SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An interesting take on price gouging
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting take on price gouging Login/Join 
posted
I know the issue has come up before with regards to gun panic. As well as post hurricane.

I didn’t want to post in the Harvey thread as this is a political take on a situation that is very real for folks down there.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Saw a bunch of photos on Facebook people have been posting.

$8.42 for a gallon of gas...

$42.00 for a 24 pack of water...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Semper Paratus. Stock up while it's good so you have it when it's not.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm always torn on gouging. I don't really like it, but I understand it. One thing I'm not torn on is that I don't think it should be illegal.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People who price-gouge during natural disasters show be horse-whipped, stripped naked and put into stocks in front of the local courthouse.

Three days in stocks should get the point across.

If they do it again after that, summary execution is warranted.

Cue the "It's just the law of supply and demand" crowd. They always show up to defend this kind of disgusting behavior.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
price gouging should be treated like looting

deal with it once, and you won't have to deal with it again

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
Spot on brother!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
People who price-gouge during natural disasters show be horse-whipped, stripped naked and put into stocks in front of the local courthouse.

Cue the "It's just the law of supply and demand" crowd. They always show up to defend this kind of disgusting behavior.

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Especially if the water hasn't receded yet, and there are fire ants and gators in the water.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas has a law against it. Some have been fined in the past. Not enough. Crucifiction next to a major roadway at rush hour should have some deterrent effect.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It amazes me at how many others don't share the feelings of compassion to people in need,especially in something unprecedented like this storm. I noticed on many other forums/sites people praising these "do-gooders/capitalists" coming to the aid of those that lost everything and then try to take whatever is left from them. How can you charge someone $50-100.00 for a case of water, as is being reported, and be able to sleep at night? I wish I could afford to send more to these people. I have worked many bad storms for days on end, I am not looking for praise when I say this, I am just saying when you see people that have nothing left,how do take anymore away? They are destroyed physically and mentally. I was raised to help where you can and I try to live my life accordingly. I just don't get the mindset that it is good business to punish those in need.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I fail to understand exactly how the law of supply and demand comes into play in natural disaster situation. It's not like there is a manufacturing supply issue, it's the arrival of more supply that is cut off.

This is just plain old taking advantage of people in an emergency.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'm with Para.

once the Governor says it's an emergency, they should freeze the prices

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I could get behind that for the antifa crowd, too, now that you mention it. With full due proces, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is just plain old taking advantage of people in an emergency.

Which is exactly what the video explained made access to the goods possible. No greed. No monetary gain. Nobody bringing in the goods.

Do you know who else should suffer? Those who took no effort to prepare and now demand that they be taken care of or treated however they see fit.

Let's take those generators for example. Surely the local Home Depot and Lowe's are sold out. I'm sure they can get you one in 8 to 10 weeks.

No time to wait! Let's get on Amazon. Sorry. Shipping is disrupted in that area. Should probably be available for delivery in 8 to 10 weeks.

But Joe Schmo lives a state away, and they have 10 generators at his big box stores. He buys them up at regular retail pricing, rents a truck, fuels the truck, and spends his time driving into the disaster area. Selling them for the same price he paid for them is a loosing proposition. Even for him to break even he has to "gouge" to cover his overhead.

So they outlaw what he's doing. Instead of getting your generator today, maybe you'll see one in 8 to 10 weeks.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "1 to a customer" rule seems like it be the best option. I hate price gouging as well. I just found the argument interesting. Similar to Über's surge pricing. Encourage more drivers to go on the clock to meet demand.

What Stossel (as well as Friedman) don't address is a seller raising the price knowing full well the item in question is so scarce, no one will be able to meet demand (so he'll take all he can get.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I'm with Para.

That's not how to get extra stuff applied to the problem.

Our ex-governor did that the first time the gas pipeline broke. So, gas stations couldn't spent the extra money to hire tanker truck to go buy gas from neighboring states who still had gas, as the old price would't cover those costs. So, no side-distribution into the state. Cue the lines and angst. Everyone topped off their tanks to avoid risking running out.

The governor was paying attention, though. Shortly thereafter the same pipeline broke a second time. This time he had figured out to let prices go, and while prices rose there were few problems with availability as stations trucked in the gas. Since availability stayed good, people were OK running normally and just tried to make what they had last till the pipeline came up. So...economics 101...consumers conserved, and producers brought more in.

Or, sure they could put their feet up, sell out of what they have at prices that would not replenish, and felt good about not 'gouging'. But then, what do people do who need gas?

Economics is all about incentives.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Stossel (as well as Friedman) don't address is a seller raising the price knowing full well the item in question is so scarce, no one will be able to meet demand (so he'll take all he can get.

And perhaps that due to the fact that the seller is in the same boat. He can no longer obtain additional products to sell you for the same reason you can't obtain them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking the argument to the extreme. Can I trailer my boat down there and charge people for rides (rescues)?

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Officers who had responded during Andrew recovery in 92 arrested a couple of assholes who were selling a semi load of bags of ice for $20 a bag. People were paying that price without hesitation. As they were being hauled off they asked "what about our ice?". We'll check on it later, the officer said. It just disappeared before the officers returned. A terrible thing, evaporation.

General rule of thumb, you don't raise prices on essential commodities once an emergency is declared. It is a crime in Florida as it is in most states. In Florida, we determine price gouging by comparing the price to the price of those goods for 30 days prior to the declaration of an emergency. If the price is grossly increased, it is price gouging.

Much worse than price gouging are unlicensed home repair contractors who rip victims off wholesale following a disaster. People just want to get their homes and lives back to normal and a lot of those thieving bastards are after the easy pickings, you have to be careful.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I'm with Para.

That's not how to get extra stuff applied to the problem.

Our ex-governor did that the first time the gas pipeline broke. So, nobody spent the extra money to hire extra tankers to go buy gas from neighboring states not supplied by the broken pipeline. Cue the lines and angst. Everyone topped off their tanks to avoid risking running out.

The governor was paying attention, though. Shortly thereafter the same pipeline broke a second time. This time he had figured out to let prices go, and while prices rose there were few problems with availability as stations trucked in the gas. Since availability stayed good, people were OK running normally and just tried to make what they had last till the pipeline came up. So...economics 101...consumers conserved, and producers brought more in.

Or, sure they could put their feet up, sell out of what they have at prices that would not replenish, and felt good about not 'gouging'. But then, what do people do who need gas?

Economics is all about incentives.

yes, and what you described was not actual price gouging...the price did rise, but people were able to get into and out the area, unlike what is happening in Texas, or in the video.

And just because the governor freezes the prices, it does not restrict the flow of commerce...the weather determined that

I belong to the Semper Paratus crowd (Always Prepared-the USCG motto). If I didn't have enough foresight to prepare for the eventual hurricane and loss of power or flow of fuel or lack of food..then that is my bad.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post