SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bidet Toilet Seats.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bidet Toilet Seats..... Login/Join 
Picture of Unishot
posted
So we are installing new toilets in two of our bathrooms. Based on the recommendations here, and after a bit of research, we are going with Toto branded ones.
Of course, the wife is involved with any home/nest decision, especially if it affects her in any way. She has decided that a soft/slow-close lid on her chosen one-piece (expensive) toilet is not enough. She has run across these bidet toilet seats on the internet and has decided she/we must step into (or is it sit into?) 21st century luxury.

I have never used one in all of my 53 years on the planet. I understand much of the world does, however, and find it rather surprising they are not more widely used in the USA.

I will give her credit, she is not wanting the most high-end/expensive one. The one she is looking at and trying to gain my approval on is considered mid-range and goes for about $400. Of course, she will want two of them. One for our bathroom, and one for the guest bathroom. Plus, I will have to have an electrician come out and install an electrical outlet near the toilet at both locations. Another expense.

So enlighten me. Educate me. Are they a good thing? Are they worth it? Anything I should be aware of or look out for? (Insert humor here) Smile

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Much cheaper

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I can't afford them. But I use them when I travel to Japan. Toto is the go-to brand.

I like the heated seat feature in the winter. The washer feature is nice but don't use it all the time.

Not sure what maintenance is like nor product life.

Worth is in the eyes of the beholder. Nice to have but certainly not a necessity.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
So we are installing new toilets in two of our bathrooms. Based on the recommendations here, and after a bit of research, we are going with Toto branded ones.
Of course, the wife is involved with any home/nest decision, especially if it affects her in any way. She has decided that a soft/slow-close lid on her chosen one-piece (expensive) toilet is not enough. She has run across these bidet toilet seats on the internet and has decided she/we must step into (or is it sit into?) 21st century luxury.

I have never used one in all of my 53 years on the planet. I understand much of the world does, however, and find it rather surprising they are not more widely used in the USA.

I will give her credit, she is not wanting the most high-end/expensive one. The one she is looking at and trying to gain my approval on is considered mid-range and goes for about $400. Of course, she will want two of them. One for our bathroom, and one for the guest bathroom. Plus, I will have to have an electrician come out and install an electrical outlet near the toilet at both locations. Another expense.

So enlighten me. Educate me. Are they a good thing? Are they worth it? Anything I should be aware of or look out for? (Insert humor here) Smile

My SWMBO also wanted one - we have the Coco brand. She swears by it, and our daughters like and use it as well.

There are times that the butt wash feature is useful - but no more details needed, that should speak for itself.

like many home decisions, provided you can afford it, the correct answer is "yes dear"

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am just an ugly American on this issue in that I don't get it. I am happy to wash my ass in the shower. I think with the frequency that we bathe in the US, for the most part, there is really is no need for a thorough ass wash between showers.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
i'm not sitting on any toilet connected to electrical current

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I usually take a shit before I shower, so I'm GTG on the water jet up the keester. I have installed outlets for these things before, some are pretty advanced. Heated, music, pressure washer, auto up/down on the lid.

Beware you may need to run a dedicated circuit to service the toilet, read the manufactures instructions before you buy one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I am just an ugly American on this issue in that I don't get it. I am happy to wash my ass in the shower. I think with the frequency that we bathe in the US, for the most part, there is really is no need for a thorough ass wash between showers.

My stance too. Have lived 60 years with no dirty butt issues since I was out of diapers.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
i'm not sitting on any toilet connected to electrical current

I'm shocked!! Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
The way I heard it explained, if say, your finger pops through the TP and you get do-do on your finger, are you comfortable just wiping it with dry paper products before going on with your day? Or are you washing the appendage? Why should the bung hole be any different? My next toilet will have a spritzer.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Many of the hotels I stay in in Asia come equipped with them.

Once you get over the initial "Whoa!" of a water-pik on your backside, they work very well, and if you don't mind a trip into TMI territory, they are really good for keeping the cleanliness going if you poop more than once a day. Add to that a certain extra comfort when you are dealing with the previous days enchilada dinner with the diablo sauce.

The heated seats are really, really nice as well.

I'll get one installed in the house once other projects are accomplished.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The Toto seats usually last 6-8 years before replacement. A separate bidet works far better at cleaning but no blow dry feature. To retrofit a bidet is much much more expensive than a wash n wax seat.
Get one you will learn to appreciate it. I've had a bidet 35 years, got a urinal in my man cave.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
The way I heard it explained, if say, your finger pops through the TP and you get do-do on your finger, are you comfortable just wiping it with dry paper products before going on with your day? Or are you washing the appendage? Why should the bung hole be any different? My next toilet will have a spritzer.

I don't know how your day typically plays out but I generally keep my "bung hole" covered up with an additional layer of clothes when not doing it's job. My hands meanwhile are touching my food, my phone, my well....everything else all day long. I don't generally have skid marks in my shorts at the end of the day so I am pretty happy with the current situation.

There may or may not be a pack of unscented "wet whipes" in the vicinity of my throne though Wink

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm curious how the whole bidet thing works.

Seems like to be effective you'd have to completely remove your pants, underwear, socks and shoes, use soap, a washrag, and towels. Then you have to deal with the rag afterwards... If you're just shooting water up there and not soaping with a rag, then you'll go through a bunch of TP to dry off, maybe have to do multiple flushes to get all that paper down the pipe. Using a towel instead of TP would be bad news if you didn't completely soap your backside. Who'd want to be next in line to use that towel? I'd not mind getting truly clean, but it seems like a bidet may actually spread "matter" unless you have an elaborate system and follow it faithfully.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

You've got it all wrong. You use it to wash your hands after your fingers punch through the TP.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

You've got it all wrong. You use it to wash your hands after your fingers punch through the TP.

In that case, since you're already turned around and stooped over might as well wash your face, and take a drink, too.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There may or may not be a pack of unscented "wet whipes" in the vicinity of my throne though Wink

Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:

The uncommitted DIY response. Wink

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw toilets with built-in bidet yesterday at Home Depot.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is Ron White's bit on heated, bidet seats (NSFW):

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/FmltPi531Z4

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post