the judges only. No audience. The marks given counted for 75% of the score. The additional 25 percent came from the jumps and spins performed before the audience.

Are you saying that they eliminated the school program, or that you haven't seen it on television?

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:

IIRC, “compulsories” as they were called started to be downgraded at the 1968 Games in order to focus more on the “free skate” program in order to make it more enticing to the home TV viewers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_figures

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eh...2Bob was a minute in front of me. Smile

quote:

It's called the "compulsories". I never knew it existed or was part of the competition until YEARS ago, Dick Button (I'm aging myself) ran a side story on the figure skating competition and showed the competitors doing their compulsories in front of the judging panel. I think it was the era of Dorothy Hamill when he did that story.

I'm sure it can be found on Youtube somewhere...just too lazy right now to look it up.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Watching womens super-g, Lindsey Vonn is off the podium.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

Yup. So sad.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Snowboard cross was freaking intense. Unfortunately they only showed 3 races

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Did they have the women's final yet? I saw the qualifiers early.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Yup. So sad.
Yeah, I'm all broken up.

Too bad she isn't.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep.... results below

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-final-idUSKCN1G00AR

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not sure, keep trying to dvr things, and then playing catch up. I’m a day behind.

Watched a thing on Lindsey Jacobellis talking about how she learned her lesson.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biathlon question: it appears (to my old suspect eyesight, anyway), when the skiers arrive at the firing line, they do attach sling to the arm cuff. But when their shooting is complete, immediately go to sling their rifles on their backs. Is there a quick disconnect or?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure, keep trying to dvr things, and then playing catch up. I’m a day behind.

Watched a thing on Lindsey Jacobellis talking about how she learned her lesson.

Yup, I kind of doubt she will be back in 4 years. Looks like she will go out with one silver from way back in 2006.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Men’s aerials...this shit is nuts.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Men’s Ski Jumping is on now. They are calling this the “Large Hill,” and made reference to the “Normal Hill.”

I’m quite certain that for years the two ski jumping events were the 90 Meter and 70 Meter Ski Jumps.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Fourcade of France on winning mens 15k Biathalon, that was the most exciting race/ closest finish ive ever seen at the olympics.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Bode Miller as an Alpine Skiing commentator, is quite knowledgeable. That guy knows ski racing and is quite smart. You rarely get in depth explanations about any sport at the level that he gives. No fluff and no BS.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Bode Miller as an Alpine Skiing commentator, is quite knowledgeable. That guy knows ski racing and is quite smart. You rarely get in depth explanations about any sport at the level that he gives. No fluff and no BS.

Interesting I had the same thought. He’s been spectacular compared to other alpine commentators. I did t care for him as a skier, but wow is he great at breaking down the sport .

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats to Fourcade of France on winning mens 15k Biathalon, that was the most exciting race/ closest finish ive ever seen at the olympics.

Since the last winter Olympics, did you see the finish for that one from 4 years ago? Fourcade lost that one in a similar fashion, by inches. They showed the two finishes in the screen at the same time, both by half a boot. He thought he lost again at first. Amazing, after all that race and shooting, it comes down to inches.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:

Since the last winter Olympics, did you see the finish for that one from 4 years ago? Fourcade lost that one in a similar fashion, by inches. They showed the two finishes in the screen at the same time, both by half a boot. He thought he lost again at first. Amazing, after all that race and shooting, it comes down to inches.

I heard the commentators talking about that but didnt see it in 2014. So this one will remain the closest race Ive ever seen at the olympics.