SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A talk that no one should ever have to have with their parent.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A talk that no one should ever have to have with their parent. Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted
I have had 3 new brain tumors appear in the last week. Prognosis is not good. My dad is coming over on Wednesday for me to tell him. It's rough when a parent outlives their kid. Has anyone here ever had to have a conversation like the one I am about to have?

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No- I would not want to even imagine any side of that conversation. I am so sorry you have to deal with that.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Stay strong. Have they been determined to be malignant?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck, just lay out the facts.

Brain tumors are up greatly since cell phones became popular. Having worked in both the electrical/mechanical field and in health care, I have no doubt that the recent increase in brain tumors is partly from cell phone and portable phone use.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I had a rare bone marrow disorder many years ago. I had to have the talk with both my parents and also my wife's parents. I think you will find that your dad is supportive and that he will be brave with you.

God bless you in this journey. I am praying for you.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Are you concerned about his health? Does he have heart issues? Substance abuse issues? Do you have unresolved issues? Is your mother still alive? Are they still married? How is her health? How old are they?

Do you have other siblings?

How has he handled bad news in the past?

What will his role be in the family during this hard time for you? Will he be the glue for the family or be a wreck?

I’m sorry to hear about the tumors, my friend. We’re here if you need us.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Censored,

I am so sorry to hear this news, and I do not have any first hand experience with this type of situation.

Is this development part of a health challenge that your dad is already aware of? If so, perhaps the update will not be totally unexpected. Still, it's awful.

Regardless, if I were to put myself in your dad's shoes and heard this devastating news from my son (he is 15) no matter what age he may be at the time, I think that I would want to try and spend as much meaningful time with my son as possible, so maybe have some thoughts/suggesstions around that.

Offer to let him stay the night or two, etc., so he can be with you and feel connected.

If he has to go home after the talk, can someone drive him so he gets home safely? Is there some that can stay with him, to comfort and look after him, as he will likely be very distraught?

Again, I am so sorry to hear this news. Life can be so very cruel and unfair.

Prsyers to you and ypur family for strength through the tough times ahead.

Rob

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Censored...you and your dad are are in my thoughts and prayers...strength for all involved.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Geez, Censored... I got no words. Good luck, man.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to read this. I hope that in whatever time you have left, that you are able to accomplish those things that you feel are either necessary or bring you a sense of fulfillment.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Censored...you and your dad are are in my thoughts and prayers...strength for all involved.

This is what I wanted to post.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ShitFrown This is going to be hard on the whole family. I am sending good thoughts to everyone involved, especially you Censored. This is awful news.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I am so sorry to hear this as I'm sure your father will be. Stay strong.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry that you are ill, and that you have to bring this to others.

Be strong, and let us know if we can help.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about your situation. Prayers said and sent.

The only silver lining is you and your Dad can still talk and prepare should your prognosis remain bad. One of my best friends lost his 16 year old son in a car accident. His son was following him after going duck hunting, went off the road, and t-boned a telephone pole. By the time he turned around and got to his sons truck he was gone.

They never had the chance to say goodbye.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I really hope the prognosis is wrong. No advice on the conversation with Dad, no matter how you slice it, it won't be easy. Best of luck in fighting it and with the hard conversation. You are in my prayers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of the issues you are facing, Censored.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the emotions that you are having right now. As far as the talk with your dad is concerned, all I can say is to be up front and honest with him. I'm sure that most people would want it that way. I know I would. Good luck in the battles ahead of you.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and for your father.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wow. You and your family have all our prayers.
Hoping for the best.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post