SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well then what WAS your first high school car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well then what WAS your first high school car? Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
1982 Pontiac 6000 in turkey turd tan...with wire wheel covers! Sweet! Razz

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I graduated in 1969. I bought a 1961 Mini Cooper from a friend and his dad for $300. I put $600 into it, having the engine balanced and blueprinted. Put a Sun Super Tach on it.

I continue to entertain thoughts of buying another...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
1966 Ford Fairlane with a lean, mean 200 cubic inch straight six. When I had to work in the car I could literally stand with my feet on the ground in the engine compartment.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I graduated in "84" and when I was a Jr. I worked my whole summer so I could buy 1972 Buick Skylark that had a smashed in drivers door.

But I didn't care because I had a car... Smile

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1968 Chevelle. Gold with puck green interior.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Took me most of the summer to save up from my first job, but picked up a '79 Pontiac Sunbird with a 231c.i. v6. That was the summer of 1985.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A 1968 Ford Custom 500 like this one was (early/mid-1970s) the family car, the one I learned to drive and got my license in. Yes, it is a two-door post sedan. It had a 302, power steering that was four turns lock to lock, and manual drum brakes.

For one to call my own, a hand-me-down (from an uncle) 1966 Chrysler Newport similar to this one, but a post sedan, not the hardtop shown here. It was a POS, but it did teach me mechanical skills, starting with having to do a valve job and get it running from where it had sat for several years. I actually got this just before graduation, so I didn't drive it to high school.

Posts: 27960 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 1961 Chevy Impala 4 door, 283 with a Powerglide trans. No AC, no power steering or brakes, AM radio, it was purchased by my Mother for $150.00 and given to me. I drove the snot out of it.

My senior year of High School I purchased on my own, with money I earned working after school and weekends, a blue 1974 Chevy Vega. 3 speed manual on the floor, no AC or PS or PB, but did have an AM radio. I put in a CB radio, it was the heights of the CB craze. Moving out of my childhood home I drove it 150 miles to my college. It really was a great car right up until I totaled it out a few months later in first semester.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
bought for me so my Dad could golf more - I'd drive Mom around and do her errands...
A 1967 Chevy Bel-Air in blue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rustyblade,

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
1976 Mercedes 300 diesel.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was an ‘83 Camaro.
I learned how to repair cars while I owned this ride thru college.
Then I bought a Jeep.....

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
My first car in high school was my Brother's hand-me-down 1974 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that my Dad bought for $500. It had a GM501 engine - you could literally watch the gas gauge go down when you really stepped on it. Big Grin Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
'57 Chevy. Smile

Four door. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1979 Cadillac Coupe de'ville with almost 300K miles on it. It was purchased by my Dad from one of the Jack Roach dealerships in Kansas City and had a dealer plaque on it that said "Roach". Of course it was black and my friends called my car "The Roach."

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1969 Buick skylark 4 door. It had been parked in a field for 10 yeas. Paid $50 and dug up a farmers septic tank lids for it. Had to tow it home.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
72 vw bus. How am i still alive?

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Mine was a 1963 Dodge Dart - 4-door with three-on-the-tree.

As I grew older with it found out it was considered the taxi package and, the reason Dodge moved from a push-button automatic was because the company's executives had wives who kept breaking their fingernails on the buttons (after all, a VP's wife sure as he'll wasn't going to be driving a Ford).

Sold it when I joined the navy. Always knew it would be a regrettable moment - and it was.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In 1974 as a high school Junior I bought a 1963 VW Variant “Notchback”, which cost $350 hard earned dollars. Drove it until I was a senior in college. Sold it for $350. When I sold it, it was so worn out it wouldn’t start with the starter. I had to park on a hill and roll it downhill to start it.

I still occasionally have a dream about not being able to find my Variant in the parking garage where I parked it.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
1959 Austin Healy 100-6. Black with red interior.

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
1968 Plymouth GTX convertible

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post