SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States
Page 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... 352
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with this scene? Yes, that's right. Not diverse.
Cool kicks, though.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What's wrong with this scene? Yes, that's right. Not diverse.
Cool kicks, though.

Would have been a totally different movie if officer Krupke had just greased a handful of Jets and Sharks.

But Natalie wood and Rita Morena in their prime. Wow.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
At one time cop killers got the death penalty

Perfect example of why we need to bring it back and use it

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
If tolerated, this acceptance of criminality, brutality, and violence will become the new "norm" everywhere.
And if that does indeed happen, a new norm will also develop with it....that norm being vigilantes eliminating this garbage with extreme prejudice. We're headed down a road that only leads to chaos and violence across the board.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
that norm being vigilantes eliminating this garbage with extreme prejudice.

I’m not sure I agree because when the authorities want to take effective action they are fully capable of doing so, as witnessed by the post 6 January events. I do find it an interesting coincidence, though, that you mention vigilante action about the same time an article appeared in the newspaper of my small town, and which has been in continuous publication since the 19th century. One feature of the paper in recent times has been to reprint interesting articles from the past, and a current one described the November 1879 lynching of two bad men who were taken from the jail at gunpoint and hanged.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Manslaughter? Why not first degree murder and add hate crime charges. Put a bullet in that bitches head and be done with it.

Looks like her actions fit the bill for a hate crime, with the unfortunate exception that the races need to be reversed for there to be any prosecution. /sarcasm

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This NC shooting in Elizabeth City that sounded bad initially has a little more context finally. Prosecutor said the decedant struck two deputies with his car before they shot. Judge has refused to release the body camera footage for now, District Attorney has told the state to get their nose out of his business and let him do his job basically. Refreshing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...9yg9?ocid=uxbndlbing

quote:
District Attorney Andrew Womble, who viewed the body camera videos, told the judge that he disagreed with a characterization by an attorney for Brown’s family that Brown did not try to drive away until deputies opened fire. Womble said the video shows that Brown’s car made “contact” with law enforcement twice before shots could be heard on the video.

“As it backs up, it does make contact with law enforcement officers,” he said, adding that the car stops again. “The next movement of the car is forward. It is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then that you hear shots.”

Womble said that officers shouted commands and tried to open a car door before any shots were fired.

On an unrelated and very sad note, two NC deputies were killed on the opposite end of the state from that last night. They went for a "Check welfare" call and both were shot, one remaining inside the home where the suspect was barricaded and shooting at officers:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/lo...42JF6TOHS2WBNYLDUJU/

quote:
WATAUGA COUNTY, N.C. — Two deputies were killed and three other people, including the suspected gunman, were found dead after a 13-hour standoff in Boone, the Watauga County sheriff said on Thursday.

Authorities said the two deputies died in the shooting that prompted a daylong standoff Wednesday that dragged into the night with law enforcement officers surrounding a home.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

On an unrelated and very sad note, two NC deputies were killed on the opposite end of the state from that last night. They went for a "Check welfare" call and both were shot, one remaining inside the home where the suspect was barricaded and shooting at officers:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/lo...42JF6TOHS2WBNYLDUJU/

quote:
WATAUGA COUNTY, N.C. — Two deputies were killed and three other people, including the suspected gunman, were found dead after a 13-hour standoff in Boone, the Watauga County sheriff said on Thursday.

Authorities said the two deputies died in the shooting that prompted a daylong standoff Wednesday that dragged into the night with law enforcement officers surrounding a home.

Apparently, if the backstory that I heard is true, the shooter had just killed his parents, and then he killed the officers when they performed the welfare check.

Pretty awful scene.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems clear to me that all the crap now ongoing in our country is pushing people who were already unstable into violence. Stay safe, LEOs!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D.C. attorney general offers to seal records of more than 200 arrested during George Floyd protests

https://justthenews.com/govern..._campaign=newsletter

The office of D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine said that it would offer to seal the arrest records of roughly 220 people detained for violating curfew orders in June during protests over the police killing of George Floyd.

Racine, a Democrat, in his announcement Thursday, said his office would send letters about the offer to those arrested in June 2020 in Washington, D.C., according to The Washington Post.

Those who receive the letter already know they are not being prosecuted, and an affirmative response to the offer will result in the office filing a motion to seal the person's records.

The attorney general's office prosecuted only five people. Eighty others were arrested in the protests but are ineligible for the offer because they may have had previous arrest records.

"We are exercising our discretion not to prosecute you based upon an evaluation of the specific facts of your case and your criminal history, or lack thereof," reads a sample letter, the newspaper reports. "Please note that should you be rearrested for this offense – or any other offense – OAG may decide to prosecute you for that offense and/or oppose the sealing of your arrest."

A spokesperson for the attorney general said the office wanted to help make the process easier for those arrested to seal their records.

The spokesperson also said the office declined to prosecute the "vast majority" of protesters who were arrested in early June 2020 for violating the mayor’s curfew order "while peacefully protesting in the District."

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Interesting. So, when will the D.C. AG be offering the same deal to the conservative Patriots who protested at the Capitol and were arrested? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A young college student held his own and spoke the plain truth.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/20...hes-on-leave-n387166

Braden Ellis is a student studying business at a community college in southern California. Ellis gave a presentation for a required communications class in which he criticized cancel culture and argued that police should be seen as heroes

After the presentation, the adjunct professor who was running the communications class started an argument with Ellis, asking him what he was trying to say about police. The whole argument, which was took place on Zoom, was recorded

The professor starts with the claim that policing arose from fugitive slave patrols. She says it’s “the whole reason we have police departments in the first place.”

When Ellis suggested police are heroes she replied, “All of them?” Ellis says no to that but argues that the majority are doing their best to serve the community.

The professor actually brings it back around to Paw Patrol. “You’re saying police officers should be revered, viewed as heroes? They belong on TV shows with children?” she said.

Ellis once again says they should because they come to help people in need. And this is the point where the professor says she wouldn’t call the police even if her life were being threatened by someone else. “My life’s in more danger in their presence,” she said. At that point, the professor is clearly agitated and just tries to wrap up the discussion as quickly as possible.

The professor, who hasn’t been named, has now taken a leave of absence for the remainder of the semester, so she won’t be there when Ellis returns to class Monday.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ripley, I laughed my balls off after a long week!

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oet6ORJsHX4" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
She will plea down to manslaughter with 10-15 years. Back on the street killing people before she turns 50.

She gets the right jury she might walk. A woke anti cop jury in Queens, BLM, ACAB believers NG all day long.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
SDY ^^^this professor is obviously lacking the googler...where even the left leaning SNOPES says “ In 1838, the city of Boston established the first American police force, followed by New York City in 1845, Albany, NY and Chicago in 1851, New Orleans and Cincinnati in 1853, Philadelphia in 1855, and Newark, NJ and Baltimore in 1857 (Harring 1983, Lundman 1980; Lynch 1984). By the 1880s all major U.S. cities had municipal police forces in place.” and doesn’t mention slaves .....ummmmmm maybe said professor needs to STFU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
SDY ^^^this professor is obviously lacing the googler...where even the left leaning SNOPES says “ In 1838, the city of Boston established the first American police force, followed by New York City in 1845, Albany, NY and Chicago in 1851, New Orleans and Cincinnati in 1853, Philadelphia in 1855, and Newark, NJ and Baltimore in 1857 (Harring 1983, Lundman 1980; Lynch 1984). By the 1880s all major U.S. cities had municipal police forces in place.” and doesn’t mention slaves .....ummmmmm maybe said professor needs to STFU

The "Slave Patrols" origin has been re-written in many sources, it seems. My own department included. It's rather stupid.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Riot season has been a bust so far. I don't watch sports anymore so riot season has been my go to. They need to spice it up.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does a 20 something become a college professor? She's too young to have much knowledge about anything other than what HER college professors indoctrinated her with and here she is trying to indoctrinate another person with her ridiculous and incorrect viewpoint of the police. She's too young and stupid to even realize she doesn't even know what she doesn't know nor is she honest enough to admit that she could be wrong. I'll guarantee you one thing though, She is one of the goofs we see on television dressed in black wearing a black mask trying to burn down police stations or courthouses across this country such as what we see in Seattle or Portland on a daily basis.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
How does a 20 something become a college professor? She's too young to have much knowledge about anything other than what HER college professors indoctrinated her with and here she is trying to indoctrinate another person with her ridiculous and incorrect viewpoint of the police. She's too young and stupid to even realize she doesn't even know what she doesn't know nor is she honest enough to admit that she could be wrong. I'll guarantee you one thing though, She is one of the goofs we see on television dressed in black wearing a black mask trying to burn down police stations or courthouses across this country such as what we see in Seattle or Portland on a daily basis.

To be fair, she's an adjunct. That means she's essentially a wage slave for the university. She works for a pittance per class and likely gets no benefits. If you do the math, she might well make the equivalent of minimum wage. She also only teaches the lowest level gen-ed classes.

She also, as seems to be indicated that she didn't come back the next day, has no job protections from tenure.

But, to your question, yeah, mid- to late 20s is not at all unusual for this kind of job. Assuming she has a PhD (probably a 4-5 year program) and went straight from undergrad to grad school, she should be around 25-26.

That doesn't address your larger question, but her age is not unusual for the position.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post