SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Great finish but I would not have went for 2.

The book says you go for the win on the road, at home you go for the tie and stretch it out.

I agree with you but you can't blame him, much. Staying that close in a game with OSU was more stressful than getting blown out.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Neither Ohio State nor Michigan looked all that great today-- though their games were incredibly exciting. I think that's because all week Michigan was thinking about Ohio State, and Ohio State was thinking about Michigan.

Next week they go head to head. It should be a hell of a game.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Damn! Buckeyes get lucky. I am not sure I have see so many mistakes is one game in a long time. The defense needs to figure out how to stay in position... That MD running back has some speed.

My non football engaged wife was even on the edge of her seat instead of buried in her phone.

Haskins had a pretty good day on his return home.

Next week should be interesting. Go Bucks.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 12 Wrap-up:
Yesterday is had some very unexpectedly close games and outcomes:
  • #10 tOSU @ MD at 11:00 on ABC - Was correct on winner, but wrong on spread. The Terps drew first blood with a TD 50 seconds into the game, lead 17-3 at end of 1st, lead at 24-17 half-time, lead 3l-24 at end of 3rd. The Buckeyes tied it up with 40 seconds left in the 4th, and the game went into OT. In OT, the Buckeyes scored both a TD and extra point, and when it was MD's turn they scored a TD but failed to convert a 2 pt which resulted in the Buckeyes winning. The Terps won the turnover battle with 0 INT vs tOSU's 1 INT (pick 6), and lost 1 fumble vs tOSU's 2 (including 1 at goal line). The Buckeyes played horrible rush defense and to put the 339 rushing yards and 5 rushing TDs into perspective here is what good rush defenses did to the Terps: MSU held them to 26 yards rushing and 0 TDs, Hawkeyes held them to 68 yards rushing and 0 TDs, and UofM held them to 147 yards rushing and 2 TDs. IU's shitty defense gave up less TDs when they allowed the Terps 353 yards rushing and 2 TDs. Buckeye fans should be very nervous going into this weeks game vs UofM.
  • #14 PSU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on BTN - I was correct that PSU won without covering. PSU lead wire to wire with 1st quarter ending 3-0, going into half-time at 13-0, and 3rd quarter ending 13-0, and game ending 20-7. PSU won, but it was a little sloppy with 1 INT and losing 2 fumbles, PSU didn't run well (i.e. nobody got a 100 yards), and just a ho-hum passing performance. The highlights were o-line didn't give up a sack and defense played well.
  • #22 NWU @ MN at 11:00 on BTN - I was correct on the Big Ten West champs pulling off the upset and therefore covering. NWU was ahead wire to wire. Hats off to the Wildcats for not throwing an INT or fumbling in cold, wintery conditions. The same cannot be said of the young Gophers team who threw 2 TDs and fumbled once. The Wildcats pass D also put good pressure on the young Gopher QB which is good since they had 3 defensive back starters out with injuries.
  • MSU @ NE at 11:00 on Fox - I was correct on the Cornhuskers winning and covering. Shitty, wintery weather and good defense combined for what looked like a boring game on the highlights. NE managed more yards rushing than most teams (103 vs Sparty's average 75.5), Sparties rushing woes continued, and neither team mounted much of a passing attack.
  • IA @ IL at 2:30 on BTN - As expected the Hawkeyes won and easily covered, the Illini defense looked like they were playing on roller skates, and the Hawkeyes put a lot of points on the board. The Hawkeyes also won the turnover battle with 1 INT vs 3, and 0 fumbles vs 1.
  • WI @ Purdue at 2:30 on BTN - I was wrong on both winner and spread. Frankly, I'm very disappointed the Boilermakers blew a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter and let the game go into OT. They played well in OT, but lost in 3rd OT with only scoring a field goal vs the Badger's TD. Hard to believe you could lose when Blough completes 31 passes for 386 yards, 4 passing TDs, and 0 INTs AND Rondell Moore had 114 yards receiving, 2 receiving TDs, 27 yards rushing, and 33 yards in kick returns.. The difference was truly defense and the Boilermakers failed to stop the run, once again put zero pressure on the QB, and let a very inexperienced QB get his first win. Pretty shocking to go from competing for Big Ten West champion when they were 4-3 to needing to win on the road at arch-rival IU to be be bowl eligible.
  • IU @ #4 UofM at 3:00 on FS1 - I was correct in UofM winning, but wrong on them covering and UofM's defense scoring more than IU's offense. Hats off to IU for giving the Wolverines a tough game, leading 7-3 at end of 1st, and leading 17-15 at half-time. The Wolverines made some nice half-time adjustments and managed to outscore IU 15-3 in the 2nd half. UofM's red zone offense was very disappointing with only 1 TD despite being in the red zone 8 times. UofM star defensive end, Chase Winovich, left the game midway through the third quarter after appearing to hurt his left shoulder, but after the game Harbaugh said Winovich's X-rays and CAT scans were negative. Hope he can play full-speed next week against tOSU.

Kudos:
  • tOSU's QB Haskins. On 28 completions he had 405 yards passing, 3 passing TDs (1 INT), 59 yards rushing, and 3 rushing TDs. On a negative note, he did have a fumble at a very inopportune time.
  • tOSU's RB Dobbins. On 37 carries he had 203 yards rushing, 1 TD, and 1 reception. On a negative note, did have a fumble on the goal line that resulted in a touchback.
  • Trace McSorely is now tied with Chuck Long for most wins as starting QB
  • NWU's D. Only gave up 197 yards and 1 passing TD, forced 2 INTs, only have up 109 yards rushing and 1 rushing TD, caused a fumble, and had 4 sacks.
  • NE freshman kicker had never kicked in the snow before, and the youngster managed to score all of the Cornhusker's points (3 field goals) and had zero misses.
  • IA QB Stanley. He threw for 178 yards and 3 TDs with 13 completions.
  • IA's RB Sargent. On 17 carries he rushed for 121 yards, 2 TDs, and caught a pass.
  • IA's defense. Pitched a shutout, only gave up 82 yards passing, only gave up 138 yards rushing, caused 4 turnovers, and had 3 sacks.
  • WI QB Coan. The youngster earned his first win as a starter and was a solid 16 completions for 160 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and 0 fumbles.
  • WI's RB Taylor. The nation's leading rusher had his best game ever and carried the team with 33 rushes for 321 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 fumbles.
  • UofM's RB Higdon. On 16 carries he had 101 yards and 1 rushing TDs. He also caught a pass.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The Buckeyes played horrible rush defense and to put the 339 rushing yards and 5 rushing TDs into perspective here is what good rush defenses did to the Terps: MSU held them to 26 yards rushing and 0 TDs, Hawkeyes held them to 68 yards rushing and 0 TDs, and UofM held them to 147 yards rushing and 2 TDs. IU's shitty defense gave up less TDs when they allowed the Terps 353 yards rushing and 2 TDs. Buckeye fans should be very nervous going into this weeks game vs UofM.

I completely agree that tOSU's defense was really weak. But U of M's offense is sporadic. Sometimes it's hitting on all the cylinders, and sometimes it sputters. 6 field goals! They kept getting into the Red Zone and petering out-- with IU's "shitty defense." Patterson can run, and inside the 20 especially, Michigan needs pass/run options. I think Michigan will win, even in the Horseshoe, and the rivalry could use the juice, it has been so lopsided for so long.

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    It's rivalry week in the Big Ten so I thought I would start the week off with a classic rivalry video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/liNBAvdfakg

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Well, I personally am glad that you were incorrect on the production for the Boilermakers/Badgers game.

Although, I thought Purdue would win.
    WI made a helluva comeback to take it to OT. Thought they blew it on the muffed punt reception.

As much as I am not a Hornibrook fan, I’ve gotta say, the back-up Coan had, up until this game, made Hornibrook look like an MVP.

Taylor impressed me with the huge yardage, and was the main reason they got the W in OT.

Van Ginkel really impressed me with his play as well...especially the football punch, causing the touchback.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Another UofM tOSU rivalry video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-U3T6UPdmkk

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 13 (Rivalry Weekend) - Friday Edition
    One game on Friday and rest of games on Saturday so I'm going to do two separate posts (all times Central Time):
  • Nebraska @ Iowa at 11:00 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe the Hawkeyes are 8 to 9.5 point favorites (I'll use 8.5). BTN is promoting like crazy to turn this into a rivalry and I think in the future it could become one, but just not enough history yet to have all of the components of a rivalry. Both offenses are pretty well matched on passing yarding and ppg, but the Cornhuskers have the edge on rushing yardage. On defense, the Hawkeyes have a large edge (#2 in Big Ten) but NE's stats are skewed by the first 6 weeks of the season which is much different than the last 5 weeks where they're averaging giving up 22.8 ppg (overall season is 31.3). I'm going with the Hawkeyes winning but not covering.

•  
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Totally forgot about today’s game.

Thanks for the reminder!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Ohio State has a slightly better offense, and Michigan has a much better defense. So, I'm thinking Michigan. I don't think either team scores a lot of points. Final score will be something like Michigan 20, Ohio State 17.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I'd like to see UofM win for two reasons:
  • gives the Big Ten the best shot at having a team in play-offs. Too many tOSU haters that will hold Purdue loss against them as well as some of their skaky wins.
  • revitalizes the rivalry which Michigan has lost 13 of the last 14 meetings between the archrivals. Its only win in the series during that stretch came in 2011

Although, I keep going back to a pre-season post:
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    Michigan never fails to disappoint, and I'm sure they will come through again.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Good game! Tied at 28 with 3 seconds left.

Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, it was

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Right. So, it might be Ohio State 20, Michigan 17. Big Grin

And I agree: it's a historic rivalry that is running out of excitement because Michigan has failed to win. A Michigan win, should it happen, would go a long way in restoring excitement.

Moving cash
    for money
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I'd like to see UofM win for two reasons:
  • gives the Big Ten the best shot at having a team in play-offs. Too many tOSU haters that will hold Purdue loss against them as well as some of their skaky wins.
  • revitalizes the rivalry which Michigan has lost 13 of the last 14 meetings between the archrivals. Its only win in the series during that stretch came in 2011

quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    Michigan never fails to disappoint, and I'm sure they will come through again.

• I have kept quiet this season but I am hoping the Wolverines do not disappoint us until they meet Alabama.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
    Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
    Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 13 Wrap-up - Friday Edition
  • Nebraska @ Iowa at 11:00 on Fox - I was correct on the Hawkeyes winning but not covering. It was a good first half and a very exciting 4th quarter, but I really thought Iowa was going to put them away in the 3rd quarter. Hawkeyes finish the season 8-4 and are likely bound for a warm-weather bowl game. Nebraska finished the season 4-8, but they sure look like they have a bright future with Coach Frost, Freshman QB Martinez, WR Spielman, and an improved defense.

Friday Kudos:
  • IA placekicker Recinos who made 4 extra points, but most importantly the game winning 41 yard FG as the clock expired.
  • IA RB Sargent. He had 26 carries for 173 yards and 1 TD as well as 3 receptions.
  • IA QB Stanley. Did not have a flashy game at 16 completions for 152 yards, but he did throw for 2 TDs and had zero fumbles and zero INTs.
  • IA Offensive line. The hogs paved the way for 266 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs, and gave up zero sacks which allowed Stanley time for 2 passing TDs with 0 INTs.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 13 - Saturday Edition:
    4 out of the 6 Saturday games are rivalry games and one is the greatest rivalry in CFB and has Big Ten Championship and possibly CFB play-off implications (all times Central time):
  • #4 UofM @ #10 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are favored by 4 to 5 (I'm using 4.5). UofM has a much better defense, tOSU has much better pass offense, and UofM has a better rush offense. Out of the common opponents it's only a comparison of margin of victory so 2 games were essentially the same (MSU & Rutgers) and 4 games were different (UofM whipped Nebraska but tOSU squeeked by, UofM whipped MD but tOSU squeeked by, UofM whipped PSU but tOSU squeeked by, tOSU whipped IU but UofM won by 11). It's supposed to be 50 and rainy so that plays into the better running team's hand (i.e. UofM). I'm going with the Wolverines to win and cover.
  • Purdue @ IU at 11:00 on ESPN2 - Depending on which odds service you believe my Boilermakers are favored by 3.5 to 4 (I'm using 3.5). It's best to start with friends don't let friends go to IU and the only sign of intelligent life in Bloomington is the street sign that reads West Lafayette is 98 miles. Both teams are 5-6 so the winner likely goes to a bowl game and the loser goes home. Purdue has the better pass offense, they are equal in terms of rushing offense, and Purdue has the better defense. As far as common opponents both lost to MN (Purdue got whipped and IU lost by 7), Purdue beat IA but IU got whipped, both lost to MSU by similar amounts, Purdue beat tOSU but IU got whipped. IU is 3-3 at home, and Purdue is 2-2 on the road. It's supposed to be 54 and raining which will hurt Purdue's pass happy offense more, but I'm still going with Purdue to win and cover.
  • MD @ #12 PSU at 2:30 on ABC - Depending on which odds service you believe the Nittany Lions are favored by 13 to 13.5 (I'm using 13.5). MD needs to win to be bowl eligible and a PSU win likely gets them a beter bowl game. PSU has the better pass offense, MD has the better rush offense, and PSU has the better defense. It's supposed to be 37 and raining so that will hurt PSU more. The key to beating MD is to shutdown their run attack like MSU an IA did, but they're dangerous if you let 'em run loose like tOSU did. PSU wins but fails to cover.
  • IL @ #19 NWU at 2:30 on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe the Wildcats are favored by 16.5 to 17 (I'm using 16.5). It supposed to be 50 and raining which will be harder on the Illini's defense who plays like they're on rollerskates on firm ground. NWU wins and covers.
  • MN @ WI at 2:30 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are favored by 10 to 11 (I'm using 10.5). The Gophers need to win to be bowl eligible and the Badgers need to win to get a better bowl game. The weather should be clear and 44. Not going to over analyze this one, and predict the Badgers win and cover and just for fun predict Taylor will get more than the 131 yards needed to have a 2000 yard season.
  • Rutgers @ MSU at 3:00 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe the Sparties are favored by 25.5 to 27 (I'm using 25.5). It's supposed to be 46 and raining which hurts MSU worse since their only chance of beating the spread is to pass. MSU wins but fails to cover and just for fun MSU's D becomes the first one to shutout Rutgers in 2018.

EDIT: Fixed the headline

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
  • MN @ WI at 2:30 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe the Badgers are favored by 10 to 11 (I'm using 10.5). The Gophers need to win to be bowl eligible and the Badgers need to win to get a better bowl game. The weather should be clear and 44. Not going to over analyze this one, and predict the Badgers win and cover and just for fun predict Taylor will get more than the 131 yards needed to have a 2000 yard season.

• I'll be at this game, on the 50 yard line. With my kids. 5, 7, 9, and 11 years old. Did I mention my username?!? Smile

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Outnumbered:
    quote:

• I'll be at this game, on the 50 yard line. With my kids. 5, 7, 9, and 11 years old. Did I mention my username?!? Smile

Have some fun at the end of the 3rd quarter Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kVgY2n06328