SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil change on the SigForum Sienna van today.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil change on the SigForum Sienna van today. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Very calm Spring day and I had been waiting for no rain to change its oil and filter. Sinse the Market here is closed due to virus, I had pleanty of room to work. Up on the ramps she went. The Mobile1 is 15,000 mile oil which I would never do. The vans Maintainance light stays on at 5,000 miles. It registered 5,030 at reset. That light is bothersome. I have now 3 miles on new oil and filter. Mind is at ease. I actually enjoy changing the Siennas oil because Toyota is a bit different than most vehicles. 6.4 Quarts weighs in at around $53.00. Got OEM filter element for $7.00. The 3.5 litre holds a lot of oil for a V6. You change your own oil or trust it to the quick lube guys?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took my wife's 2013 Sienna (also 3.5L V6) in this morning for new oil as well. A trusted family friend owns the shop, and I know the young man who did the work. He's very conscientious, so I trust them to do the work.

I prefer to do it myself, but time and garage space is at a premium right now, so in she went!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've always changed my own oil.

The last and only time I had taken any vehicle to be worked on was the Takata airbag recall.

One truck takes 5 quarts, the other uses 9 1/4 quarts. If I wait for the oil cooler to drain it takes 10. I only use Mobil 1.

Having a factory shop manual is a huge plus for basic maintenance or adding a DVD changer and backup camera to the navigation radio.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always change my own.

My truck takes 7 quarts, my wife's car and my daily take 8, and my boat takes 5.5. Add in all the small engines I've got and it seems like I am always changing oil in something.

I didn't do an oil change today, but I did take about 10 gallons of used oil to the county disposal center.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
What, No Pics....Pics or it didn't happen! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been changing my own oil since I was 16. Seen way too many mistakes and intentional cost cutting to allow a shop to touch my vehicles.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We have 5 vehicles and for the most part I change them all myself. In the middle of winter I will ask the auto shop teacher to do our Acadia. The oil filter can be a pain to change in the Acadia. I use Mobile 1 in all the vehicles.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m with you guys. I always change my own too. Mobile 1 from Walmart and filters from Amazon. The last time I want to the dealer, they buggered up my oil pan drain plug. Idiots.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Well after a local FCA dealer screwed up three out of four oil changes on our Jeeps it's going to be up to either myself or my S-I-L.

Last two times they put 5W-20 in my Wrangler that calls for 5W-30. First time I caught it the next day and above their protests made them change it. The writer kind of pissed me off when he said it was "no big deal" to leave it in there until the next change. It was a big deal to me though. Second time I caught it in the service drive before took it home, made them change it again. This in spite of the yellow oil cap saying 5W-30 in black lettering.

The Liberty, well they did not clean the area of the filter, it leaked all over my driveway. That was the final straw, day before Christmas Eve I found it. I called in, the writer asked me when I wanted to bring it in. "What time are you open tomorrow?" a.k.a Christmas Eve. I was there at 8:30.

Third time is NOT the charm.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Well after a local FCA dealer screwed up three out of four oil changes on our Jeeps it's going to be up to either myself or my S-I-L.

Last two times they put 5W-20 in my Wrangler that calls for 5W-30. First time I caught it the next day and above their protests made them change it. The writer kind of pissed me off when he said it was "no big deal" to leave it in there until the next change. It was a big deal to me though. Second time I caught it in the service drive before took it home, made them change it again. This in spite of the yellow oil cap saying 5W-30 in black lettering.

The Liberty, well they did not clean the area of the filter, it leaked all over my driveway. That was the final straw, day before Christmas Eve I found it. I called in, the writer asked me when I wanted to bring it in. "What time are you open tomorrow?" a.k.a Christmas Eve. I was there at 8:30.

Actually it is a big deal. Some engines need a higher MOFT (minimum oil film thickness) than other engines to prevent wear. Dealerships typically put in whatever is on the oil cap and then some just don’t give a shit (like your dealer), or they were out of what is spec’d and they used whatever they had.

Either way you were right to have them change it to the correct oil.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I bought oil and filter the other day for my car. Got them for my car and my parents(I've been shopping and picking up their meds since this started) figured I would have some time and change theirs also.

Still working full time as I'm apparently essential so haven't gotten to it yet.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
What, No Pics....Pics or it didn't happen! Wink
I was going to do that but would have had to ask for others to post them. You really cannot read 0w20 on the stick as its very light and clear.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I always change my own oil, but ford said I get a free oil change with purchase. So I di it at 5k. Mechanic comes in and says hey the f150 doesn’t need one until 7500.....I said just do it, and make sure to change the filter.

No charge. And they said I get x amount of points towards another oil change...when all that free shit runs out it will be back to me & Mobile 1.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Wow. Dont let them touch your vehicles again.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Dealership. Most vehicles I have owned come with free service fir x years, or life.
I pay to upgrade to synthetic.

Oil changes usually cost me less than $20.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Those changes ain't free, ya'll just paid for them up front with the purchase of the vehicle. Big Grin

I actually enjoy changing oil in my vehicles with the exception of the Honda Civic because some genius decided to put it in a place difficult to reach and also angle it downwards so oil spills on me. I curse a lot when I change the Civic.

Highlander is easy to change and now that I put a Fumoto valve on last time, it will be even easier.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Always did my own right before smog testing which is every 2 years.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The vans Maintainance light stays on at 5,000 miles. It registered 5,030 at reset. That light is bothersome.

In what way? You know it doesn't know when you changed the oil and has to be reset, right?

Posts: 27959 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes and it has a information display message also. My plan was at 5,000 miles so I did pretty good timing wise. I could have reset it and keep driving but I wanted the old oil and filter out. Same again next time.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I borrowed ramps from a Jordanian fella who works on and owns several Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. Today he had a Cayenne with 4.0 V8 torn apart. Extremely knowledgable of German vehicles. What a beautiful piece of engineering is that 4.0. Anyhow, just pleased to have new oil and filter in my engine. Have other small maintainance to do throughout Spring.