SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
IMO they have to pump water out to get them - trying to drag one of those kids through the underwater maze for hours on a rebreather is a disaster in the making.

one article said they had been pumping for hours and drained ONE centimeter of water

huge caves

i agree drilling - if they can determine the right angles - may be the best option

taking untrained non-divers out through a pitch dark underwater maze like that is a very hairy proposition

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the movie.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Goosebumps

Agreed. One of the things that has made me near obsessed with this story is taken from some of the discussions about cave diving on this site. The two Brits who found them....bad mother-fuckers. If these kids have a chance, it’s because of these two....

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...-among-best-in-world

Rick Stanton and John Volanthen, among the first to reach the boys, have more than 35 years experience in extreme cave dives and rescues. They are world leaders in cave rescue, and have frequently worked together on major search and rescue operations around the globe.

They will be owed one hell of a party when this is all over. Cheers for them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...Volanthen, who brushed off reporters when entering the cave six days ago, saying only “we’ve got a job to do”, started out as a dry caver..."

This guy sounds like a true professional, brushes off reporters and continuing on with the task! Article mentioned other cave rescues in France and Norway where he and the other cave diver were specifically requested by name!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager me and a buddy got stuck in a cave and needed help getting out. We were able to climb down, but not able to climb back out. Never again will I ever go into a cave. I have a feeling these boys will be the same.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
I've been lightly following this since it started. I've got a bit of diving experience, with a partial overhead environment. A bit of S&R and spelunking experience. Mostly I have enough experience to know that these rescuers are hard core professionals and I don't wouldn't want to be there. The logistics to stage bottles and supplies to ensure they make it in AND out safely are mind boggling. Thanks for the updates.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Done very little diving. How long would it take to swim (dive) the 3.8 miles?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the story:

"If they dive, they have no choice but to follow the steps that rescuers took though tiny passageways clogged with mud and silt. That journey takes a healthy - and skilled - Navy SEAL diver about six hours."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I went with a group of dumb 20 year somethings (I include myself in the description) at college to “explore” the Nutty Putty Cave. Go to images.google.com and enter “Nutty Putty Cave” for pictures of the cave. Before we left, I put new batteries in my flashlight, took a second one and spare batteries. When we got to the bottom of the cave, every flashight but mine and our “guide’s” was dead or dying fast. But for my batteries and spare light, it would have been oh so fun getting 20 some odd people out. A few years later, a local kid going to medical school got stuck in one of the areas we were in and died. It’s now blocked off and you will never get me in a cave again unless its with a professional tour and then only in basic main areas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

From the story:

"If they dive, they have no choice but to follow the steps that rescuers took though tiny passageways clogged with mud and silt. That journey takes a healthy - and skilled - Navy SEAL diver about six hours."

I still don’t see this turning out well. Reports have more rain coming that will raise the water levels. I’m afraid this could become a disaster that includes several of the rescuers as well. I pray not!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:
Goosebumps

Agreed. One of the things that has made me near obsessed with this story is taken from some of the discussions about cave diving on this site. The two Brits who found them....bad mother-fuckers. If these kids have a chance, it’s because of these two....

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...-among-best-in-world

Rick Stanton and John Volanthen, among the first to reach the boys, have more than 35 years experience in extreme cave dives and rescues. They are world leaders in cave rescue, and have frequently worked together on major search and rescue operations around the globe.

They will be owed one hell of a party when this is all over. Cheers for them.

After the boys are rescued, men like those two shake hands, pat each other on the back and disappear into the crowd.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
First, while I appreciate the "journalist" needs to attract readers, I don't think it's 6 hrs of submersed diving. It looks like several pockets and some of them possibly not requiring diving.

Still a huge endeavor but a bit more hopeful.

Second, where's the Chilean mine rescuers? It looks like they've been mapping the cave. This would be right up their field of experience.

Posts: 7356 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

It's not all underwater. How much I have no idea though. Those kids are not diving 3.8 miles though. 3.8 miles dive would require an insane amount of staged gas even at shallow depths they are dealing with. A real-world planed cave dive of that length would use scooters.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From various news outlets it looks like they may be diving out.

posted Hide Post
I looked up that Nutty Putty. Apparently I’m not wired that way. Not a chance in hell im going in there. Prayers to these kids.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I hope they get them out.
My claustrophobia has a hard time even reading about this. I can't imagine being down there in the dark with no way out.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they will get rescued.

I'm curious on how they came up with the Navy Seal reference.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Hopefully they will get rescued.

I'm curious on how they came up with the Navy Seal reference.

I believe they are referring to Thai SEALS.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I looked up that Nutty Putty. Apparently I’m not wired that way. Not a chance in hell im going in there. Prayers to these kids.

Same here. I'm old and fat now, but even in my younger years there's no way in hell I'd have been able to handle going through those passages.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post