SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
San Cristobal is usually a decent stick. I had my first CAO MX2 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Pepper, cedar and intermingled molasses and bitter chocolate.

ETA: CI has a great deal going this week. You pick three different five packs for $39.99 ($45.98 w/shipping but still a great deal). I ordered CAO Pilon robusto, Ramon Bueso Project toro and Man o War Armada.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
goatboyz,

The B&M that I go to has a pretty extensive pipe area. I tried it for a small while, it cameras to to a choice for me. Good cigars and humidors, or pipes and that world. I just could not balance both.

One of my biggest challenges with a pipe was that it has to be re-lit so often. I just didn't enjoy the routine the same way I do that of the cigar world.

I smoke Virginia flakes almost exclusively. Flakes are thin, dense slices about 1-1/2" x 3". I cut them into small rectangles for easy packing. After 2 or 3 charing lights, and a subsequent tamp, I can usually keep my pipe going indefinitely with slow, steady puffing – although I usually let it go out after 10-12 minutes. After a few minutes I relight.

In the quantities I buy, a 50g tin of top-notch tobacco costs $10-$11, and lasts about 5 days. My favorites are Dunhill Flake, Vintage and Cut Virginia Plug (both by Fribourg & Treyer), and Capstan Medium (blue tin label).

The tins are very compact, 3-3/4" x 3-1/4" x 7/8", so I can keep several hundred tins in stock – enough that tins have 1-2 years of age on them when opened.

Pipe smoking, and pipe maintenance, both have quite a learning curve …

BTW – I lived in the Twin Cities for about 30 years – mostly Roseville and Little Canada. Glad to be in San Diego now. Currently it's 74 degrees & sunny with a light breeze. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that visual aid and description, Mr. Pipe. I remember the owner of the flight school where I went for Private thru Commercial/Multi...he's probably flown everything that has wings right after Orville and Wilbur made their inaugural flight. Anyway...he smoked a pipe and I swear he was putting his lighter to that thing every 37 seconds. Kinda turned me off of pipe smoking because it looked like too much trouble...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My lancero is making angry faces at me

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goatboyz:
Alright guys, I know this is the sticks and protection thread but stay with me for a minute.. Does anyone here smoke pipes? I've smoked a pipe on and off since I turned 18 (nowhere near as frequent as cigars but I've dabbled). Anyway, I was doing some reading while I've been laid up and stumbled upon the idea of purchasing estate pipes... I found smokingpipes.com and purchased an English made estate pipe and some tobacco.. I'm very much looking forward to getting it! Anyone else enjoy a pipe in lieu of a gar once in a while?
<snip>

Ive purchased several new pipes, and much pipe tobacco, from SmokingPipes. I've eye-balled several of their estate pipes, but haven't bought any to date. They're honest folks and their service is quite good.

The photos, descriptions, and specifications that they provide for their pipe offerings are the best that I've found on the Internet.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Alright guys, I know this is the sticks and protection thread but stay with me for a minute.. Does anyone here smoke pipes? I've smoked a pipe on and off since I turned 18 (nowhere near as frequent as cigars but I've dabbled). Anyway, I was doing some reading while I've been laid up and stumbled upon the idea of purchasing estate pipes... I found smokingpipes.com and purchased an English made estate pipe and some tobacco.. I'm very much looking forward to getting it! Anyone else enjoy a pipe in lieu of a gar once in a while?
<snip>

Ive purchased several new pipes, and much pipe tobacco, from SmokingPipes. I've eye-balled several of their estate pipes, but haven't bought any to date. They're honest folks and their service is quite good.

The photos, descriptions, and specifications that they provide for their pipe offerings are the best that I've found on the Internet.

Sounds like you have a true system with your pipe tobacco.. Have you ever bought kake or rope to help with moisture retention during your aging? How are you aging your tins? If you have a hundred or more, you must not be putting them in a "humidor"...

I was impressed while going through their site. Since it was a new site, and I wasn't really sure about the estate deal I did't get a real expensive pipe (I bought an Abercrombie and Fitch smooth bent billiard).. I really like the story of A&F from when the pipe was constructed (pre 1977) when they were a true outfitter.. Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Hemingway, Amelia Airport, etc were some of the well known customers.. I bought some A&C Peterson Escudo Navy deluxe and Nording Hunter Blend: Fox Hound tobacco. I really like the idea of so many new tobaccos out there to try.. I'm going to put the ones you listed on my must try list. Thanks for the input!

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
<snip>

I got a corncob pipe and a few tins of tobacco on that website last week. I enjoyed a bowl it but all the relights were a pain. My wife definitely likes the smell better than my cigars.

I never smoke cigars inside or in my truck but I could see smoking a pipe on a long trip. I'm not sure how I'd manage all the relighting while driving though.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure how I'd manage all the relighting while driving though.

If you are relighting it, you are not doing it right. Wink

I came in second in a pipe smoking contest by keeping 1/8 ounce of "Cube Cut Three Star" lit for 55 minutes. Won a really nice English pipe for the effort. Had to go lay out in the car for an hour to clear my head though. That stuff was just dried stalks and shit! A couple of guys puked on the stage during the contest and most did not last 10 minutes.

I miss smoking my pipes, but my better half worries too much.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Crux Bull and Bear tonight. This is a BIG cigar, about 56 ring gauge. Lots of dense smoke, starting out big and bold.

I'm a pipe smoker in the cold weather months. I've smoked a black cavendish for 3 decades. Tried Virginia and many other types but always come back to this stuff. I have my grandfather's smoking stand that I keep my pipes on. I also have my dad's Kaywoodie pipe that my mom gave to him on their first anniversary in 1937

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
<snip>

Sounds like you have a true system with your pipe tobacco.. Have you ever bought kake or rope to help with moisture retention during your aging? How are you aging your tins? If you have a hundred or more, you must not be putting them in a "humidor"...

I was impressed while going through their site. Since it was a new site, and I wasn't really sure about the estate deal I did't get a real expensive pipe (I bought an Abercrombie and Fitch smooth bent billiard).. I really like the story of A&F from when the pipe was constructed (pre 1977) when they were a true outfitter.. Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Hemingway, Amelia Airport, etc were some of the well known customers.. I bought some A&C Peterson Escudo Navy deluxe and Nording Hunter Blend: Fox Hound tobacco. I really like the idea of so many new tobaccos out there to try.. I'm going to put the ones you listed on my must try list. Thanks for the input!

Re:"How are you aging your tins? If you have a hundred or more, you must not be putting them in a "humidor"…" I just put the tins in a drawer or cupboard inside my home, where it's dry with a moderate temperature. The tobacco doesn't dry out in the tins. In fact, I have some 7 to 8 year old "Full Virginia Flake" (Samuel Gawith) tins that I open only for special occasions, and the tobacco is so moist that I have to cut up a pipe full's worth, then spread the bits on a plate and let it dry for an hour or so before smoking it. The remainder I take out of the tin and put into a Weck canning jar, along with a couple of moisturizers. Then I limit myself to one pipeful of FVF per week.

The Escudo is pretty strong tobacco, but good stuff – similar in taste and physical form to Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls.

Serious about crackers

Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
I'm a woman and I smoke "White Owls." Razz

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Domt post that here. You might end up with a mailbox full of swisher sweet instant karma Big Grin

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
Kristoff Robusto Sampler by Nathan Latsha, on Flickr

Had the Kristoff Corojo Limitada tonight out of this beautiful robusto sample pack. It has a Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper. Medium to full-bodied smoke with hints of leather, spice, and roasted nuts. Ranked 93 last year from Cigar Aficionado.

Trying out an Alec Bradley Tempus tomorrow.

Alec Bradley by Nathan Latsha, on Flickr

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
<snip>

Re:"How are you aging your tins? If you have a hundred or more, you must not be putting them in a "humidor"…" I just put the tins in a drawer or cupboard inside my home, where it's dry with a moderate temperature. The tobacco doesn't dry out in the tins. In fact, I have some 7 to 8 year old "Full Virginia Flake" (Samuel Gawith) tins that I open only for special occasions, and the tobacco is so moist that I have to cut up a pipe full's worth, then spread the bits on a plate and let it dry for an hour or so before smoking it. The remainder I take out of the tin and put into a Weck canning jar, along with a couple of moisturizers. Then I limit myself to one pipeful of FVF per week.

The Escudo is pretty strong tobacco, but good stuff – similar in taste and physical form to Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls.

Good to know! I've really only used flake tobacco in pouches which obviously dries out easily, so I wasn't sure how the tins would age. Makes me a little more confident to get a couple of tins when I order from someplace..

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Crux Bull and Bear tonight. This is a BIG cigar, about 56 ring gauge. Lots of dense smoke, starting out big and bold.

I'm a pipe smoker in the cold weather months. I've smoked a black cavendish for 3 decades. Tried Virginia and many other types but always come back to this stuff. I have my grandfather's smoking stand that I keep my pipes on. I also have my dad's Kaywoodie pipe that my mom gave to him on their first anniversary in 1937

I love the history! I grew up smelling my father smoke his pipe on car trips, while working on chores around the farm (we had a hobby farm with pigs, some cows, chickens, goats for milk, etc) and while cutting wood (we heated the house solely with the fireplace).. I catch a whiff of his tobacco now, and I'm back to being ten years old learning how to work on a vehicle or some other manly task.. I like black cavendish too. I always seem to gravitate back to it..

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My children all speak fondly of my pipe smoke although my daughter went through a phase where "I was killing all of them" in her early teens. My favorite pipe is a bentwood Savenelli that I bought the day we moved our daughter into an apartment when she started at Hope College.

My mom wrote up a providence for the smoking stand. It has the address of her parents house in Detroit. The house is still standing and someday I'm going to go and get a picture of me there. I'm named for him so it's a very important family heirloom to me. It has 2 ashtrays with stands that hang on each side. The ashtrays are not the original, my mom said they were cobalt blue. I'll find some someday to make it as close to the original as possible.

Nothing like the ritual of filling, tamping and lighting a good pipe.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
My children all speak fondly of my pipe smoke although my daughter went through a phase where "I was killing all of them" in her early teens. My favorite pipe is a bentwood Savenelli that I bought the day we moved our daughter into an apartment when she started at Hope College.

My mom wrote up a providence for the smoking stand. It has the address of her parents house in Detroit. The house is still standing and someday I'm going to go and get a picture of me there. I'm named for him so it's a very important family heirloom to me. It has 2 ashtrays with stands that hang on each side. The ashtrays are not the original, my mom said they were cobalt blue. I'll find some someday to make it as close to the original as possible.

Nothing like the ritual of filling, tamping and lighting a good pipe.

What a great thing to have Brad. Can you post a picture, love to see it.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
What is everyone's stick of choice going to be tonight? I figure in honor of the 50th Superbowl, I'll go with a Padron 50th!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Because Mustang!
Picture of camshaft86
posted Hide Post
Here's my Superbowl 50 lineup.

------------------------------
Sig P228
Sig 1911 Ultra

Posts: 392 | Location: SE TX | Registered: October 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Not sure yet. Teaching my girlfriend's daughters how to shoot this afternoon. Got them daisy bb guns and a daisy pistol. I packed the travel humidor with a bunch of good sticks though.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post