SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2 Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
East Penn/ Deka to the rescue.

That’s actually an Exide battery.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
356 CCA. I don't think I've ever seen one that low. Do you guys have somewhat regular weather year round? No Chicago type of cold snaps or Arizona types of heat for a few days?

Glad you upgraded. Damn shame the manufacturer would equip a Subaru with a battery like that considering how many people buy them in cold/snow areas due to their AWD capabilities.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Per the internet our annual avg low is 29 and the high is 85.

However due to "global warming" Wink last winter we had an almost 2 week string of negative to 10 degree average temps.

This summer we were 100+ quite a few times.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
356 CCA. I don't think I've ever seen one that low. Do you guys have somewhat regular weather year round? No Chicago type of cold snaps or Arizona types of heat for a few days?

Glad you upgraded. Damn shame the manufacturer would equip a Subaru with a battery like that considering how many people buy them in cold/snow areas due to their AWD capabilities.

I haven't seen one that low either. Those are cranking amps I'd expect for a household lawn tractor battery. Lowest I remember seeing for a car was 525 cca.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
East Penn/ Deka to the rescue.

That’s actually an Exide battery.

You are correct. I didn't even look at the label. Just assumed it was one of ours.

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
My Ota, Gunma made Subaru came with a Panasonic PbSO4 rated at 785 CA and 640 CCA size 35. Lasted 7 years.
I can't imagine having less cranking amps

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
My Ota, Gunma made Subaru came with a Panasonic PbSO4 rated at 785 CA and 640 CCA size 35. Lasted 7 years.
I can't imagine having less cranking amps

Not sure what an ota gunma is but the Panasonic in my Japan-made 4-Runner also lasted 7 years, when I replaced it out of caution, not because it died. The Toyota -marked battery I replaced it with, died after 3 years.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My truck recently got a Deka as a protective measure (6.5 years out of the original).

The 2008 Impreza for near exactly 5 years from the factory battery. We went with an AAA battery, which failed under warranty in 3.5 years.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Thank you everyone. Sigforum never disappoints!

I have to contradict this statement. Because scanning all of hte replies I did not see one single post suggesting CLEANING THE TERMINALS AND CABLE ENDS. Which has been a major cause for failures to crank since about 1910's when starter motors first started to appear.

Well, they finally figured it out and now use side posts so the vented acid fumes don't eat the cables. Even better if the battery is enclosed and has no water adding capability.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The Subaru batteries of 2015 were low powered and never meant to survive our cold weather.

The last year I had to keep it on a battery tender every few days throughout the winter. I finally decided to replace it one summer and had to do the window reset as well. Also my horn would beep when braking. Not sure what that was. Removed the horn fuse so I could get to work. Reinstalled it before going home and it didn't happen again.

Then my stupid self traded the car in a week later.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8174 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get the everstart battery the only "issue" is the posts are on the backside of the battery so you have to "stretch" the cables to reach the post.

You should be able to find one with the top posts. It may be dangerous of a possible short if you use the side post.

Just find a model with the correct length and width and CCA.

Don't forget to keep your receipt if you need service.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the batteries (2) in my Chevy diesel truck. They were manufactured 2/15, so I didn't think I was going to make it through the winter with them. I could tell a drop-off in cranking power already. The new ones, Duracell AGM from Sam's, crank like a rat on crystal meth.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

Not sure what an ota gunma is but the Panasonic in my Japan-made 4-Runner also lasted 7 years, when I replaced it out of caution, not because it died. The Toyota -marked battery I replaced it with, died after 3 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cta,_Gunma#Economy

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post