SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Men’s Ski Jumping is on now. They are calling this the “Large Hill,” and made reference to the “Normal Hill.”

I’m quite certain that for years the two ski jumping events were the 90 Meter and 70 Meter Ski Jumps.

It was simplified to be more complicated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_size

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Russian caught doping in CURLING? You've got to be shitting me!

Nope. LOL

Russian Curling Bronze Medalist Aleksandr Krushelnitckii Busted For Doping

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Russian caught doping in CURLING? You've got to be shitting me!

Nope. LOL

Russian Curling Bronze Medalist Aleksandr Krushelnitckii Busted For Doping

Oh give me a break. That drug couldn't possibly have enhanced his performance in curling. That's just retarded.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Two good quotes on curling doping, first by Dutch team member, second by a Canadian team member:

quote:
Asked if she thought the sport’s reputation could be harmed, Dupont said: “I think most people will laugh and be like, ‘What would you possibly need doping for?’”

quote:
“Outside of beer and Advil, that’s the only painkillers I’ve ever heard of for curling,” Laird said.

Link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I don’t care enough about the Olympics to get riled up about this, but it is fucked that these folks are here in place of someone else and are choosing not to do an event because they don’t want to.

http://dailym.ai/2obefVM

American Olympic skiers are slammed for shunning inaugural team event

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
inaugural team event

A team event in skiing is pretty stupid to begin with. Alpine skiing is about as individual and objective an event that is left in an Olympics full of either true team sports or value/points judgement individual items. I'm not saying ariel and freestyle wasn't cool to watch, but it was after all 5 unknown people sitting in a booth making minute judgement calls on scoring.

What the heck was the point anyway?

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
we suck at bobsled every single olympics. Frown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Women’s Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe is on. I’m struck by the Grand Canyon that separates men’s and women’s freestyle skiing and snowboarding. In the men’s events, every aerial maneuver has to be high and difficult. In the women’s, there are two or three maneuvers that are throw-aways, setting up for one or two 1080s.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I still like watching the women though. They get better and better every year. But yes, the men are light-years bigger and simply more awesome than the women which of course why we have women events and men events. It's a perfect illustration of the difference between guys and gals.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I still like watching the women though. They get better and better every year. But yes, the men are light-years bigger and simply more awesome than the women which of course why we have women events and men events. It's a perfect illustration of the difference between guys and gals.

I'm really curious how much of that is athletic ability and how much is mass. The mass helps hold way better speed, but even with that the height and speed of the women isn't that much different. In my uneducated opinion.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. Just saw the greatest Winter Olympic performance ever... the Canadians ice dancing. I’m certain they’ll get the gold (their fifth medal). I’m also certain the performance will be on YouTube. It’s a must watch.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I thought it came down to who skated last. I think had the French been last, they probably would of won. Both were outstanding.

The last American team skated great until the end when he lost it. I enjoyed their skate a bunch and was sorry to seem them lose a medal at the end of their routine.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Holy crap. Just saw the greatest Winter Olympic performance ever... the Canadians ice dancing.

That was an amazing routine, and yep they got the gold...deservedly.

The Canadians have a history of great figure skating couples. I'm reminded of Sale and Pelletier getting screwed a few years back by the judges after skating the performance of their lives.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ice dancing? I'd rather jog home from my own vasectomy than watch a minute of that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I would rather jog home after doing a vasectomy on myself with a Rapala fillet knife than to watch a minute of that...even my wife hated it.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
******** SPOILER ALERT!!!!! ********

I FINALLY watched some Olympics last night. Aside from hockey, I really like all the sledding competitions. The men's bobsled medal runs were AWESOME! From what I could see and with my limited knowledge of bobsled, Latvia looked like they ran the cleanest run I've seen ever. They didn't touch a THING...just ran that sled smack dab in the middle of the track both entering and exiting the turns. Pretty cool that Canada and Germany TIED for the gold...good stuff.

Ice Dancing? Yeah... Roll Eyes Let's get all excited and go to a yawning festival.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Apparently--as I just learned--a French ice dancer had her boob out during her performance last night. That may have enticed me to watch. Wardrobe malfunction, sure. A likely plot to influence the judges I'm thinking. At least the male judges.

And yeah, the bobsled was pretty awesome this last go around.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Apparently--as I just learned--a French ice dancer had her boob out during her performance last night. That may have enticed me to watch. Wardrobe malfunction, sure. A likely plot to influence the judges I'm thinking. At least the male judges.

I didn't see it. I did hear there was fully visible under boob.

Under boob is good boob. Better than side boob.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I saw the entire show where they had a wardrobe malfunction, I never saw anything but it coming loose around her neck. Grated, I did blink a few times but definitely no bare chest. Even the commentators noted that it was clearly distracting enough to impact performance.

Ok, a little google-fu found the images. From 10' away on a 28" TV, I didn't see it. I'm guessing no one did until someone went through the video frame by frame. This wasn't even revealed until a day later, prior to that it was just her top was disconnected around the neck.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The mixed biathlon relay is on right now. Pretty cool race. 2 men and 2 women teams.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)