SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off duty deputy approaches motorcyclist with drawn weapon ?!?!? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Seems like a good way for an off duty cop to get shot. He didn't even have his badge out?! WTF

:edit: read the comments. Apparently the cop eventually ID'd himself. In my opinion the first few seconds are all that matters though.

Read comments again, about the badge out. Razz

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Seems like a good way for an off duty cop to get shot. He didn't even have his badge out?! WTF

:edit: read the comments. Apparently the cop eventually ID'd himself. In my opinion the first few seconds are all that matters though.

Read comments again, about the badge out. Razz

(I've been watching a lot of Seinfeld lately Wink)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My favorite sitcom of all time. Smile

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, I don't want to be a Pirate.

The Dingo ate your baby.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If the biker had been a member of Seal Team 6, or Chuck Norris, or Jerry Miculek, or an IDPA grand poobah, that sorry excuse of an officer might be on ice right now. And that officer looked way to old and experienced to pull anything as remotely stupid as that. This is of course with the understanding that we don't know the full story.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I never saw the badge. I doubt the motorcyclist did either, not with a loaded gun in his face. Unless he was looking down to check out the puddle forming around his feet, I don't think he could have seen it.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Regardless of whether people feel this was a set up of the cop in question, he took the bait! He showed his ass and will likely lose his credentials that he never showed.

Question for anyone who thinks it was okay for the officer to pull his weapon. Was the guy willing to shoot a douche-bag on a motorcycle for speeding? Or just throwing his weight around to intimidate the rider into compliance? Either shows a very large lack of professionalism and would result in you or I going to jail if we were the ones that did it!

His badge was clipped on his pants.

And has there been anyone in this thread who said he thought it was okay for the officer to have his gun drawn? I must've missed it.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Mr. Detective needs to learn how to properly identify himself.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I never saw the badge. I doubt the motorcyclist did either, not with a loaded gun in his face. Unless he was looking down to check out the puddle forming around his feet, I don't think he could have seen it.

I don't doubt that he never saw it. I wasn't insinuating that he did.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So guy on bike was arrested for reckless driving ? Merely cited and released ? Seems odd. Just got a talking to on tape and let to go on his way, yet is alledged by the cop to be driving crazy ? Which is it. Someone has some explaining to do.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
He was just following the Maryland State Police handbook:

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The detective is now on administrative leave.

Link

quote:
A detective with the King County Sheriff's Office was placed on administrative leave Tuesday morning after a video surfaced showing him pulling a gun on a motorcyclist during a seemingly surprise traffic stop.

Sheriff John Urquhart condemned the actions captured in the footage on a Facebook post early Tuesday.

"I was deeply disturbed with the conduct and tactics that were recorded," he wrote. "... In every encounter I expect my deputies to treat others with respect."

The Seattle Times identified the motorcyclist as Shoreline resident John Randall. He was reportedly stopped at a red light at Fifth Avenue Northeast and Northeast 145th Street Aug. 16 when an plainclothes officer appears from his left shoulder pointing a gun.

"How ya doin'?" the officer asks, setting off panic in Randall, who repeated that he is unarmed.

The detective asked for Randall's identification and threatened to "knock him off" his bike.
Randall asked permission to remove his helmet and turn off his vehicle several times before reaching for his identification, but then the detective picked his wallet from his pocket to grab his driver license, himself.

Randall also repeated to the detective -- who did not identify himself in the video -- that he couldn't hear him through his helmet, which seemed to inflame the situation. He maintained he kept his hands raise in the air until the detective holstered his weapon.
The detective goes on to accuse Randall of reckless driving and traveling at more than 100 mph -- an "arrestable offense," he said -- which Randall denied as exaggeration in the text he included with his video.
Randall indicated in the video's text that he was not cited and that he filed several complaints with the Sheriff's Office and oversight agencies.

He wrote he was not physically hurt, but "scared and angry."

The detective, who was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation, has not yet been identified by the King County Sheriff's Office. His name will be available Wednesday evening.

"Drawing your weapon on someone when investigating a misdemeanor traffic offense is not routine," Urquhart wrote in his Facebook statement. "All of these issues will be covered in a full investigation. In the meantime, the detective involved will not be working with the public."

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I don't doubt that he never saw it. I wasn't insinuating that he did.

Balze Halze, I was just commenting on my impression of the photo. I didn't mean to imply a position for you.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I would guess there is a reason we don't see what occurred in the 1 to 5 minutes before the confrontation. I'd want to see that before I pass judgement.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I would guess there is a reason we don't see what occurred in the 1 to 5 minutes before the confrontation. I'd want to see that before I pass judgement.

Here is what seems to be the main point: "Randall said the deputy did not issue him a citation."
http://www.king5.com/news/loca...vestigated/469080489

The record of a citation is easily checked. In no news article is there any indication that official action was taken. Were Randall speeding in the 1 to 5 minutes before the confrontation, that would be sufficient reason for a citation. Either by the deputy or by an officer called to the scene.

My thought is that the detective filed no report and there is no record of the event in police files.

Was Randall speeding? Yes, he admits it. Was it 100 miles an hour? You'd have to get the entire video to learn that. However, this would be long after the fact. At the time of the incident, there wasn't enough evidence to issue a citation.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
This story has made the front page of cnn.com now...It would seem even CNN takes issue with the length of time it takes him to identify himself as law enforcement.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IANLEO.....but to be fair and balanced, CNN isn't exactly the most pro-LEO fake news site out there, so they will undoubtedly use ANY story on their front page to bash the police, even if it uncovers something as idiotic as to what this officer did.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
This story has made the front page of cnn.com now...It would seem even CNN takes issue with the length of time it takes him to identify himself as law enforcement.
CNN "takes issue" with anything and everything related to law enforcement. They hate the police. CNN = BLM

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still giving the officer the benefit of a doubt. I don't know what he saw previous to what we see on the tape. On the tape I see him conducting a traffic stop, with his weapon drawn and held in some sort of low ready/retention position that has probably been drilled into him on the range. Finger off the trigger, but on target should it be needed. He gets thru the initial preamble of making contact and seeing "what he's got" before he holsters up and directs the driver to pull off the road so they can finish business. Those actions, and his words, don't lead me to believe he was lost in the red eyed madness of road rage. Seemed in control to me and doing business. Was the drawn weapon necessary? Is it ever, till it is?
PO Gary Michael
LT Aaron Allan

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
I'm still giving the officer the benefit of a doubt.

I'm not. Not this guy, reaching over and grabbing the guy's wallet with a gun pulled. Looked like a hold-up. Nothing professional about him.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more point I should have made in my last post. My gut reaction, based upon his words and actions, this kid knew exactly what was up when the officer walked up on him. The kid knew, and the officer knew he knew too. But he did a nice job acting for the camera he activated right before first contact.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post