SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery or Alternator or ...? - 2015 Subaru Outback - Update pg 2 Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a battery made by East Penn. Their house brand is Deka and they rebrand under NAPA Gold, SuperStart Extreme, and Duracell.

The last NAPA battery I put in has a 75 month warranty.

I think I paid $80

Posts: 1103 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
The battery issue is discussed at length on outback and forester forums. Its a common problem, and if you hop over there you can research what batteries people are putting in the Outbacks. Seems like the favorites were yellow top deep cycle types.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. Sigforum never disappoints!

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Actually, the voltage drops too low when cranking. Battery is weak and should be replaced now before it leaves him stranded.

Are you sure the voltage drop isn't just because it's only a 355CCA battery to begin with? It put out 373CCA in the test. If it had say a 500CCA battery, the voltage wouldn't drop nearly as much.

Maybe. But either way 10.19V is too low to begin with. Like others stated earlier, Subaru sourced a battery that’s too weak. Not to mention it also causes more stress on the starter motor.

I always try to buy a battery with the most CCA’s I can get that will still fit in the battery tray.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also get the largest battery that will fit. I make the battery tray larger if possible, pull out the tape measure and see what I can make fit...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Replaced the Battery in my 2012 with a Bosch AGM

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed any "electrical" odor in the car?

I'm talking about that acrid smell you get when something arcs.

Reason I ask is I had similar symptoms in a 2009 GMC Sierra that ended up being the alternator. I didn't know this was a symptom of a failing alternator until after the fact. It wasn't a strong smell, subtle, and usually when the engine had been really working like a long drive in hilly country.

Mine tested fine, and so did the battery, like yours. If I used too much juice without the engine running though it would drop the battery just enough to not start, just like yours.

Ultimately I was driving it on a sub zero day where it started fine, but when it downshifted to climb a hill while driving it just died.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
We have a 2017 Forester...had to replace the battery before we even had it 2 years. We do love the car though.

Posts: 746 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any update? Is it better now? What happened?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 4 cylinder. Last Summer a friend riding with me, opened his door for ventilation, while I went into a store. I was gone no more than 10 minutes and when I returned, the car did not want to start. Fortunately, it eventually did but when I mentioned it to my Subaru salesman, he confided that over the previous Winter, they had replaced 17 batteries under warranty. I replaced mine with an Interstate from Costco for less than $80. Why a company like Subaru puts such a lame battery in a car, popular with people in colder climates, is a mystery.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Any update? Is it better now? What happened?

Sorry! The car has been starting fine ever since, however, as a preventive measure I plan to replace it very soon.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Well we had a cold snap last night and the Subbie was slow to start.

So off the WalMart to buy Consumer Reports 86 rated EverStart battery. 4 hour wait to install so I brought it home, installed, and took the old one back to get the refund on the core charge.

What a difference! The stock battery, a group 25 with 356cca, and the replacement a Maxx24F with 725cca, and very fast to start now.

After the install the only issue was the drivers side window would not operate from using the drivers side control and the auto up/down feature did not work.

Google to the rescue with the suggestion of taking window down 1/2 way, hold to go up, and after all the way up hold the up button for 1-2 seconds. Drivers side fixed. Then did the same using the passenger control and it's fixed too.

Ready for winter!

posted Hide Post
East Penn/ Deka to the rescue.

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You did good. I have used their Maxx batteries for a long time and usually get 7 years of use and then sometimes use them on the lawn tractor for several more years.

I only had one with a bad cell and it was replaced the first year.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
The stock battery, a group 25 with 356cca...

Wow, that's a serious POS Subaru OEM battery right there....Shocking low CCA!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9442 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's 4 yr old outback wouldn't start this morning either. I had just spent maybe 5 minutes with the key on (in the garage so engine off) reconnecting her bluetooth after an Apple update. I jumped it and it was fine for the rest of the day. I couldn't believe that was enough to drain the battery, but after reading this...

Thanks for all the stories. Guess its time for a new one for me also.

Posts: 619 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just replaced a small 12v battery on a riding mower. I was puzzled because the battery kept a full charge on a Battery Tender (open circuit voltage reading of 12.7+). Then I put a battery load tester on it and found the internal resistance was almost 50 mΩ. Sulfated or something. It would power a radio or other low draw 12v item, but the internal resistance prevented it from delivering the high amperage needed for the starter. Solenoid and starter were both good. So I replaced the battery and all is well.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to contradict this statement. Because scanning all of hte replies I did not see one single post suggesting CLEANING THE TERMINALS AND CABLE ENDS. Which has been a major cause for failures to crank since about 1910's when starter motors first started to appear.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
My wife's 4 yr old outback wouldn't start this morning either. I had just spent maybe 5 minutes with the key on (in the garage so engine off) reconnecting her bluetooth after an Apple update. I jumped it and it was fine for the rest of the day. I couldn't believe that was enough to drain the battery, but after reading this...

Thanks for all the stories. Guess its time for a new one for me also.

If you get the everstart battery the only "issue" is the posts are on the backside of the battery so you have to "stretch" the cables to reach the post.

Also you have to reset the auto up/down feature of the front windows like I stated in my prior post. Either way, easy peasy.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:

I have to contradict this statement. Because scanning all of hte replies I did not see one single post suggesting CLEANING THE TERMINALS AND CABLE ENDS. Which has been a major cause for failures to crank since about 1910's when starter motors first started to appear.

Sorry, I should have stated that in my original post. They were clean as a whistle, and to ensure my new battery terminals stay the same, I followed the tried and true method of petroleum jelly on the posts before the reinstall.