SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Michigan had the #1 ranked D in College Football. Operative word there is "had".

I wonder if that D would be ranked #1 playing in the SEC? Georgia one week, Auburn another, Florida, Kentucky......Bama.....LSU....

Go GATORS! How's Michigan been against top 10 teams?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Michigan had the #1 ranked D in College Football. Operative word there is "had".

I wonder if that D would be ranked #1 playing in the SEC? Georgia one week, Auburn another, Florida, Kentucky......Bama.....LSU....

Who's top 10? Yours? Mine? The matrix that the SEC created for the BCS?

We will never know. A flawed rating system, geography, weather, and the fact that Football teams are built differently in different conferences, influences recruiting and style of play. All objectivity ends with the conference championship games. After that, it's all just entertainment.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man. I thought Purdue and Michigan would at least make a game of it. Cripes.

Since we like to talk college football and as I have said before I know it is a Big 10 thread but, did anyone watch the Iowa State/Washington State game last night. Disappointed to say the least. But kept it within 2.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
And apparently that SEC created matrix over-rated some BIG teams

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to worry. Penn State will bring it home.
Should be a decent game though.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Penn State will bring it home.

Yeah, the PSU coach was touting how badass their QB and Team was...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas@Last:
quote:

Who's top 10? Yours? Mine? The matrix that the SEC created for the BCS?

We will never know. A flawed rating system, geography, weather, and the fact that Football teams are built differently in different conferences, influences recruiting and style of play. All objectivity ends with the conference championship games. After that, it's all just entertainment.

Dude, Michigan got smoked because they were overrated. You’re theory on bias is reaching....bad. Bias plays both ways. Don’t try and pretend it only applies when it’s in your favor.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

After NFL defections, suspensions, nearly a month off, and no common opponents, do you really think anyone can seriously know how the games will turn out?

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
And apparently that SEC created matrix over-rated some BIG teams

Ok, I give up. . .You can't tell that I was totally joking? Have you seen my posts? have you seen my picks? I even said right before some of my most ridiculous comments that I was a non-objective homer.
You can't admit it though, can you? The same boys who were saying you can't root for a conference, look atchya.

You SEC boys are so easily triggered. Snowflakes for sure. So predictable, throw a minnow in the water and the sharks come out.

I don't wish hardship on anyone but you folks seriously need to get some perspective.

Enjoy the rest of the games.

Thanks tatortodd! I enjoy your stuff.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

We’ll never know as UofM’s front seven was missing 2 guys who sat out for NFL draft reasons. One of them was the Big 10s defensive player of the year. They’re not a top rated defense without them.

On offense, they’re handicapped enough by Harbaugh’s play calling and all season long UofM’s offense couldn’t move the ball without Higdon at RB. Higdon sat out today for NFL reasons and their offense looked like crap.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
After NFL defections, suspensions, nearly a month off, and no common opponents, do you really think anyone can seriously know how the games will turn out?
I should have been clear that I was referencing the PSU coach yapping that during week 2 or 3 of the season.

"Oh, this kid is the best" / "Oh, everyone should watch this kid because he's doing it right" / blah-blah-blah, right up until they got smoked checked a couple of times, then you don't hear a peep from him.

Similar to the WV coach talking about his QB making a "Heisman run".

posted Hide Post
Harbaugh out coached again. What is he 1 & 9 vs top 10 teams?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Enjoyed Syracuse taking the wood to WV yet again yesterday (Camping World Bowl). Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Enjoyed Syracuse taking the wood to WV yet again yesterday (Camping World Bowl). Smile

You weren't alone in that enjoyment.

I'm a chaos college football fan, especially when coaches / players get too big for their britches. Nothing but respect for those that perform and remain humble, ala Clemson / Alabama / Georgia and others.

Looks like ND was over-rated; I'm sure Georgia or Ohio would have put on a better performance than ND.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...We’ll never know as UofM’s front seven was missing 2 guys who sat out for NFL draft reasons. ..

Interesting, since Clemson lost 3 of their top D guys and it didnt seem to effect them?

What's next, the sun was in Michigan's eyes the whole game? Fact is, regardless of who Michigan puts on the field, they cant beat top 10 teams under Harbaugh.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting, since Clemson lost 3 of their top D guys and it didnt seem to effect them?
Apples and oranges. Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the playoffs as I discussed on page 14 which you wouldn't know because you just came here today to troll.
quote:
Fact is, regardless of who Michigan puts on the field, they cant beat top 10 teams under Harbaugh.
Agreed, but we've been discussing that off and on since pre-season (discussed a lot after tOSU whipped them) and the best quote about it was by one of their alumni on Aug 25th (again, you wouldn't know because you just came here today to troll).
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Michigan never fails to disappoint, and I'm sure they will come through again.
Another thing, you wouldn't know is that most seasons I get complaints in the Big Ten thread because I'm too hard on them (e.g. call them the Wal-mart Wolverines, make jokes about UofM alumni asking if I want to supersize my order, etc). In other words, I'm not a UofM fanboy but the bowl season trolling every year is really tiresome. Your behavior in this thread is 180 degrees the opposite of the Auburn fans yesterday. Not a single comment prior to the game or during the game, and your comments after the game concluded did not include a single kudo to Florida players or coaches. Instead, all you've done is come after the game and disparage UofM, Harbaugh, and the Big Ten. Do you even like Florida football or do you just like trolling?

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Wrap-up Dec 29th Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl:
#10 Florida at #7 UofM in Atlanta at 11:00 CT on ESPN. Hats off to the Gators for routing the Wolverines. Their D had intense pressure on Patterson with 5 sacks which lead to throwing two picks (including a pick 6) and one fumble. Florida's o-line dominated UofM's front 7 which lead to 257 yards rushing and 3 different guys having rushing TDs.

Kudos:
  • Winovich for playing despite his impending NFL future and having a sack and 3 tackles for loss.
  • Peoples-Jones had a nice day with 8 catches for 71 yards including a 9 yard TD. If they can cultivate a QB, I think he'll be a big-time play maker next season

•  
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

This is why the entire bowl season sucks. Most of the players really have nothing to play for, or worse, don’t want to play. None of the bowls mean anything except a couple. How many bowls had less than half the stadium filled?
    And then only by family and friends of the players. Hell, I’m pining for the good old days when there were about 20 bowls most of them with interesting matchups and the outcome for #1 was always in doubt, and I never thought I’d say that! But unless they incorporate an expanded playoff into the bowl system we’re gonna continue to dwell in mediocrity. We got damn near 50 freakin bowls now. Hell, who doesn’t make it in?

Oh, and the PSU quarterback, McSorley, he is that good. Maybe won’t make it in the pros cause of size but he’s been a real treat to watch the past few years.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of reloader-1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    Originally posted by reloader-1:
    Miami alum here, a high school girl’s school could beat Miami easily at this point with Mark Richt. The only reason he hasn’t been fired is because of an asinine buyout when we extended his contract.

That’s harsh. He was ACC Coach of the Year in 2017 and you think a steep buyout keeps him from being fired because he went 7-5?

BTW, I was referring to wins by both Minnesota and Wisconsin

I know this is the B10 thread, but just wanted to follow this up. Mark Richt retired today...

Miami is a private school, so no info has to be released regarding the terms of the resignation.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    December 31st Bowls:
  • MSU at Oregon in the Redbox Bowl at 2:00 CT in Santa Clara, CA, on Fox. Depending on which odds service you believe the Ducks are 1.5 to 2.5 point favorites (I'm using 2.5 points). On paper, the Ducks are the much better offensive team and the Sparties are the much better defensive team. MSU's rush defense is lights out and averaged only allowing 81.3 yards per game. However, the Ducks are a roughly 60% pass / 40% rush team and Sparties have had trouble with passing teams. The only common opponent is AZ State and the Sparties barely lost in week 2 and the Ducks barely won in week 12. It sounds like Lewerke's shoulder is healed so hopefully the offense won't be so anemic. I'm going with the Sparties to pull off the upset.
  • #22 NWU at #17 Utah in the Holiday Bowl at 6:00 CT in San Diego, CA, on FS1. Utah is unanimously 7 point favorites over the Wildcats. They have zero common opponents and I frankly know diddly squat about Utah's football team. The Sparties are 3-3 against Top 25 teams and the Utes are 1-2 vs Top 25 teams. On paper, Utah has both the better offense and defense. Here is a cool stat - Nine Bowl teams have graduation success rates of at least 90%, and the Holiday Bowl is the only game featuring two such teams (Northwestern 99% & Utah 95%).

•