SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puerto Rico has voted to become the 51st State
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puerto Rico has voted to become the 51st State Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
How well did that other Island state turn out for us?

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
More US Beaches, more Taxes? We already have Miami. It's barely more American. Smile

Take it, tax it, clean it up, and run it like a big resort. Our own Cancun, Hawaii SouthEast.

Or cut it loose.

Anything else is foolish and I'm not even sure about option one. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
More US Beaches, more Taxes? We already have Miami. It's barely more American. Smile

Take it, tax it, clean it up, and run it like a big resort. Our own Cancun, Hawaii SouthEast.

Or cut it loose.

Anything else is foolish and I'm not even sure about option one. ^

Yes you are, 46&2. There's a commie/liberal/cancer upon our land, and it has already metastasized in PR. Clearly, cut 'em loose.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Two more liberal democrat senators? No thanks.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That should be up to the people (voters) of the US.

And a vote by PR which results in someone "demanding" wed let them be a state? Nope.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I loved the climate, the people, and most things about the island, but it was also frustrating as hell at times.

I'm sure that things have changed...

Nope. Still a beautiful place with wonderful, warm people, but still frustrating in some ways.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The day that vote gets taken, watch the entire population of the island empty into the CONUS.

Just so you know, they can come here at will already. There are no illegal PRs. Wink

I was down there in the late '70s and wound up liking the people, the geography and the climate. They had some very odd economic incentive laws that resulted in companies putting some at-the-time high tech component plants and pharmaceutical pill operations down there. And they had squatters and shanty towns, folks living under blown-over billboards, etc. It was a weird mix of Hawaii, Silicon Valley and Spanish Harlem.

For military strategy perspective, if for no other reason, I would rather have them as a state than independent, although not at the cost of imbalancing the Senate. Perhaps we let them in at the same time CA spins the sane bits out into a free state?

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
That should be up to the people (voters) of the US.

And a vote by PR which results in someone "demanding" wed let them be a state? Nope.

But it is up to us, isn't? Or at least our representatives. If it comes to that, call your congressman and tell him or her that PR ain't allowed into our house until they shower and put on fresh new clothes. Otherwise, take a hike.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO!! Cut them loose.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys forgot your social studies classes back in school.

We can't tell PR to screw. We own it. We've owned it for a long time.
PR residents are US citizens.
US taxpayers are already covering SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc for PR.
Over 90% of the vote was for statehood but only 25% voted.
25% turnout is not a referendum.
Congress ultimately makes the final decision.
Congress fucked PR when they ended Section 936.
Congress fucked PR when they closed the base.
Wall St fucked PR when they continued to lend money they knew could never get repaid.
Even though PR can't file Congress will be forced to act because there is too much money involved.
The PR debt problem effects people who have no idea their retirement accounts have exposure to PR bonds.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not interested, not in the least. Just go away.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Puerto Rico is a gold digging woman, looking for a sugar daddy......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
PR is just another third world shithole....

Would you want any of them as another state?

nope.

But the problem is that we ALREADY own PR...

Best thing the US could do would to sign the deed to the island back over to them; and walk away.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
They can have all the referenda (is that the plural of referendum?) that they want. They can vote all that they want. None of that will make Puerto Rico a state. There's a lot more to the process than just a vote.

As to DF's question about vacationing, I have no current knowledge, but I did spend a bit over five years in Puerto Rico: two years in the Navy, at Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in the late 1950s, and then another three years or so from early 1966 to late 1968, working for International Tel & Tel. I loved the climate, the people, and most things about the island, but it was also frustrating as hell at times.

I'm sure that things have changed, big time, but I sure would like to get back there for a vacation visit. Not sure if I'd want to go back there to live.

Rosie Roads is a textbook example of how we need to handle the rest of the place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of Borat trying to marry Pam Anderson. The difference is he actually was in lust with her.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
57 states are enough.
When you reach my age you'll find that your memory is the second thing that you lose (I forgot what the first one was), but I seem to recall that our esteemed presidential candidate said something like "We have already visited fifty-seven states. I think we have one more to go."

Do you think that the "one more to go" was Puerto Rico, maybe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, hell, no.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
From the linked story...
quote:
"The United States of America will have to obey the will of our people!" Rossello yelled to a crowd clutching U.S. flags and dancing to a tropical jingle that promoted statehood.

That's a swell way to start a negotiation.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Which is the point. I don't really know what the legal procedure would be for granting independence to what has been a territory full of US citizens. But if it was attempted, you can be sure that, before the door is closed, a lot of those citizens, who, as you correctly stated can freely move anywhere in the US, will bail out of the territory and into the US proper.

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The day that vote gets taken, watch the entire population of the island empty into the CONUS.

Just so you know, they can come here at will already. There are no illegal PRs. Wink

I was down there in the late '70s and wound up liking the people, the geography and the climate. They had some very odd economic incentive laws that resulted in companies putting some at-the-time high tech component plants and pharmaceutical pill operations down there. And they had squatters and shanty towns, folks living under blown-over billboards, etc. It was a weird mix of Hawaii, Silicon Valley and Spanish Harlem.

For military strategy perspective, if for no other reason, I would rather have them as a state than independent, although not at the cost of imbalancing the Senate. Perhaps we let them in at the same time CA spins the sane bits out into a free state?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Easy answer: No. Hell to the No.

Just what we need - another 2 permanent democrat senators to raise the bar needed to pass legislation or end cloture in the Senate. Hope the RINOs don't cave on this.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post