SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I am trying to find the website that has the paths of both vessels plotted out based on time and position - I was having coffee with some AF guys yesterday and they mentioned that it was an odd accident and there was some evidence of intentionally turning into the path of the destroyer

MarineTraffic.com had the track of the ACX Crystal, but you have to be a subscriber to see more than 24 hours in the past. That's not necessary since I made a decent screen capture too. There will be no website plotting the track of a military vessel.

Following is an "artist's rendition" of the very feasible hypothesis-near-theory of Balzé Halzé which is on page 4.

The hypothesis which is now nearly a theory is that, for reasons unknown, the ACX Crystal collided with the USS Fitzgerald. The ACX Crystal was initially unaware that a collision had even occurred. The USS Fitzgerald contacted "command", but not the coast guard. After discovering that the ship had collided with another vessel, the ACX Crystal turned around to investigate near the point of the collision. Approximately an hour after the collision, the ACX Crystal contacted the coast guard to report the collision. Not being able to render aid, the ACX Crystal then resumed a course back to Tokyo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yeah, that seems to the 95% correct theory in my mind.

No ISIS plot, no "lets RAM em" plot.

Failure of the rules of the road. Two ships trying to occupy the same piece of water at the same time.

Regardless of the 'official' fault, the buck stops at the bridge crew / lookouts. A DDG isn't some cargo ship, it's a warship and should have complete SA over its surroundings and be not only able to see and avoid everything around it, but to defend itself.

I may sound harsh, but their incompetence killed 7 of their shipmates.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
The hypothesis which is now nearly a theory is that, for reasons unknown, the ACX Crystal collided with the USS Fitzgerald. The ACX Crystal was initially unaware that a collision had even occurred.
You could probably move that we had a collision arrow to right where the collision took place as there is no way they did not know - they were slow to do the 180, that's apparent - enough time to send someone forward to report the bow damage, which could be seen from the deck.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
does it look like the container ship's damage is very high up to where the FITZGERALD's damage is?
maybe the container ship's bulbous bow partially lifted up FITZGERALD as they connected.

As it caved in or penetrated the FITZGERALD's hull

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This lubber wants to thank Balzé and others with Navy/MM experience for the explanations. This is where I came to get experienced "consultants"' advice.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
You could probably move that we had a collision arrow to right where the collision took place as there is no way they did not know - they were slow to do the 180, that's apparent - enough time to send someone forward to report the bow damage, which could be seen from the deck.

I assume that you mean that my "We had a collision arrow" should be moved to the left, not right. Having no naval experience at all, I was just guessing by what Balzé Halzé posted on page 4. The container ship's crew would have very soon known that a collision of some sort occurred, but not with what. Whatever exactly happened will come out in detail later, but I think that my "artistic rendition" created with a 6 year old track pad at 3 AM compiled solely with information from this SIGforum topic and MarineTraffic.com best explains what generally occurred. ("best" meaning most likely to be accurate and also better than what is still on news media outlets.)

I offer my condolences to the families of the deceased in this accident.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One thing about this is the injury to the Captain, sustained in his cabin, according to the story earlier.

There is NO way a ship should get within a specified distance to your ship without the Captain being alerted, whether asleep, on the can, eating, whatever.

That alert would report the circumstances, the predicted closest point of approach, course, speed and distance, kind of ship if known, etc.

I believe that is the standing orders to the OOD on every USN ship. Whether the minimum distance is 2,000 yards (1 nautical mile) or 1,000 yards, it sure isn't 100 yards or closer, certainly while there is time to do something about it.

Maybe they OOD called the Captain, made the report and the Captain went back to sleep, but he had to have been notified, or there is the first screw up.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Fox News is still reporting that the collision occurred at 0230.

I really wish there was some definitive clarification here from the Navy as the US news outlets are obviously still going off of the Navy's statement and trusting that source above others even though, I believe, it is wrong.

The exact time of the incident is clearly not an insignificant detail.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
my perspective,

RH's collision point is exactly at the correct point. That is the mark for 130am local.

a minor issue:

The point labeled "coast guard alerted" is somewhat too far along the track.

220am local point is about halfway back towards the 180 deg turn.

I am surprised that it is not generally being reported that the collision time was earlier than 220am

U.S. Navy should announce that (assuming it is true) to stop all the speculation about why the Crystal turned around.

The Navy is probably instituting a very hard lockdown on any officials discussing the accident.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
nhtagmember,

w all due respect, that plot makes no sense.

The indicated collision point is an hour after the time the ACX Crystal called in the incident.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
To the Navy guys on the board:

How much damage can a modern ship take and still fight effectively? Or even fight at all?

The Stark took a single missile hit and almost sank. The Cole took the equivalent of a single missile hit and almost sank. The damage the Fitzgerald took seems about equivalent to a missile hit and appears to be combat ineffective as a result. British warships in the Falklands were taken completely out of action by single hits, several destroyed outright by fire or sinking. Several US Navy ships hit mines in DS/DS and were crippled.

I mean, these are warships right? Taking hits and damage yet still being able to fight would be part of their design, right?

From a non-Navy guy:

All of the other ships were hit by weapons. Weapons with explosives, rocket fuel, etc. This stuff burns and causes other stuffs to burn.

Two ships colliding generally doesn't, ( though every once in a while, can ) cause fires. Fires can destroy a ship without good damage control. Obviously, flooding does a ship no good, but major fires are just about the worst case scenario for a ship and it's crew.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
nhtagmember,

w all due respect, that plot makes no sense.

The indicated collision point is an hour after the time the ACX Crystal called in the incident.
And that picture is abnoxiously HUGE.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Tracking this one as it develops. Rumor (reportedly, from the mom of a sailor aboard, so pound of salt) is that the container ship had turned off running lights and transponder - I've been out of it too long to know if anyone relies on transponders...

Either way, CIC should have had a radar track, Captain should have been on the bridge, and if something weird is happening, go to GQ.

Waiting on more info. My classmate is about to become the J3 (operations) for Pacific Fleet - I'll check in, and see what he thinks.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waiting on more info. My classmate is about to become the J3 (operations) for Pacific Fleet - I'll check in, and see what he thinks.

For what it's worth, now that you've outed him, I would recommend not posting anything your classmate tells you. Before this is over, The Navy is going to fire more officers than Stalin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'm certain he will report the pending NBOI being assembled in support of this...
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Tracking this one as it develops. Rumor (reportedly, from the mom of a sailor aboard, so pound of salt) is that the container ship had turned off running lights and transponder - I've been out of it too long to know if anyone relies on transponders...

Either way, CIC should have had a radar track, Captain should have been on the bridge, and if something weird is happening, go to GQ.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so I'm curious...

why did the cargo ship alter course 5 times - and what possible reason could there be for completing almost 180 degree turns if not to try to line yourself up with a target you intended to hit?

the final course of the Crystal appears to be almost parallel to its original entry course to the very first slight turn to port (although now much further north)

if it were two airplanes, what would your explanation be?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

if it were two airplanes, what would your explanation be?

An intercept...

Looking at that map it looks as if the Fitzgerald saw the collision and attempted to turn away.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised if he is not part of the investigation, in which case will be in radio silence - he's too professional.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Can't put the pieces of the puzzle together and just thinking out loud again.

That's a heavy commercial traffic area it would seem. Some 400(?) ships a day in those lanes. Why wasn't the captain on the bridge to begin with, especially if the ship was expected to sail perpendicular to the flow of commercial traffic (if that was the case)?

Under the circumstances, the captain must have had supreme confidence in his watchstanders and the con for him to be in his rack.

Would be interesting to see both the bridge and CIC/CEC plotting boards ... and the captain's night orders.

Read a comment in a news report from a prior investigative board member for these kinds of incidents and the comment was that sometimes it may take a year for all the pieces to be put together for a minute by minute picture and conclusions drawn. So we may not know the whole story for some time.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post