SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76) Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
This thread is a year old. Djinco resurrected it to point out that no amount of experience can prevent all accidents.

This isn't true, Mark. Particularly when it comes to fingers and table saws. While he didn't tell us exactly what happened, he mentioned he wasn't being 100% safe.

The saw will cut anything you put through it, and it's up to you to use jigs, guides, push sticks, sleds, and sacrificial pieces to keep your hands out of the saw.

While there are a number of people out there who have injured themselves on the table saw and other tools, a whole lot more have not. The majority in fact.

Safety has a number of elements besides the tool operation portion.

Such as:

Plan your cuts

Don't work tired

Don't rush

Don't "fight the tool."

Gloves and any operation close to cutting/drilling are a bad idea, and more.

No piece of wood or project is worth self harm.

If you can use a gun and understand that you shouldn't put something in front of it you don't want destroyed, many carpentry tools are no different in that regard.

If you set up a table saw or any tool where your fingers or any part of you could be too close to the blade, stop for a moment and think of a better way or better tool.

My grandfather is far from the only carpenter who died of old age with all his limbs and digits.

Accidents are not guaranteed to happen, not by a long shot. If you're going to do things where you think you _need_ a Saw Stop, well, some deeper reflection on good practices is in order.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I see where your coming from.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
If I start building stuff for sale maybe I'll need a cabinet type and maybe I'll go for the Sawstop. I already need another saw so I don't have to keep swapping out the dado.

I would suggest a router and router table for Dados instead of a second TS.

Didn't catch dates.

Hope you are still enjoying woodworking!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Safety is a brain first activity. If you can do it with guns, you can do it with tools. The key is a healthy respect, not fear, and not complacency.

Arc,
Will you please apply for safety director at a few of the places I work (mfg facilities) so I can stop doing stupid shit that doesn't make me any safer?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Back in my 'glory' days I ran a few rescues on table, radial arm saw, or circular saw injuries. Fortunately fairly minor. However the common statements were

"I was in a hurry"

"I went too fast"

"I wasn't paying attention"

"I got distracted"

All were professionals or very experienced based on the contents of their shops.

LESSON: Is a few extra seconds or minutes worth losing a piece of your anatomy?

Glad I found the thread... I'm looking for a saw now myself Smile

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post