SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas cans and gas can storage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas cans and gas can storage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You will be better off using a shaker style siphon than any donkey dicks (fuel can nozzle) you will find, that is unless you like loosing 10% of your fuel.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This is the nozzle I got for my NATO cans.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What's the final verdict here fellas? Go with Wavian, or GELG? Or is it six of one and half-dozen the other?

After seeing mine and understanding what Atlantic ships, I'd go with Atlantic.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Do those cans have a reddish orange coating on the inside? I ask because the green one I bought from Wavian does not say "not for fuel use" on the side and has the coating (dosen't say "petrol" either). It is CARB certified for fuel when you use the CARB nozzle (I bought a standard spout from aBay UK).

I wonder is Wavian builds cans different for different markets.

No coating inside, green as the outside.

quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
The Wavians I received from Atlantic have a full width weld where the handles attach to the cans, rather than the right and left tab welds as the GELG photo appears to show. Plus they're marked as being ok for fuel use and have an orange colored inside. Of course they're more expensive since Atlantic wasn't offering free shipping when I bought mine about a month ago, so you have to consider that too.

Yes, I'm a little dissapointed about the welds but quite honestly, these will likely sit empty for most of their existence and I'm telling myself that to move on. I was under the impression that the Atlantic cans were also marked "not for fuel use" but could be wrong. I think the donkey dick spout on the Wavian looks more robust and has better venting than that of the Gelg.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They Atlantic cans just come with a sticker (you can peel off) that says For non potable water. At first I thought that was their way around something. But the cans are marked Petrol. My can came with a strong internal oder of some chemical, so I'm starting to think the sticker may be an honest "Hey don't drink out of this" as much as CARB ass covering. Smile

I think the Atlantic site actually suggests you don't buy the flexible nozzle.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I have that nozzle and don't ever spill a drop. Your listing notes it's $33, I believe I paid $19. I thought $19 was steep. I will add that Old Grouch did a run of epdm gaskets so you can replace the rubber. Get them now, toss them in the corner and replace when needed. I'm in year 3 and my rubber gaskets are still flawless (5 cans total). If I roll a full can over and around, it won't spill a drop. These are designed to have a small air space in the top, don't try and beat that by overfilling it by tipping the can. The small air space gives it a little room to maneuver- expand contract.

If you are concerned about air -fuel contact, perhaps it's better to just put in some PRI-G or Stabil 360.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Your listing notes it's $33, I believe I paid $19.

$20 sounds about what I paid. I couldn't find the link to where I bought it, but the Amazon link at least shows the product.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IIRC Atlantic British prices are a bit higher through Amazon than ordering off their site, so you both might be right.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

this is the one SwissLink(?) replaced the original POS-CALDOT/whatever licensing authority was that was thrilled about the 2 piece place POS leaking joint one I mentioned here recently.

In using the Wayvian (green) 5.2gal (20L?) the last 4 months, it has been absolutely perfect.

Even the fail spout has a marvelous attaching mechanism, that if all else failed, I would tear the plastic leaker end off and use the stub....but the photo above has worked well for me the last 2 months in Lawn Tractor use. It is open with no stopper, so requires removal when done.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a couple vintage Jerry cans, used when I acquired them 40 years ago. The old flexible metal 'donkey dick' spouts that screw in are very difficult to locate.

Will these fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replac...p2047675.c100623.m-1

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Rover has them on sale for $18.95

http://www.roverparts.com/cart/ShowCart.cfm

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, Deutschoptik sent me another spout/nozzle, not just the replacement plastic piece but the entire unit. So I now have two donkey dicks.

Good luck!

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Roverparts.com just notified me that the Wavians are back in stock, so I just ordered from Atlantic British, again.

A couple of weeks ago I received a 5L can to check out the quality, but I only owned it for about 5 minutes before my son realized it fit perfectly in a recess on his four-wheeler, and that the OD green perfectly matches his green plastics. Smile

So now the re-order.

I've got 8-20L, 2-10L, and 2-5L, 2 spouts, and a couple packages of gaskets. It worked out to about $575.00 after their 10% discount. I'm giving half of these to my brother, so it's not as crazy as it seems. If these other Wavian cans are anything like the little 5L I already received, I should be please. Buy once, cry once.

Four of these new 20L cans, along with the 6 NATO surplus ones I already have, should let me store 50 gallons. You never know when you'll need 50 gallons of non-potable "water." Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not read the whole thread, so if mentioned before, feel free to beat me up. Wink

I store gas in 15 gal soap containers I got from the local car wash, cleaned out thoroughly, and the dried thoroughly.

Instead of Stabil, I use Pri-G for gas and Pri-D for kerosene. Right now I am using 4 year old non-ethanol gas and replacing it without a single problem.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I've got 8-20L, 2-10L, and 2-5L, 2 spouts, and a couple packages of gaskets. It worked out to about $575.00 after their 10% discount. I'm giving half of these to my brother, so it's not as crazy as it seems. If these other Wavian cans are anything like the little 5L I already received, I should be please. Buy once, cry once.

What's this about a 10% discount?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's this about a 10% discount?

When I first put something into the cart, a popup appeared and offered me 10% my first order if I agreed to be spammed. Sure, I’ll take 10% off so you can spam an email account I don’t check, I thought.

Although it wasn’t my first order, I didn’t use a code for the first little can. They sent me a code in my email that knocked 10% off at checkout. It saved me about $55.

I’m guessing they offer one code per email, regardless if it’s the first order, when you agree to be on the mailing list.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 7500 watt generator.... I've been toying with the concept of storing aviation fuel for it.

Avgas is more refined and has a shelf life of about 3 years ( if I remember correctly). I know of folks who have started airplanes that haven't run in 10 years with the old gas in it and they tell me that it seems to run fine.

AvGas is 100 octane so it's a little higher than premium and it does have a small amount of lead in it. Since I'm pretty sure that my generator or ATV for that matter doesn't have a catalytic converter , so that shouldn't matter. At my airport , it presently sells for $5.20/gal so it's not something you would want to use on a regular basis.

Still thinking about it ! mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
These European military spec flameproof metal jerry cans are the preferred way to store and transport non-potable liquid. Their tough NATO-style body makes them extra durable and fuel safe interior liner means that you will never have to worry about corrosion. These cans are great for off-road adventures or as an emergency backup! Don't get caught with your knock off cans from China falling apart, get these instead.

Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel.

I'm guessing this is some sort of emissions/ozone/environmentalist clap trap. What else are they for except the storage of fuel?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EPA requires a nearly useless nozzle on the can and the can painted red before they'll give their blessing for use to store fuel. Make your own decision on that.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
According to the Wavian USA website all colors of their Jerry cans are CARB and EPA certified for use with fuel as long as they are used with the "safety" spout they ship with.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
$75 for shipping?! Eek

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post