SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After Topping Ford, Tesla's Stock Value Overtakes GM
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After Topping Ford, Tesla's Stock Value Overtakes GM Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wonder how many LEOs are going to be around the charging stations to keep the bad element from taking advantage of the Tesla owners while they are waiting for a charge?
Maybe the charging stations will be at a Starbucks, or maybe Starbucks will move a store to the charging stations?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I can see girls will be really impressed when on a date their metro-sexual boyfriend, he has to stop for a 40 minute charge of his glorified golf cart.

Country boys in old Ford pickups might have a resurgence in popularity.

Hmmm... Maybe that's why my middle son wants an F150.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17470 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Researchers have a zinc battery - will probably replace lithium soon, and has the benefit of being a dirt cheap, common mineral.

And, ask someone who's tried to get their Tesla toy fixed/look at the turn over rate of management and Solar s shenanigans- pretty soon, it will be someone's subsidiary after losing a lot of money,

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
There must be a lot of potential!

I get it, with it being an electric car and all!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Or maybe aluminum

quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
A) Researchers have a zinc battery - will probably replace lithium soon, and has the benefit of being a dirt cheap, common mineral.

And, ask someone who's tried to get their Tesla toy fixed/look at the turn over rate of management and Solar s shenanigans- pretty soon, it will be someone's subsidiary after losing a lot of money,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I can see girls will be really impressed when on a date their metro-sexual boyfriend, he has to stop for a 40 minute charge of his glorified golf cart.

Country boys in old Ford pickups might have a resurgence in popularity.

Hmmm... Maybe that's why my middle son wants an F150.

Love reading this. I daily drive an electric car, not a Tesla, I drive a very inexpensive one. I've also got panels on my house and a kwh plan that includes free nights. So I essentially fuel the car for free. I've got gas powered vehicles too (that aren't fuel efficient btw) so I didn't acquire it for public/political statements, zero emissions, or any other bs. It's a daily driver because my commute is short and most of the places I need to go are within 10 square miles. And I'm not concerned with "image" commuting to work, going to the grocery store, or the gym. I might charge it at a public charger 1-2 times a year, and that's usually only enough juice to get home so that means a trip by a Walgreens on a 480v charger for about 10-15 minutes. The rest of the time I charge it at home in my garage. I plug it in before I go to bed.

You might consider that Tesla isn't the only company who makes electric vehicles. You might also consider that some of us 2A folks drive them because we don't have long commutes. I'm not concerned with what people think of the thing at all, but boy have I heard dozens of people let me know why it doesn't work for them, some of them at the range. It's just a car man.

And I can tell you, around here, the ladies are pretty superficial, materialistic, and narcissistic. You need to be driving a Benz, Audi, Infiniti or higher priced vehicle to impress them because they live the image life. I took, well I attempted to take, a woman out. As we approached the egg she said "Is that your car?" in a bitchy, superficial way. I said it's just my daily driver. You know something I'm not concerned about a scratch, a ding, or if someone stole it. Then I flipped a 180, started walking to her place when she asked if I left something in her place. I said, yes, you. I walked her to her door and she said "I didn't mean anything by it" and I said yes you did. It was nice meeting you, good lucking finding the right guy, and next time maybe don't judge a book by its' cover. I have something sporty to drive and purposely leave that at home. The EV sure does fleece out the gold diggers quick like. And sure causes mislabeling by our people. I've received some comments at the range over the last few years as well, and they have been priceless. There is a guy at work who drives a Prius, has quite a long commute. Has a truck too, but uses that on weekends. He's got a sticker on the back that says "Not a liberal". He got tired of the comments and bullshit from people. Vehicle stereotypes, sad that some can't think out of their own defined box. Right next to his not a liberal sticker is a Trump sticker. Wink

I wouldn't mind owning a Tesla at all. I can't afford a P90D, or P100D. I've driven a P85D, and my goodness that thing accelerates as fast as one of my motorcycles. Too rich for my blood though.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I took, well I attempted to take, a woman out. As we approached the egg she said "Is that your car?" in a bitchy, superficial way. I said it's just my daily driver. You know something I'm not concerned about a scratch, a ding, or if someone stole it. Then I flipped a 180, started walking to her place when she asked if I left something in her place. I said, yes, you. I walked her to her door and she said "I didn't mean anything by it" and I said yes you did. It was nice meeting you, good lucking finding the right guy, and next time maybe don't judge a book by its' cover. I have something sporty to drive and purposely leave that at home.

This is a wicked brilliant move.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
I took, well I attempted to take, a woman out. As we approached the egg she said "Is that your car?" in a bitchy, superficial way. I said it's just my daily driver. You know something I'm not concerned about a scratch, a ding, or if someone stole it. Then I flipped a 180, started walking to her place when she asked if I left something in her place. I said, yes, you. I walked her to her door and she said "I didn't mean anything by it" and I said yes you did. It was nice meeting you, good lucking finding the right guy, and next time maybe don't judge a book by its' cover. I have something sporty to drive and purposely leave that at home.

This is a wicked brilliant move.

Hah, I've never gone that far, but I kind of do the same thing. I've got a nice car and a beater, and I ALWAYS take the beater on first dates.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
OK, here's one for the market gurus. How is this possible? Is this simply a case that Tesla is just the best car company ever (mild sarcasm), or rather is there a better case to be made about the absolute irrationality of the market? I'm betting on the latter. Investors must be simply orgasmic over Tesla....

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What could go wrong? It seldom has earnings, is selling for ~10 times book value and a forward P/E ratio of 115.

There must be a lot of potential!

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
It's reminiscent of the dot com valuations/bubble from the late 90's.

I think all three nailed it. Tesla is an elitist fad. Barring an Einsteinian technology breakthrough, sooner or later economic reality will hit.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe that's a good thing...

Scene: lakefront, midnight, moonlit water, darkness, quiet, teen guy and gal in Nissan Leaf, radio is playing a song set low and in the background..

Parking by the lake
And there was not another car in sight
And I never had a girl
Looking any better than you did
And all the kids at school
They were wishing they were me that night
And now our bodies are oh so close and tight
It never felt so good, it never felt so right
And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife
Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife...

Cut to Front seat camera:
He: hmm that's odd
She: what's wrong
He: Radios working but it won't start
no electrons, dang it I thought I charged it
She: thats an old trick
HE: smiles devilishly....

Cut to outside camera: Car with muffled music playing, fogged windows, shifting weight, moans, then all of a sudden a loud voice is heard..

She:Stop right there!
I gotta know right now!
Before we go any further!
Do you love me?
Will you love me forever?
Do you need me?
Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away and will you make me your wife?

Vehicle propulsion methods will change, but submarine races are forever... or for 3 to 5 minutes depending...

Posts: 23522 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Hah, I've never gone that far, but I kind of do the same thing. I've got a nice car and a beater, and I ALWAYS take the beater on first dates.

The beater is awesome for fleecing them out quick. Before I invest too much time and money.

I've done much worse. I kicked one out of my house once. Laundry washer was running when she came over. 15 min after she arrived buzzer goes off so I excuse myself and grab clothes from washer to dryer, start dryer. She starts going off how I should have bought stainless instead of white versions. I explain stainless wasn't an option when I purchased ten years ago. Continues to splain to me how her mother is poking at them and she has been all up her arse to get the stainless ones. She keeps going, I get up, open the front door, and she asks where we are going.
I told her this is my house so I'm not going anywhere. And next time if you don't like someone's appliances then keep it to yourself in someone else's home. Told her to leave.

Several times at dinner I've slipped out at listening to gold digging or bitching. One time I paid the waiter and gave him $40 for her cab. Our food arrives, mine is in a take home box.
Waiter says "he has already paid for the meal and we've arranged a cab for you."
Another time We are walking out from dinner and uber is waiting. I instruct the driver that I paid to X destination (her place) and any re-routes or detours I'd be calling corporate.
Each time the looks on their faces have been priceless. Too many men here are complete pushovers and too many women are used to being C's and men put up with it. I'm never rude verbally, I pay the check and arrange for them to get home safely. But after I'm subjected to an hour of "whomever is with me is gonna spoil me, I'm the queen, I require a long list of requirements or I'm a bitch and you need to deal with it" I'm cutting my losses. As long as they are cordial I don't do any of this. I do this when there is no respect given, absolute gold digging, one of the last ones fished so hard, asking if I wear a suit to work because I completely darted around the rest of her financial questions on the first date. That bitch got an uber ride and I met up with my friends so my night wasn't ruined.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The beater is awesome for fleecing them out quick. Before I invest too much time and money.

I've done much worse. I kicked one out of my house once. Laundry washer was running when she came over. 15 min after she arrived buzzer goes off so I excuse myself and grab clothes from washer to dryer, start dryer. She starts going off how I should have bought stainless instead of white versions. I explain stainless wasn't an option when I purchased ten years ago. Continues to splain to me how her mother is poking at them and she has been all up her arse to get the stainless ones. She keeps going, I get up, open the front door, and she asks where we are going.
I told her this is my house so I'm not going anywhere. And next time if you don't like someone's appliances then keep it to yourself in someone else's home. Told her to leave.

Several times at dinner I've slipped out at listening to gold digging or bitching. One time I paid the waiter and gave him $40 for her cab. Our food arrives, mine is in a take home box.
Waiter says "he has already paid for the meal and we've arranged a cab for you."
Another time We are walking out from dinner and uber is waiting. I instruct the driver that I paid to X destination (her place) and any re-routes or detours I'd be calling corporate.
Each time the looks on their faces have been priceless. Too many men here are complete pushovers and too many women are used to being C's and men put up with it. I'm never rude verbally, I pay the check and arrange for them to get home safely. But after I'm subjected to an hour of "whomever is with me is gonna spoil me, I'm the queen, I require a long list of requirements or I'm a bitch and you need to deal with it" I'm cutting my losses. As long as they are cordial I don't do any of this. I do this when there is no respect given, absolute gold digging, one of the last ones fished so hard, asking if I wear a suit to work because I completely darted around the rest of her financial questions on the first date. That bitch got an uber ride and I met up with my friends so my night wasn't ruined.

Love it.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
No such thing as a zero emissions car -

Somewhere, some energy/fuel was used to produce the electricity (which incurs efficiency loss due to transportation/resistance).

And, seeing that we don't build Hydro anymore, it's most likely it's from burning something ... freaking idiots.

Don't get me started on those toxic as shit batteries.

If they can't see the smoke from their house then they are using "clean" energy.
N.I.M.B.Y. Not In My Back Yard.
The beauty of nature is defined by people who want to build windmills and solar farms.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Damn, I'm going to have to remember these tricks. I live in South Florida and half of them are gold diggers. Funny thing is most shleps that wear a suit and tie to work don't make any money.....LOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
SAN FRANCISCO/DETROIT (Reuters) - Elon Musk may have "zero doubt" over the common sense of Tesla Motors' proposed acquisition of rooftop solar company SolarCity, but a merger of the two cash-burning companies at a crucial time in the electric car firm's growth plan carries financial risk Tesla can ill afford, investors and analysts say.
The proposed stock deal, worth $2.8 billion (1.91 billion pounds) at Tuesday's close, effectively doubles long-term debt on Tesla's (TSLA.O) balance sheet and exacerbates persistent cash burn that already pushed Tesla to the markets last month for a $1.7 billion capital increase.

Their purchase of the solar company saddled them with a huge debt. So far they haven't started to pay that down.

quote:
Any car that only has a range of 200-300 miles

That's the best case scenario. Testing shows that 240 is the real world range on the S model.

Some get even less.

quote:
Friday afternoon I jumped in our long-term 2013 Tesla Model S and headed home for the weekend. The car was fully charged and its instrument cluster told me it was packing 251 miles of range.

I never plugged it in over the weekend, and on Monday morning the Tesla and I arrived back at Edmunds HQ after 87.6 miles of driving. At this point the car's instrument cluster was telling me it was packing only 65 miles of range, so my 88 miles of driving used 186 miles worth of battery range.

Hmmmmm. Admittedly I'm no hypermiler and all of the 88 miles were in the city, but at that rate the car's true range is in the neighborhood of 120 miles.

quote:
Winter chills limit range of the Tesla Model S electric car

Consumer Reports News: February 15, 2013 03:08 PM

It was a chilly 45° F when I pointed our fully charged Model S homeward for my informal experiment, a distance of 75 miles. With 240 miles on the car's range indicator, I figured there would be more than ample juice to cover the distance, plus some nighttime errands, the morning drop-off at school, and then my 75-mile return trip to the track. The Model S has an additional range predictor called "projected range" that estimated 188 miles remain. This secondary display is part of the energy graph, a function you can choose to view on the large iPad-like screen. The projected range takes into account ambient temperature and driving style, and it provides a more accurate estimate than the default display. Based on that estimate, too, the range appeared to be sufficient.
Although the car predicted its range fairly accurately, I barely made it back to the office the next day, running the last three miles on an indicated zero charge. Yes, I was a bit stressed, but the car did what it said it would. The entire trip totaled 176 miles. So, how did I run the battery all the way to empty?

A trip back to NJ to see family would take several hours as a charge would be needed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post