SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well then what WAS your first high school car?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well then what WAS your first high school car? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1981 Mazda 626 with a blown head gasket. Taught myself to drive stick with it. In the middle of the night. On the interstate in Milwaukee. At 14 years old!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Junior in high school, 1977.
Got my dad's old car, a 1970 Ford LTD 2 door.
That car was perhaps my least favorite of all the cars I've had over the years. But on the positive side, it did motivate me to learn how to work on cars.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I could not afford a car until I was a junior in college.

Same with me. Money was tight in my family, I had priorities. I bought stereo equipment and LP records with my earnings (plus clothes, entertainment, college tuition, etc). Got my first car in college.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by
'71 Ford Pinto. I delivered pizzas in it.

That was my first car too! No pizza deliveries though. I’d love to find one now.

A 71 pinto. Those little 1600 motors were made in Germany and pretty awesome.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man. After seeing your responses and all the beautiful American muscle I am envious.
I graduated in ‘04. My first car was my mother’s old ‘94 Saturn sl2. My father charged me $1500 because nothing in life is free.
Looking back I had been working 3 years and saving every penny and that life lesson was worth more to me than that car.
The car lasted me 3 years before the motor went.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
‘64 Ford Falcon 2dr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
1994 mitsubishi Eclipse. hand-me-down from my sister after she left for college.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
None--I rode a city bus to high school. I also rode a city bus to college until my Senior year, when I bought (1959) and used 1953 Ford coupe for $300 (it had only 25,000 miles on it--my dad found it for me). When I graduated a year later, I sold the coupe to a cousin for $300 and bought a new 1960 Ford Falcon for about $2000 (financed through my dad's credit union). I drove that car 9 years.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
1980 Ford Mustang in 1987

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I was a poor country kid working on the family farm and working pipeline construction with my Dad in the summers. Rode the school bus and in my junior year I shoveled horse crap down at the fairgrounds race track to buy a Cushman Eagle motor scooter for $200. That lasted me through high school and my first year of college where I worked as a janitor to help defray school costs. The Vietnam war was starting to heat up and I enlisted for flight school and bought a '65 Mustang

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
It's really great to see how memories are so close to our hearts.

re: "1938 Chrysler 4 door sedan. I bought it for $65 dollars while a Junior"

Me & my buddy bought a real classic, even in the early Kennedy days....we bought a 1948 Cadillac convertible, all leather seats, real spoke wheels, and hydraulic windows/seats/top. It was the last the Caddy flat heads, rode like a tug boat & leaked a large pool of fluid when you had to help the roof up or down.

A LOT of fun as we had to hide it out. After a month we sold it for an incredible fortune: 3x what we gave for it. I'd guess each of those wheels alone would bring considerably more today.

What fun!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
1986 Lincoln Town Car 64" stretch limo.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
81 Chevy Malibu in '02. $1200 and some time and it lasted thru 2 years of daily abuse. Sold it when I was a Junior in college and work was slow for tuition. Shoulda kept it and quit school. Still kick myself for that bonehead move. If I could lay hands on it again, I would probably over pay stupidly to have it back.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
One of these

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I owned a 1963 Chev Bel Aire Station Wagon with a 6 and 3 speed on the column. I played Rock and Roll and hauled my gear in it.

As the band got more gigs, I Pulled a small trailer behind until I moved up to a Chev Greenbriar Van.

It was all junk then.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t afford a car on my own until 1991. My senior year, bought myself a new Mitsubishi Eclipse GS turbo. A year later traded it in for a GSX, same car, same color, but AWD.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1957 Chevy 2 door w/post model 210. 265 c.i. V-8. Only $ 350.00
Bought to commute to local Jr. college.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
'68 AMC Javelin. Followed closely by a '70 Opel GT.
Class of '76.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1982, powder blue Ford Fairmont. God I hated the look of that car, but it belonged to the elderly Mom of my Dad's co-worker. 1 owner, garage kept, super low miles & in pristine condition. I totaled it 1 month to the day after getting it. Passed out from low blood sugar while driving around a corner & hit a tree head on. That was before I had been diagonosed.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another guy who didn't have a car in high school so I walked a little over a mile each way, but this thread reminded me of an incident --

A friend of my brother had a Honda Cub 50 for his daily transportation, winter and summer, and lived about 3 miles or so from school.

One winter morning, it was so icy that my mother drove my brother and myself the one mile. We were stopped at a light, just behind my brother's friend on the Cub 50, he was holding it up against the slippery ice, having made it two miles already, but it was just too slick. Slowly, he lost traction with both feet, and he and the scooter fell over onto the street. Nobody hurt, the image of that slow fall remains with me today!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post