SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hank Arron has died.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hank Arron has died. Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Braves legend Hank Aaron dies at age 86, according to family friend

Link

It was a tough day for baseball on Friday morning. According to CBS46, Hall of Famer and legendary player Henry “Hank” Aaron passed away at age 86.

Aaron played the majority of his career with the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves from 1954-1974 and finished up with the Milwaukee Brewers from 1975-76. The former home run king, Aaron was one of the most popular figures in Major League Baseball.

He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982 as a first ballot hall of famer with 97.83% of the vote.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Wow..
Oh no...
I was too young to watch him play but I always enjoyed watching his later interviews. I remember him being a class act.

My father was a big fan and when I was growing up he gave me a Hank Aaron statue that was molded with him in a batting stance and wearing a Milwaukee Braves Uniform.

Sad sad day

It's been a tough month for Braves Country, losing Phil Niekro,and then Don Sutton, and now Hank Aaron. Three Hall of Famers, on and off the field.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and I can remember our school broadcasting the World Series in 1957 when the Braves won. I was in elementary school at the time. I remember most of the starting lineup for the team I heard of Hank's death earlier today. He was a baseball monster. RIP Hank.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hammerin' Hank Aaron was always a class act.

I lived in Atlanta while he played there, and did see him play, although I was pretty young, and have no specific memory of him, individually.

Sorry to hear it, and to me, he is still the home run leader.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There was a time when MLB was great. That’s because of men like Hank Aaron.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amongst the greatest of the greats. Hard to believe he only garnered one MVP award in his illustrious career, a 25-time All-Star, good lord!

RIP Hammering Hank

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when he broke Ruth's HR record and the talk of threats against him for doing so.

Posts: 774 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I remember my parents talking about watching Hank Aaron when he played for the Milwaukee Braves. RIP Hank

Posts: 2223 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every summer while visiting my grandparents we would see a Milwaukee Braves game. I vaguely remember many seasons when Hank Aaron & Eddie Mathews both were trying to outdo each other in home runs & they were the top 2 in the National league.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4279 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Player from a different game.

He wasn't just the "Home Run King", he played for 23 years.
Had almost 3800 hits, 305 LIFETIME batting average.
Lets not forget averaging 100 rbis and 140 games played
per season for his entire career.

Definitely one of the greats.

Rip Mr Aaron

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The two teenagers who ran onto the field when Aaron was rounding the bases after breaking Ruth's record in April, 1973- one of them is an old associate of mine. Cliff Courtenay. He's the kid in the blue sweater.

He said the police took him and his buddy to the station and kept them there all night, had their parents pick them up. They weren't charged IIRC. When he told me this story thirty years ago, I asked him what he was thinking to run onto the field like that. His response was he had a typical 17 year old's brain at the time- in other words, he wasn't thinking, but merely reacting.

At the 48 second mark

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107711 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A sad day.
RIP to a truly great player that gave me great memories back in a time when sports was much different.
May God be with you Hank.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The two teenagers who ran onto the field when Aaron was rounding the bases after breaking Ruth's record in April, 1973- one of them is an old associate of mine. Cliff Courtenay. He's the kid in the blue sweater.

He said the police took him and his buddy to the station and kept them there all night, had their parents pick them up. They weren't charged IIRC. When he told me this story thirty years ago, I asked him what he was thinking to run onto the field like that. His response was he had a typical 17 year old's brain at the time- in other words, he wasn't thinking, but merely reacting.

At the 48 second mark
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QjqYThEVoSQ" width="640"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

He's an eye doctor down in Valdosta, I think. The other one passed away about 10 years ago.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Player from a different game.

He wasn't just the "Home Run King", he played for 23 years.
Had almost 3800 hits, 305 LIFETIME batting average.
Lets not forget averaging 100 rbis and 140 games played
per season for his entire career.

Definitely one of the greats.

Rip Mr Aaron

I was just about to post this ... too many people think of Hank Aaron as just a HR guy - but .305 lifetime, 3771 hits. He even stole 31 bases one season (240 lifetime). Amazing!!

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
He didn’t just hit home runs, his career batting average is .305 with an average of 37 homers a year. Just image what he would have been paid in today’s game.

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to see him in play in the first major league game I attended.

He is the the HOME RUN KING and everything since has been a travesty.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Hank Aaron, a legendary hitter from an era of legendary players! THE Home Run King! Godspeed 44! Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
One of the greats.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He is still the Home Run King.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
He is still the Home Run King.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post