SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2 Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Thanks in advance for your help/advice...

We have a 2015 Subaru Outback with an intermittent problem.

A few months ago we stopped and were eating in our car at a fast "food" restaurant. The only draw on the non-running car was the radio. We finished eating in 5-10 minutes and the car would not start. We jumped the car and were off and running.

No problems since then until we went to a Mizzou football game this past Saturday. We had the tailgate up for ~1-1/2 hours, locked up the car, went to the game, came back, and of course the car would not start. Jumped. Back on the road and no problem with restarts.

Yesterday I stopped by WalMart, Consumer Reports gives their batteries high ratings and cost ~$100, and their check showed the battery was OK.

Given WalMart's report below, I'm thinking the alternator is not doing its job and is just keeping the battery at the minimal level. Hence any non-running electrical draws, drain the battery.

Any advice/thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The alternator was working (at least during the test) with the 14.2 volts. The 10.19 volts with the starter is getting down there. I would try a new battery since it is 4 years old and looks weak to me.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Is this the original battery?

If so, go get a new one.

Your alternator is fine.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
2.5 engine?
Common issue, Subaru put crap batteries in them.
tail gate up uses power.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/...-with-better.391217/

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just going by percentages, it’s most likely the battery. Check what you can, make sure any belts are doing their job.

Any ‘parasite draw’ & possibly type of driving(very short trips) could contribute.

You could take the battery out & evaluate it with a maintainer of sorts, if available.

I’ve been happy with Johnson Controls batteries from Wally World.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Looks like a weak battery. Alternator output is fine.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Is this the original battery?

Yes it's the original battery and we do have the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I am with everyone else, replace the battery.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I drive an OB and as others have said, it's the Subaru OE battery that's the culprit.

The problems are twofold with the crappy factory battery:

1. Look at the CCA. It's very low comparted to what's available. Move up to a size 34 battery like a lot of people, myself included of if you're inclined, a 25 but with at least 700 CCA.

2. Subie received lots of complaints over this and part of the problem was that the alternator wasn't charging very much on short trips. This was designed for fuel effiency aka if the alternator isn't being charged at adds to the city mileage. There's likley a software update for you.

Finally, the Subaru philosophy is that the battery only needs to be strong enough to start the car and not power everything with the engine off. This means they can have a smaller battery, save weight and still start the car.

Taken together, it all is receipe for disaster. Buy non-Subaru battery of sufficient CCA and also, a jump pack to keep in your car for just in case.

I replaced my battery with an Optima 34 and it's been perfect. No issues.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." --Janice Serrano

But you can get a new size 34 battery?
Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 355 CCA ?
Looks like it should be 500-550 CCA.

My motorcycle battery is 230 CCA.

Replace it with a quality battery.... Deka, Duracell (same as Deka), etc.
"Batteries plus bulbs" is a good place to purchase a new battery.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
"I'm not dead yet" does not mean you should not toss that battery on the dead cart.

Buy a good AGM battery. Optima, Duralast Gold, etc. $200. Money well spent.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The battery is only factory rated at 355 CCA? It's a weak-ass battery to start with, and now it's four years old. I think you need a battery. The cranking voltage (under the load of the starter) is low. I'd like to see at least 10.5, in fact, closer to 11. The charging voltage looks fine.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you buy the battery from Wal-Mart the warranty is good throughout the country. They are also Deka BTW. As a matter of fact, if you see a black with white letter and number date code dot on a battery it is most likely a Deka.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My 2015 Subaru Legacy battery lasted three years. Buy a new battery.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Looks like your battery and alternator are fine, but that's a small battery. It won't take much to drain it to the point of not starting the car, so quit leaving stuff on! Razz When it finally does go, I'd put a bigger battery in.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Looks like your battery and alternator are fine...

Actually, the voltage drops too low when cranking. Battery is weak and should be replaced now before it leaves him stranded.

I no longer use Johnson Controls batteries in any of my cars. The last few I have had have leaked acid (in less than 2 years) through the posts or the caps. I now only use East Penn manufactured batteries.

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnson Controls no longer makes automotive batteries. They sold that division off to another company.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Johnson Controls no longer makes automotive batteries. They sold that division off to another company.

Good point. I don’t know if their new batteries have started showing up with their new name “Clarios” instead of Johnson Controls or not.

———————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Actually, the voltage drops too low when cranking. Battery is weak and should be replaced now before it leaves him stranded.

Are you sure the voltage drop isn't just because it's only a 355CCA battery to begin with? It put out 373CCA in the test. If it had say a 500CCA battery, the voltage wouldn't drop nearly as much.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post