SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76) Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I'm gong through a short woodworking course and we've come to the first table saw project. I don't have one so I'm looking into buying in the next week.

I showed the wife the SawStop video and she all but demands I get one. I must say I would not be pleased to cut off any fingers so I'm on board.

I'm looking at the contractor model for $1599 and the Job Site model at $1299. Having never owned one, I don't know which to choose or why. Space is limited, so that's a rather big factor.

A friend tells me the table saw is the center of your workshop so I would like to make an informed decision.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Sawstop cabinet saw. Fantastic!

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have the Sawstop cabinet saw. Fantastic!
I definitely don't have room for a permanent fixture. I am glad to hear that you're happy with the quality.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
My saw is too big and stable, I have too many pistols, my wife is too hot... All things that have something in common.

You would be surprised at how creative you can get tucking a cabinet saw away if it is on a decent castor system.

But, if you really are choosing between the 2 you listed, go for the contractor model. The only reason to get the jobsite version is if you are actually going to be taking it to jobs.

Congrats.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
IF I get a table saw for my new shop, it will be a SawStop for sure, and probably a cabinet saw. Stellar reviews in Fine Woodworking. Something like would have been the best without the safety feature, with it it's "tremendous".

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I must say I would not be pleased to cut off any fingers so I'm on board.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Only advice I have is to not cut off any fingers. Only because I've known a couple guys over the years who've "accomplished" that feat....

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are limited to a saw that needs to store in limited space, I would suggest you consider the Bosch Contractor saw. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has served me well for the level of projects I pursue. I chose it because it has an overall good rating for performance and it has standard guide slots so upgrading the miter fence is a fairly easy thing to do. Other fixtures can also be made or adapted as needed. You wouldn't want to rip 8/4 boards with it but I do 4/4 and 6/4 without to much difficulty. The portability of it limits its usefulness for cutting full sheets of plywood but a few roller stands can help with that.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
My saw is too big and stable, I have too many pistols, my wife is too hot... All things that have something in common.

You would be surprised at how creative you can get tucking a cabinet saw away if it is on a decent castor system.

But, if you really are choosing between the 2 you listed, go for the contractor model. The only reason to get the jobsite version is if you are actually going to be taking it to jobs.

Congrats.

The saw will either be in the basement (very small area) or the garage (filled with mowing equipment). It will most likely be moved between the two depending on the season/weather. I can move the 108 lb. job site model on its cart. The contractor model will have to stay in one place or the other as it is 280 lbs without the fence. I won't be able to move that by myself. I'd sure like to eventually get a cabinet saw but that's way down the road when I retire from mowing and empty out the garage.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Size matters always go with the bigger one, I have never used a saw stop because they are a bit small for me, but have seen the demo a few times at the woodworkers show.

here is my saw cost about 32k Smile

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Cabinet or contractor. Cab I'd want stationary. The contractor can be put on a mobile base. But I s'pose either can be on a mobile base. I have a Delta contractor saw on a mobile base. Bounced my thumb off the blade once due to inexperience. Nothing serious....but an important lesson.

My vote is for a SS cabinet on a mobile base. 2nd would be the contractor version.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Youse guys really think I should get a $4000 cabinet saw to make a couple picture frames and wall shelves? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

see those gray tiles on your picture? I may have about that much room. Big Grin

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about table saws, but I do know about table saw injuries. I have seen a bunch of people over the years with amputations or near amputations of fingers from them. I always make a point to ask about the guards, and every single one of them admitted to having removed the guards. Whatever you decide, even if its a Sawstop model (which looks like amazing technology to me), leave all the safety equipment in place and learn to use it properly with the safety equipment. Like chainsaws, they are very useful, but unforgiving, tools.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Size matters always go with the bigger one, I have never used a saw stop because they are a bit small for me, but have seen the demo a few times at the woodworkers show.

Show off. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00: Whatever you decide, even if its a Sawstop model (which looks like amazing technology to me), leave all the safety equipment in place and learn to use it properly with the safety equipment.

I agree. The blade stop technology is not an excuse to get sloppy any more than airbags are to drive carelessly. It's just one last chance to save your fingers if things go wrong.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
If you are limited to a saw that needs to store in limited space, I would suggest you consider the Bosch Contractor saw. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has served me well for the level of projects I pursue. I chose it because it has an overall good rating for performance and it has standard guide slots so upgrading the miter fence is a fairly easy thing to do. Other fixtures can also be made or adapted as needed. You wouldn't want to rip 8/4 boards with it but I do 4/4 and 6/4 without to much difficulty. The portability of it limits its usefulness for cutting full sheets of plywood but a few roller stands can help with that.

Ken

I have had a Bosch for 8 years now and it has been great for what I use it for. I am not a contractor but have used it quite a bit.The only gripe I had was the tires were always going flat,so I replaced them with solid tires from tractor supply. I like the way it folds up for storage when not in use.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:

XLT's Altendorf F-45 has built-in casters and can be moved by one person....

As to mark123's dilemma, heavy is better, even adding weight such as sandbags.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
XLT's Altendorf F-45 has built-in casters and can be moved by one person. ...
Up a set of stairs? Big Grin

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
All good advice here. I'll make a prediction, you'll buy a contractor saw and then upgrade to a cabinet saw shortly thereafter!

The difference between the two is startling. Both work, one works MUCH better and IMHO is safer to operate.

XLT, your shop is too clean. What kind of lathe do you have in there? Nice rack....on the moose.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am going to step out of line here a little bit.
If you are a hobbyist there is pretty much no need for a table saw.

Since my FIL got is Festool Track Saw he has not even touched his table or cabinet saw.
Pretty sure he is planning on getting rid of both.

I know you are working a table saw project but the Track Saw will do pretty much anything the table saw can at a much safer fashion as well.
The FIL has had some pretty nasty injuries from kick back.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I bought a cabinet saw many years ago. Still working just fine, never a problem with it.

The accuracy and stability are great and I have made a lot of cabinets, built-ins, etc over the years. In my view it was the best investment and it cost more than $1000 some 30 years ago.

Can use dado blades to cut dados among a number of other features. Not the least of which is a means to attach a shop vac to catch all that sawdust!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post