SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:...
So you are saying money and access to top level counsel plays no role in our justice system? Got it...LOL

I would not say it plays "no" role, but I got a lot of NG's on really tough cases when I was a Public Defender. And at least when I was at that office, undisputed, some of the best criminal defense attorneys in Broward worked for the Public Defender.

And as for OJ, well, that is a text book case on how not to prosecute a high profile case and also how not act as the judge. Different prosecutors, different judge, different outcome. OJ hit the lottery with the judge and prosecutors. I know 2 judges (now Federal District Court judges) that would have had that case done in a month or less. Money helped him, but he could not buy the kind of stupidity we saw from the bench or prosecutors. (I was just leaving the Public Defender's office at that time)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
would not say it plays "no" role, but I got a lot of NG's on really tough cases when I was a Public Defender. And at least when I was at that office, undisputed, some of the best criminal defense attorneys in Broward worked for the Public Defender.

True, but then they left for lucrative private practice. Similar to the docs who fight to get into the ER at Cook County Hospital for trauma experience and then leave for private practice opportunities. Not many stay for the long haul, it appears you did not. It is luck of the draw to some degree.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
I would not say it plays "no" role, but I got a lot of NG's on really tough cases when I was a Public Defender. And at least when I was at that office, undisputed, some of the best criminal defense attorneys in Broward worked for the Public Defender.

I would absolutely concede that there are good public defenders, but I would argue that if you take 2 cases with the same set of facts and the same judge that the person with unlimited funds to spend on their defense will have a much higher chance of a lesser sentence or not guilty verdict. Would there be exceptions? Sure, but on average I would take that bet 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

If I had been charged with this crime, I doubt I would qualify for a public defender (don't know the requirements and haven't looked) and would be left with someone who would take it for very cheap or be stuck trying to represent myself. I would bet that the result would not have been the same for me.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NBC:

Federal judge sentences actress Felicity Huffman to 14 DAYS in jail for participating in the college admissions scheme known as "Varsity Blues."

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter...Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:

I would absolutely concede that there are good public defenders, but I would argue that if you take 2 cases with the same set of facts and the same judge that the person with unlimited funds to spend on their defense will have a much higher chance of a lesser sentence or not guilty verdict. Would there be exceptions? Sure, but on average I would take that bet 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

If I had been charged with this crime, I doubt I would qualify for a public defender (don't know the requirements and haven't looked) and would be left with someone who would take it for very cheap or be stuck trying to represent myself. I would bet that the result would not have been the same for me.

Absolutely. We have a two tiered justice system where the attorneys are a large part of the problem.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
14 Days in prison sentence just handed down, to be served at a future date.

$30K fine, 1 year probation, and a felony.

I wonder how much Lori Laughlin would pay get the same deal /sarcasm/

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Wow.... Hell of a penalty for a case that created such an uproar. Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

As predicted, nobody was going to jail for a long time for this, if at all, more hype than anything else.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is the one who plead guilty, which helped her.

The sentence requested was only 30 days, so this isn't crazy for the court.

I think we often over sentence people, but to me this seems like a 30 to 60 crime, but with a much bigger fine. Fines ought to sting, and this one isn't enough to hurt her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Lori Loughlin’ gonna make somebody a pretty cellmate...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ask her, say, four days into her sentence if fourteen days is a cake walk. She's getting fourteen days more than she might very well have gotten. You know it's true.

She's gonna have a hard time, even if it's just five days.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wish it could be served in a less ideal jail such as the Cook County slammer...

Since the payments were disguised as charitable contributions, how was there no IRS involvement?

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ask her, say, four days into her sentence if fourteen days is a cake walk. She's getting fourteen days more than she might very well have gotten. You know it's true.

Don't ya think that kinda depends on where they send her? If she heads to the Martha Stewart wing at Club Fed, I doubt the stay will be too painful.

Personally, I wanted a whole lot more time and $$$ penalty to send a strong message to others who might pull this BS in the future.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huffman sentenced today to 14 days in jail.
That’ll teach them.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Don't ya think that kinda depends on where they send her? If she heads to the Martha Stewart wing at Club Fed, I doubt the stay will be too painful.

Personally, I wanted a whole lot more time and $$$ penalty to send a strong message to others who might pull this BS in the future.

I would love to see the smug look on her face dissolve when she meets the prison intake matron with her exam gloves pulled on...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the payments were disguised as charitable contributions, how was there no IRS involvement?

Unless that was part of the plea deal, the IRS can charge her at some point with fraudulent deductions. There is certainly the possiblity of an indepth tax audit. In some respects that might be worse than two weeks in jail.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Federal prisons are not places you want to be. Visit one sometime, and I think you will understand. Not everybody has the resilence of Martha Stewart.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Huffman sentenced today to 14 days in jail.
That’ll teach them.
Actually, it just might. This isn't Carlotta from down the block. This is someone who is used to being pampered and privileged and apart from the great unwashed of this world. Her fellow pampered Hollywood bretheren see what's happening to her, and you can bet your bottom dollar (something ol' Felicity has never seen) that they are taking this seriously.

As noted above, Huffman has a cavity search in her near future. To someone who has been treated as being as an exceptional human being because of her celebrity, that's gotta be devastating. I mean, the woman performing the cavity search on her is a nobody who probably warmed her lunch in a microwave. Barbaric!

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:

The fee starts with Contrition. Huffman wisely realized this, Laughlin is too arrogant to have that realization.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Federal prison is no picnic. I've known people a lot less pampered than her reduced to wrecks with just an overnight. And having federal probation all up in your case for years is HIGHLY invasive, especially for the California types who think that having weed legal in their state makes it okay with the feds.

She got this deal because she cooperated. If there are convictions after trial, I'd be stunned if there are similar sentences handed out.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post