SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steven Hawking

He went by Stephen actually.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
And the universe returns back to being what it is - unknown.
Nah, it never moved from that position. Hawking, like the rest of his peers, had ideas about the universe, but they were nothing more than that. Even with Hawking's IQ, the universe and its origins are well beyond mankind's ability to grasp. And that's Ok.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Seems fitting that he should pass away on Pi Day (3.14).

And he embarks to infinity . . . .

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, currently inbound to Uranus and behind err beyond.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Ahhh Google....that's so precious.....

From their Homepage

Physicist.Philosopher._________Stephen Hawking 1942-2018

I can't bring myself to type the third word. Suffice to say they considered him a sandwich.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Some years ago Hawking did a luncheon chat at a Bay Area college, I cancelled my class and was able to attend.

He spent most of the time describing the technology used for his communications; they once changed some of the electronics which changed his "voice". He mentioned that a colleague once gave him a copy of Playboy magazine, but lamented he couldn't make use of it.

His parting comment was along the lines of "the avg politician speaks at 100 words per minute, but the information content is zero. If you don't understand that, politicians will take advantage of you".

I believe that when we leave this life we move on to the next. And Hawking may be rethinking his views of the cosmos about now.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
He is proof that believing your own press is dangerous. He was highly respected in his field and everyone told him how smart he was. He assumed that his "smartness" extended to all of life and not just his field. When he started commenting on things beyond his field - politics, religion, the price of tea in China; he proved he wasn't as smart as everyone told him he was...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
RIP

https://imgur.com/a/aabQ2

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

Now that's some funny shit right there!
No ADA in heaven!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Psalm 14:1 - "The fool says in his heart, "there is no God"...

So please media, tell me how wise this guy really was.

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwood4:
Psalm 14:1 - "The fool says in his heart, "there is no God"...

So please media, tell me how wise this guy really was.

They will certainly conflate smart with wise. Smart, he was, wise, he was not.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I truly did not "get" the Cult of Hawking.

On a par with Einstein?

Give me a break.

IMO, he was given extra latitude because of his disabilities. Cruel? Maybe.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about this guy, other than he had theories, wrote books, was handicapped and was reportedly smart.

Did he create anything tangible beyond books and a few kids?

Any inventions benefiting society?
Mathematical formulas, if so what are they?
Are our life's better somehow from something he created?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I know nothing about this guy, other than he had theories, wrote books, was handicapped and was reportedly smart.

Did he create anything tangible beyond books and a few kids?

Any inventions benefiting society?
Mathematical formulas, if so what are they?
Are our life's better somehow from something he created?

I can't answer any of that but just wanted to say that I think they are pretty damn good questions.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I guess he's finding out right now if he was right or wrong about that statement:

"We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful."

In my view it takes an awful lot of Faith to believe the grand design of the universe came together from one Big Bang or series of Bangs.

Blew up a lot of things with fireworks as a kid and I failed to design anything other than bits and pieces of what was blown up.

From an explosion it all came together.
Yeah, right, not buying it.

In my view the simplest explanation is a creator, intelligent design, God.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I truly did not "get" the Cult of Hawking.

On a par with Einstein?

Give me a break.

IMO, he was given extra latitude because of his disabilities. Cruel? Maybe.

He may have been smarter than your average bear, but in the world of Physics, I'm not sure he would even make the top 20.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Still bummin' a ride...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This guy's rise and ride to fame is his disability, pure and simple. No one outside the physics world would have known who he was, had he been roaming around on his feet.

Q

Posts: 26388 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donls:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, that, too? I wasn't aware that he was an anti-Semite as well.

What about all those brilliant astrophysicists who haven't written a book for laymen, and who don't capture society's imagination by slowly melting into a wheelchair? Too bad for them, huh? They have the same brain power as Hawking. They just didn't make themselves conspicuous, nor set their selves up as the smartest people who ever lived. No, Hawking had that market cornered.

Para:
https://www.amazon.com/Starlig...rds=hartnett+physics
Here's a book written by a physicist for laymen (but includes lots of math & physics)that explains much. In it, Hartnett shows the universe is bounded and limited, both contradicting Hawking's opinion. I recommend it to all you. It'll open your hearts/minds to a hope of a better future. Hartnett and Moshe Carmeli should receive the Nobel for their work some day.
Don

Thanks for the link. I am going to get the book and check it out.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post