SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m no financial wizard, but UA is a clothing product line correct? A line of products Dicks choose to sell at a price Dicks determined, right?

So how is it UA’s fault that Dicks is not performing as expected?

Shouldn’t the management dicks choose and price products that will attract customers and sell? If the dicks don’t, how can it be anyone else’s “fault”.

If I open an ice cream parlor and choose to sell bananas for $2 each, is it the bananas fault my customers weren’t satisfied?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Dicks! Mad

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:

is this a double or triple down?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

So how is it UA’s fault that Dicks is not performing as expected?

I haven't read this whole thread (and don't shop at Dick's, anyway), but I know the owner of UA was the first to bail from Trump's council of business owners last year, and that council eventually fell apart as others fled.

At the time, I was going to package up the one set of UA sports gear I have and send it to him, with an explanatory note, but I decided it wasn't worth paying the postage.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too much thread to wade through, but this is not the first time Dicks has put up a hard line on firearms. The first time they did it, I boycotted Dicks and refused to shop there again, and still do. Their current changes mean nothing; so far as I'm concerned, they were off the list to begin with, as one that does not support the constitution. I don't care what specials they might offer. I won't shop there again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after 12 pages I gotta wonder,
has anyone in this thread ever purchased a firearm at Dicks?

Does anyone actually know someone that has purchased a gun at dicks?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Screw Dicks.

Forever.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m a pretty active guy. I work out a lot. I buy excercise equipment, bikes, hunting gear, camping stuff etc. I also have three kids who all play sports.

We used to spend a ton of money at dicks.

Under Armour my ass. We haven’t spent a dime there since they went against the 2A.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Does anyone actually know someone that has purchased a gun at dicks?

I have never been into a Dicks. And there was one located from me less than 10 miles away.

I always thought the marketing guy who thought up the name should have been fired.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m no financial wizard, but UA is a clothing product line correct? A line of products Dicks choose to sell at a price Dicks determined, right?

I will admit I haven't read everything but I'm fairly certain UA is fairly strict with pricing set by retailers. UA can sell products to retailers with an understanding that the products will be sold for a certain price.

quote:
"In addition, we experienced continued significant declines in Under Armour sales as a result of their decision to expand distribution."

Looks like UA is expanding where their products are sold and that is impacting Dicks.

I very rarely by anything at Dicks because they are pretty overpriced but I have been in their stores. They always seem to have UA section close to the doors when you enter. It's always overpriced IMHO. I will buy UA stuff but only when I find it discounted when it's last years stuff.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
bendable— About 15 yrs ago I bought a couple 870s for my boys for Christmas presents. Sale price was good. That was when they were also selling Rem green box 9mm for $6a box. Won’t go there now.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I always thought the marketing guy who thought up the name should have been fired.

In our house, we started calling the place "Richard's".

I'm along the lines of E.S. Dunbar. We have six kids, four played high school sports. The second oldest is currently the varsity head coach of volleyball at her old high school.
I used to spend a good bit at "Richard's". Haven't been in one since the anti-2A statement from the company. None of my kids have been in a store since then, either. But a couple still play basketball/volleyball in pick-up leagues. So they need stuff. But not stuff from that place.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

I will admit I haven't read everything but I'm fairly certain UA is fairly strict with pricing set by retailers. UA can sell products to retailers with an understanding that the products will be sold for a certain price.

quote:
"In addition, we experienced continued significant declines in Under Armour sales as a result of their decision to expand distribution."

Looks like UA is expanding where their products are sold and that is impacting Dicks.

I very rarely by anything at Dicks because they are pretty overpriced but I have been in their stores. They always seem to have UA section close to the doors when you enter. It's always overpriced IMHO. I will buy UA stuff but only when I find it discounted when it's last years stuff.

UA had some type of contract with Dicks that limited other retailers, giving Dick's the market share,

UA decided to (supposedly) end that agreement,

so the UA sales at Dicks are down, and it was apparently a large part of their income,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The article is from August. They're not at anything "again". This is old news. Please check dates on articles before posting them.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Dick’s Sporting Goods Sales Continue to Decline After New Gun Rules

November 29, 2018 9:58 AM

Dick’s Sportings Goods sales continued to decline last quarter in the wake of their new restrictions on gun purchases.

Dick’s sales fell 3.9 percent from August to November, due largely to poor performance in their technology and hunting departments, company executives explained in a conference call with analysts on Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal reported. Sales have declined for the last five consecutive quarters.

Following the mass shooting in Parkland, Fla. in February, Dick’s announced it would no longer sell assault-style weapons and would stop selling guns and ammunition to customers under the age of 21, prompting backlash and legal challenges from gun rights activists. Walmart made similar policy changes but its executives say they have not experienced the same slow-down in sales.

Company executives said that declining gun sales have pulled down the broader outdoor sector as hunters are no longer coming to their stores in high numbers. They also cited Republican control of the White House in explaining the drop off.

“In addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak as evidenced by most recent national background check data,” Lee Belitsky, Chief Financial Officer, said on the call.

A number of prominent gun manufacturers announced in May that they would no longer sell their products to Dick’s after it was revealed that the company hired Washington, D.C. lobbyists to advocate stricter gun control regulations.

https://www.nationalreview.com...after-new-gun-rules/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rather than going and finding a current article on Dick's, it might be a good idea to acknowledge my point.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Great point!
I was simply trying to keep the Dicks discussion in one thread.

They had a conference call yesterday and acknowledged that they are hurting in the hunting department and may get out of hunting gear altogether.

A backlash from new gun policies?

During the call, Stack reported a third-quarter net sales declined 4.5 percent to $1.86 billion with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

"Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions made regarding firearms earlier this year, sales continued to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics," said Lee Belitsky, chief financial officer.

https://www.jsonline.com/story...supplies/2147807002/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Last time I went to Dicks was about 2 years ago when a member posted a great rebate they had on bulk pistola ammo. Picked up 500 rounds and here in the land of make believe, they need to log your name for every pistol ammo purchase. The guy at the counter writes down 500 rounds and says "oh, that's gonna raise some eyebrows." I said not my problem, purchased my ammo and never set foot in there again. Let them go out of business ASAP for all I care. Over the years their entire selection has gotten extremely poor even in clothing, fishing and sports departments.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The Dick's location near me wasn't doing great a year or so ago....and then Academy Sports built a new store within an 1/8th of a mile of them. I doubt that Dick's store will survive much longer.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post