SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
'bemused'
I suspect that this word is not in Chiquita Khrushchev's vocabulary. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
So when the scandal broke Olivia Jade was in the Bahamas aboard a USC trustee's yacht. Looks like she was going to get into USC one way or
the other.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
So when the scandal broke Olivia Jade was in the Bahamas aboard a USC trustee's yacht. Looks like she was going to get into USC one way or
the other.

I think she was already in.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
jhe888
Little ray
of sunshine

posted March 15, 2019 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:

The "prestige" schools are not about education. They are about credentialing, so that the graduates gain admittance to social clubs for which a degree from Yale, or Princeton, is required. The established "elites" map out the path for would-be "elites" to follow. It's about holding the credentials that show you belong.

They are about both. You do get an education at Harvard, and a better than average one, at that.

When I say that the prestige schools are not about education, what I mean is that you can get an education that is the equal of Harvard's at many other schools. What you can't get is a diploma that allows you to "drop the H-bomb" at cocktail parties and interviews. The Ivies, along with other prestige schools, are all about credentials.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how this came to light. According to this, the Yale Women's soccer coach is the one that approached the wrong person.

A tip that the women’s soccer coach at Yale University offered to label an executive’s daughter as a recruit in exchange for cash led to the discovery of the largest school admissions scandal ever prosecuted, the Associated Press (AP) reported Thursday.

The executive had already been targeted in a securities fraud investigation, an anonymous law enforcement official said, according to the report. The executive told Boston authorities who were working on the market fraud case that Rudy Meredith, the former women’s soccer coach at Yale University in Connecticut, told him he would identify his daughter as a recruit in exchange for cash.

Investigators recorded a meeting between the executive and the coach at a Boston hotel room in April 2018. During the meeting, which is described in court documents, authorities say Rudy Meredith told the father he would help his daughter get into Yale in exchange for $450,000. Meredith accepted $2,000 in cash in the hotel room and gave the executive directions about how to wire the rest of the money, authorities say.

Meredith began cooperating with the investigation that same month in the hopes of getting a lesser sentence, prosecutors say in court documents. Meredith, who resigned from Yale in November, has agreed to plead guilty to charges including wire fraud. A message was left Thursday on Meredith’s phone.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-coachs-bribe-offer/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "executive" turns out to be Morrie Tobin, a LA financial guy who was being investigated by the Feds for an alleged pump and dump scheme. He attended Yale himself, and was approached by Meredith who solicited him for a bribe to ensure one of his kids would get into Yale. He agreed to wear a wire and record Meredith for a reduced sentence. Instead of years in prison he is looking at 36 months of supervised release.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The "executive" turns out to be Morrie Tobin, a LA financial guy who was being investigated by the Feds for an alleged pump and dump scheme. He attended Yale himself, and was approached by Meredith who solicited him for a bribe to ensure one of his kids would get into Yale. He agreed to wear a wire and record Meredith for a reduced sentence. Instead of years in prison he is looking at 36 months of supervised release.

So...I guess it's true. Who ever talks first gets the best deal Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So...I guess it's true. Who ever talks first gets the best deal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It would seem so. Very little danger of getting whacked too. No one has come out yet and called him a rat. I guess these folks are too high class. Probably will revoke his country club membership instead. For some of these people that is almost as bad.LOL

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wonder if AOC wasn't a beneficiary of something similar. Hard to believe she's graduated from BU but then again, maybe not.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I wonder if AOC wasn't a beneficiary of something similar. Hard to believe she's graduated from BU but then again, maybe not.

Not only graduated, but graduated cum loudly as well. Wait. Did I say that right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m not seeing much talk about the “charitable deductions” to the “charity”.

The IRS and the State Tax Conmision Agencies should hammer those people hard!

If I were one of the accused, and guilty, I’d be rightfully terrified of the Tax Agencies, both Fed and State!
We’ll have to wait and see how that works out.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Not only graduated, but graduated cum loudly as well. Wait. Did I say that right?

Hard to believe. She comes across as being about as smart as a box of rocks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Hard to believe. She comes across as being about as smart as a box of rocks.

To be fair, doesn't practically everyone graduate cum laude nowadays?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Loughlin's daughter sounds like a really spoiled little hole.

Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade was aboard USC official's yacht in Bahamas when mom was charged

The owner of the yacht should have some explaining to do. Staff members Socializing with students has specific limits, and I think having students on a yacht during spring break is close to the line if not crossing the line.

Imagine how the students who didn't get invited on the yacht trip feel. Imagine the chances for favoritism.

The entire system is screwed.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Young Miss Olivia is most likely relieved she does not have to fuss with an education or college any longer. More time to dedicate to being a You Tube twit or however far she can swim from the shallow gene pool.

I'd be willing to bet she could care less if her parents served some time over this, she is totally self absorbed by now. As a matter of fact I bet they would do a remake of Risky Business at the Loughlin home if mommy and daddy were shall we say absent....

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To quote OKC Gene, “If I were one of the accused, and guilty, I’d be rightfully terrified of the Tax Agencies, both Fed and State.”

The tax man got Capone, didn’t they!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
To quote OKC Gene, “If I were one of the accused, and guilty, I’d be rightfully terrified of the Tax Agencies, both Fed and State.”

The tax man got Capone, didn’t they!

Ah, the IRS ain't what it used to be unless you're a conservative hard working stiff. I'm willing to bet the consequences aren't going to be devastating to these elites. They may suffer some humility and I'm thinking they are not capable of experiencing that emotion.

Enough money for long enough makes you impervious to humility and guilt or shame. I think it's called the Clinton syndrome.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

The owner of the yacht should have some explaining to do. Staff members Socializing with students has specific limits, and I think having students on a yacht during spring break is close to the line if not crossing the line.

He's not a faculty member.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Good article by Howie Carr. "...rich, pampered pukes" says it all:

By HOWIE CARR | howard.carr@medianewsgroup.com | Boston Herald
PUBLISHED: March 14, 2019 at 9:23 pm | UPDATED: March 15, 2019 at 4:09 am

These arrogant, smug, rich pampered pukes in the middle of the college admissions scandal — they’re even more obnoxious than you think.

I read the entire 204-page affidavit the FBI filed in support of the criminal complaint, and it’s like being locked in a windowless room with 12 or 15 of the Democrat candidates for president. They ooze smarminess, entitlement and sanctimony, and as stupid as they are, they are absolutely positive that they are the smartest, most woke people in the room.

Let’s go straight to the affidavit. Meet Agustin Huneeus Jr. of San Francisco. His daddy owns some vineyards in the Napa Valley. His below-average daughter has been trying to get into USC in one of those water polo scams. It’s the usual thing — “fraudulent SAT score and a fabricated athletic profile” — including a photo of somebody else playing water polo. Hey, who cares, right?

Cost: $250,000.

After the FBI flipped the head of the racket, William Singer, the G-men ordered him to call Huneeus last November. The feds were rolling tape as Singer told him how to explain all the payments he was making to the fraudster.

Singer: “Okay. So what I want to make sure is that you and I both on the same page … .”

Huneeus: “Dude, dude, what do you think, I’m a moron?”

Um, yes, Augie, that’s exactly what we all think you are.

Meet Devin Sloane, he’s in the water business somehow in LA. In 2017 his son wanted to go to USC, and the water polo scam price was the customary $250,000. Only one problem: the high school guidance counselor flagged the mediocre kid’s application, noting that the high school he attended didn’t have a water polo team.

That didn’t bother Singer, he was just going to rewrite the application to say that the kid participated in summer water polo leagues in, oh, how’s Serbia sound? Portugal? But Daddy Devin Sloane was outraged that some crummy high school guidance counselor would flag his kid’s scam.

“The more I think about this, it is outrageous!” he emailed Singer. “They have no business or legal right considering all the student’s privacy issues to be calling and challenging/questioning (my son’s) application.”

How dare they catch Mr. Devin Sloane cheating! Don’t they know who he is?

Then there’s Felicity Huffman, the moonbat actress. The scheme was to have her daughter take the SAT at the location Singer controlled in West Hollywood, where they could bring in a ringer for the stupid kid.

But then another one of those meddling high school counselors got involved, and suddenly Huffman morphed into another TV character — a cartoon dog named Scooby Doo. She emailed Singer: “Ruh Roh! Looks like (my daughter’s high school) wants to provide own proctor!”

All these people have more money than God. But they can’t stop chiseling. Take Elisabeth Kimmel, who sold her family’s TV stations in the Midwest a few years back for $325 million. Yet she paid Singer $275,000 out of her own Meyer Family Charitable Foundation and then listed it on her tax returns as a charitable contribution.

Ruh-roh! Do you suppose the IRS will read the affidavit? (It’s on page 145.)

Then there’s John Wilson of Lynnfield and Hyannis Port. He wired $1 million last fall to Singer. He wanted to get his two daughters into Harvard and Stanford.

Do you suppose the G-men will refund his million bucks?

In 2014, after Wilson’s dullard son got into USC, he wrote Singer inquiring about the $220,000 fee:

“What are the options for the payment? Can we make it for consulting or whatever from the (scam foundation) so that I can pay it from the corporate account?”

I’m not a tax expert — are companies now allowed to pay bribes out of corporate funds?

Finally, there’s Gordon Caplan, co-chairman of the New York law firm where Wendell Willkie, the Republican candidate for president in 1940, once practiced.

He’s busted, of course, charged with conspiracy to commit honest services fraud. But unlike the rest of the Beautiful People, at least Caplan was worried about the legal jeopardy for himself and his dimwit daughter during the crooked standardized test. Here are some of his comments in phone conversations recorded by the FBI last summer:

“If somebody catches this, what happens? … I’m not worried about the moral issue here. I’m worried about the, if she’s caught doing that, you know, she’s finished … Keep in mind I am a lawyer. So I’m sort of rules-oriented. Doing this with you, no way — she’s taking the test. It’s her taking the test, right. There’s no way any trouble comes out of this, nothing like that?”

No, no way, no trouble. What could possibly go wrong, Mr. Caplan? Ruh-roh!

https://www.bostonherald.com/2...rs-ooze-entitlement/

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Watching a story about this on TV. Apparently Singer (the ring leader) has been doing this for 24 years and for over 800 families (meaning maybe more than one kid per family.) One wonders how far back they're going to try to unwind this. There could be people out of college, maybe grad school, and ten years into a career who could get reeled in.

It would be wonderful if they went back and investigated all of these people. Retract degrees. I'm sure many have what are essentially fake degrees and got great paying jobs with those fake degrees. Hope it gets them fired from their jobs, too.

The liberals want to talk about white privilege but yet ignore shit like this because of their celebrity worship.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post