SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now it's members of a high school marching band. This was in Ames, IA, also home of the Iowa State Univ (where my daughter went) Cyclones. Ames never struck me as a liberal city, but what do I know...

http://www.amestrib.com/news/2...-for-national-anthem

Members of Ames High School marching band walk off field for national anthem

By Caitlin Ware, Staff Writer cware@amestrib.com
Posted Oct 14, 2017 at 9:22 PM
Updated Oct 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM
    
As part of an ongoing national movement involving peaceful protests during the national anthem at sporting events, multiple members of the Ames High School marching band left the field together prior to the performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner” during the Little Cyclones’ Friday night football game against Des Moines Lincoln.

Director of School, Community and Media Relations for the district Eric Smidt said he is uncertain of the exact number of band members that chose not to participate in the anthem. However, he said some members of the approximately 300-member ensemble chose to exit the field and stand in the band section of the football stadium, rather than play their instruments on the field with the rest of the band.

According to Smidt, originally, students intended to take a knee during the national anthem, as has been done by multiple professional athletes after protests against racial injustices and police brutality were first started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. However, Ames High School Principal Spence Evans asked that they stay in the band section if they chose not to play.

As of Saturday evening, the Ames Tribune has been unable to contact any of the students who opted to leave the football field for the anthem to determine the specific cause their actions represented.

“I’ve thought about this a lot today, and clearly people have very strong opinions both ways,” Smidt said of the students’ decision to leave the field. “And I think when someone thinks about it, they can see both sides. I do know the students handled it the way I would expect them to.”

Controversy also sparked earlier in the week on Thursday, when the original theme for Friday night’s game was changed from USA to Pink Out. A tweet sent out by AHS Student Section on Thursday read, “It was brought to our attention that USA theme is too controversial and we are just trying to have good time. PINK OUT tomorrow. #rollclones.”

The school was notified of the student body’s decision to switch themes on Friday, and an announcement read over the intercom by Ames High School student leaders said, “No matter your position, we are all Ames. Wear your pink and come out and support the seniors [for] their last home game at AHS. Link arms, show love, and pack the stands. A house divided cannot stand. Roll ’Clones.”

The decision drew harsh criticism on Twitter, where commenters felt the theme change was unnecessary and unpatriotic.

Smidt said that the decision to change the theme was first and foremost the decision of the student body and multiple student organizations, and was not made because any one was against the theme. Rather, it was made because students did not want to have a divided student section.

“The student body was super impressive on Friday in terms of coming together, sharing what they’re feeling, sharing a solution,” Smidt said. “Frankly, I think we could all learn a lesson from that. [Evans] wants to have students have a voice as much as possible, and that’s exactly what happened in this situation.”

Look for a follow up to this story in Tuesday’s paper.

 

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
sniveling pukes.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Something tells me if they decided to move to well let's say Syria or Turkey or maybe Iran, they could do some serious kneeling and flag disrespecting, and the soldiers there would not mind at all...

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Now listen to a REAL American

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Smidt said that the decision to change the theme was first and foremost the decision of the student body and multiple student organizations, and was not made because any one was against the theme. Rather, it was made because students did not want to have a divided student section.
 

Not. One. More. Penny will I vote for our "education" system. Not one. Not ever again. Mad

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Saints keeping it classy today.. Roll Eyes

quote:
The players took a knee during a moment of silence for a murdered police officer named Marcus McNeil, who was a father of two and was slain while on duty just two days prior to the game

http://ijr.com/the-declaration...ed&utm_campaign=ods&

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Report This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

quote:
The players took a knee during a moment of silence for a murdered police officer named Marcus McNeil, who was a father of two and was slain while on duty just two days prior to the game

Utter trash

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
colin kaepernick files grievance NFL owners for collusion to keep him out of the NFL.

Guess he thinks this will help him get on a team. My guess is he will never play pro ball again.

Someone pass the popcorn this just keeps getting better.

[URL= http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...collusion]link[/URL]
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/...nfl-owners-collusion

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

posted Hide Post
I actually turned off last season when this crap started,

But didn't that a-hole have something like negative yardage in his last game? I thought he got sacked a few time and was picked off.

Do you think if we gave him a participation trophy he'd go the F away? Is that what he's looking for?

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
colin kaepernick files grievance NFL owners for collusion to keep him out of the NFL.

Guess he thinks this will help him get on a team. My guess is he will never play pro ball again.

Someone pass the popcorn this just keeps getting better....

So Kaepernick is claiming racism and demands social justice, in the form of paying him big bucks to play (or maybe even if he doesn't play) football? Seems to me he voluntarily became a free agent. It also makes sense to me that each owner, not in any form of collusion, figured out they would lose money by signing the fellow.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
And yet, fans still continue to attend NFL games. If they stayed home for a week or two, this would end quickly.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
And yet, fans still continue to attend NFL games. If they stayed home for a week or two, this would end quickly.

Which unfortunately tells you that the majority of fans don't care much about the protests. A sad commentary on our society.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The saints taking a knee during a moment of silence for a murdered NO Police Officer leads me to wonder if they understand what they are thinking. The murdered officer was black. Lost all respect for these nfl thugs.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Which unfortunately tells you that the majority of fans don't care much about the protests.

Perhaps they care, understand, and agree.
That would not be the only demonstration of the state of the nation today. The left has done an incredibly effective job of shaping the attitudes of American society, and consequently the ignorance and false beliefs of the vast majority of us knows no bounds.

All those fans may feel just enough uncertainty and embarrassment to not actively support the “protests,” but that doesn’t mean they don’t believe that our law enforcement officers actively seek out opportunities to oppress and even kill black men whenever they can. Before all the riots that started some time ago, I saw opinions expressed here that really weren’t all that different when some members tried to tar all LEOs with the brushes they picked up from a few of their own bad experiences. Things are not quite the same today, but many posts still reveal an undercurrent of fundamental mistrust of law enforcement and even a belief that LEOs are generally incompetent at best and corrupt as a minimum.

The NFL isn’t going away. As clumsy as its players (note that word) and management have been in handling this issue, in time they and the networks will figure out how to let this issue die a natural death. All the outraged fans of today will slowly drift back to yet another thing that allows them to fill their otherwise empty lives.
Get used to the idea now and avoid future disappointment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/geo...-103405977--spt.html

Georgia cheerleaders to protest anthem in stadium tunnel

A group of Georgia cheerleaders say they'll take a knee in the stadium tunnel when the national anthem is played at Saturday's homecoming game since their university moved them off the field after an earlier demonstration.

Kennesaw State University cheerleader Shlondra Young tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the so-called "Kennesaw Five" will kneel until the U.S. flag "represents what it should."

The cheerleaders say they've paid attention to the nationwide debate over NFL players kneeling during the anthem, and they prayed before doing so at a Sept. 30 game.

Cobb County Sheriff Neil Warren tells The Marietta Daily Journal he called the school president after that game and was assured the demonstration would not happen again.

School officials say they moved the cheerleaders off the field before games to "improve the fan experience."

posted Hide Post
Well now Hilary supports the NFL kneelers:

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-anthem-or-flag.html

I'm sure they are happy for her support and the good will it will bring... Roll Eyes

I'll give you one thing, Hilary is not nearly as politically astute as Bill - she certainly doesn't bend with public opinion as much as he did.

Thinking a little more, Hilary tolerated Monica taking a knee (or two for that matter) in front of Bill, so I suppose this is nothing new for her...

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
So, if they all sit for the National Anthem... will the new protest be standing?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

quote:

Were they protesting against the moment of silence?
Or supporting the murdered police officer, Marcus McNeil, by taking a knee?
If they take a knee (not during the National Anthem) it's not necessarily disrespectful of the officer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Considering that this whole thing started with Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, I'd say there's a pretty obvious answer to that question. If the answer to that question was anything else, they'd need to say so clearly and out loud.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ Taking a knee now seems to mean different things to different people. I think it was originally, according to Colon Crappernickle, to protest what some claim is rampant, racist, police brutality. Then I think it became, in the minds of some kneeling, to show team unity/support for teammates without necessarily supporting a particular cause. Now in some cases it seems to just be akin to bowing your head in a moment of silence.

I say we all just kneel anytime we agree with anything, or support anyone at anytime, to make a mockery of it all. For that reason, I'm kneeling as I write this.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post