SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
6 HRS? OMG, is that all underwater?

Not 6 hours all underwater, but even the unsubmerged areas are getting short on oxygen, so you have to assume it's near 6 hours with continuous supplied oxygen. That means several tank changes along the way. This thing is fraught with pitfalls.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Seeing that video....

How the hell did they ever find them in the first place?

Yeah what the hell... How do you do anything like this with zero visibility?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A long plastic tube, an internal sled, and a winch would be good. But the requirement of the plastic being rigid, flexible, and seamless for such a long distance seems like a nigh impossible combination. Insert with a sealed end that is broken open at the shelf. Or the pod idea suggested earlier.

Maybe segment the tube to the water portions and pull the kid through.

I think that there must be a super pump somewhere that can do the job timely. Pardon me while I go pray.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24: How did he run out of air when in an underwater section? Absolutely no reason for this.

Yep, yet this is number one killer of unexperienced divers going into caves.

Worse was the quote that his "buddy" found him. Where was the buddy as he burned his tank dry?

I wonder if they were diving a single tank.

Not only in caves but wrecks also. I can't count the number of times I have heard of a diver fatality inside a wreck and it turns out it's someone with a single AL80, maybe one light and no line.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Seeing that video....

Slowly using your hands, lots of patience and mapping-out as much as possible. They'd been missing for 8-days before being found, there's all sorts of nooks and crannies, chimneys and climbs that the divers had to snuff-out before coming across the team. It's as much work above water as it is below.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Seeing that video....

With a crap ton of experance and training.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
After seeing the video above, the problem with pumping is, the discharge is determined by the pipe diameter. Those passages are to tight to get diver and larger hoses to pump the water down. With ground water intrusion you have to pump constantly. You can't place a large diameter hose, lower the level of the water then remove it to allow access for divers or the kids escape.

I fear this will end badly but I'm praying for their safety.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:
Seeing that video....

Slowly using your hands, lots of patience and mapping-out as much as possible. They'd been missing for 8-days before being found, there's all sorts of nooks and crannies, chimneys and climbs that the divers had to snuff-out before coming across the team. It's as much work above water as it is below.

Their bikes were found in the cave. Footprints further in. It looks like the endpoint of the cave was well known enough to be named "Pattaya Beach."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not all the water is standing, either. Some pretty substantial currents.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's a longshot, but there is the chance of a "secret passage". Supposedly the boys could hear surface noises like dogs barking and roosters crowing, even from a half-mile underground.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any idea why they're not considering rebreathers like the SEALs use? I've only heard they're staging conventional bottles at waypoints. Rebreathers are designed for extended sessions, quite possibly the whole 6 hour trip on the same unit, plus have the advantage of not poisoning the ambient air with CO2 as they go along. A lot less staged gear as well. I don't want to believe it's the cost of these units at all.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about a surface rescue. The water exit seems fraught with massive dangers and limited success. Bore a hole and yank em out already.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Anyone have any idea why they're not considering rebreathers like the SEALs use? I've only heard they're staging conventional bottles at waypoints. Rebreathers are designed for extended sessions, quite possibly the whole 6 hour trip on the same unit, plus have the advantage of not poisoning the ambient air with CO2 as they go along. A lot less staged gear as well. I don't want to believe it's the cost of these units at all.
Some of the early search reports mentioned rebreathers but that’s just some mentions in the news.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Out of the question.
Given their complexity you need to be a very experienced diver to use a rebreather, you're not just turning on the system, pop-in the respirator and plunge-in. The chance of CO2 contamination is high and the diver needs to be versed in recognizing and treating the symptoms. Other issues like assembly of the system needs to be exact, absolutely zero margin for error, many deaths are do to poor assembly of the rebreather system; the pre-dive checks and operating protocols are more complex than an open-circuit system. The computer may or, may-not be accurate thus you need to be aware of how things are operating and contingencies should things go side-ways.

Rebreathers for the public market only recently became available. The military has been using them for quite a while, but the civilian-market had to research and engineer on their own. The units are expensive and require a technical knowledge, cave divers are the largest market for them as the two British divers who found the kids were using rebreathers.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about a surface rescue. The water exit seems fraught with massive dangers and limited success. Bore a hole and yank em out already.

As if it were that easy. Digging is no quick solution.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Drilling a hole would probably take 3 weeks +/. I don't think they have that kind of time.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

Drilling a hole would probably take 3 weeks +/. I don't think they have that kind of time.

What's the terrain like where they would start drilling? If the spot is isolated with no roads leading to it, what type of undertaking would it be like to get the equipment necessary to the drill site? There's going to be no quick or easy solution here, that much seems clear at least.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Read at your own risk Frown

Letters between the students and parents

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The more I read and learn about this operation, the more dismal it becomes.

Damn, I hope I am wrong. Frown

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

What's the terrain like where they would start drilling? If the spot is isolated with no roads leading to it, what type of undertaking would it be like to get the equipment necessary to the drill site? There's going to be no quick or easy solution here, that much seems clear at least.

I'm sure they've discussed any and all rescue scenario's, no matter how far fetched. Diving out is far down on list but appears to be the most viable.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post