SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I just ruin a pound of bacon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I just ruin a pound of bacon? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Um, how did they transport bacon in chuck wagons, in the days before refrigeration?

Well, that was different; temperatures were much cooler then. Roll Eyes

Actually, of course, that was the whole idea behind the various methods of “curing” meats and other foods. Without refrigeration many different ways of preventing spoilage were developed over the millenniums. Kimchee, anyone?

As jerky demonstrates, even simple drying can render meat highly resistant to spoilage. And as someone mentioned, meat can be “hung” and allowed to age for significant periods without going bad. I’ve seen claims that that process is somehow different than permitting meat to sit on a house temperature counter overnight, but all controlling temperature does is change the rate that bacteria multiply. Cool temps slow the process, but don’t stop it. Leave a package of hamburger in the fridge long enough and it will become unfit to eat.

But to be fair, when meat is sliced, or even worse, ground, that allows bacteria to contact it other than on the outside surface, and that’s what results in spoilage and the possibility of illness caused by the toxic waste products the bacteria produce. The moist, dark environment inside a ground meat patty or between slices is far more conducive to bacteria’s thriving than on the surface of a solid chunk. An unsliced flitch of bacon in the back of a wagon might therefore last much longer than a processed package today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meat that was cured back in the day utilized lots of salt. Bacon probably has enough salt in it that it’s not an issue in the OPs case. However, after having food poisoning in the past, I just wouldn’t risk it over a $4 pound of bacon.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, I would eat it!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I don’t claim any particular expertise in such matters but I’m not aware of any germ or bacteria that can survive the temperature/time it takes to properly cook bacon.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with. The toxins the bacteria release are what make you sick and you can't cook that out. Up to you though.

Read ^^this^^ post again.
You can kill the bacteria by cooking.
The “stuff” that the bacteria produces, bacteria shit basically, can *not* be cooked out. If it’s there, you’re screwed.
In the OP’s case, it probably would not matter but it isn’t guaranteed.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Send it to me priority mail and I'll let ya know if it was fit to eat. Ain't skeerd. Big Grin

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with. The toxins the bacteria release are what make you sick and you can't cook that out. Up to you though.

The “stuff” that the bacteria produces, bacteria shit basically, can *not* be cooked out. If it’s there, you’re screwed.

As far as I can determine that is true of botulism toxins produced by anaerobic bacteria. Spoiled meat is regularly cooked in most of the world and often considered a delicacy. The crazy Brits hang a pheasant until it literally falls apart before cooking.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Totally agree. Op is probably fine because of the nitrites. But research botulism. It’s deadly. It’s from a toxin released by bacteria. The bacteria is a spore former. The spores can survive temp extremes and grow once temps are better. Oh and the bacteria (clostridium botulinum) is anaerobic. So it likes a nice vacuum sealed bag. Curing with nitrate/nitrite is done to stop botulism.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:

Totally agree. Op is probably fine because of the nitrites. But research botulism. It’s deadly. It’s from a toxin released by bacteria. The bacteria is a spore former. The spores can survive temp extremes and grow once temps are better. Oh and the bacteria (clostridium botulinum) is anaerobic. So it likes a nice vacuum sealed bag. Curing with nitrate/nitrite is done to stop botulism.

I looked it up. Guess what destroys Botulinum toxin? Heat. About 180°F is all that's needed. Out of the gazillion different bacteria out there, very few are responsible for food born illness. Few of those produce toxins and I haven't found one that produces heat resistant toxins.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Well, if it wasn’t spoiled at first posting, it is by the time the OP reads through three pages of why we cook our food....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
So, why haven't we heard back from the OP?
Maybe it was bad... Frown

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
It was frozen solid, set it out around 9:00 PM...it was 8:00 this morning when I realized what I had done. It had a coolness about it...slightly cooler than other things on the counter.

Should be fine. I've done it a few times with steaks.
If it was ground meat, pitch it. Same with chicken.
Now if you would have said you cooked it and left it out, different story. After cooking when it reaches that danger zone of 120° - 90° and it sits there to long, bacterial growth is exponential.
Keep hot foods hot or put them in the refrigerator.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I used to date a Croatian chick that ate bacon raw. All the time. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Cook it and eat it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
If it smells funky when you open it, throw it out. If it tastes funky when you taste it after cooking, throw it out. Otherwise, enjoy it!

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Jeezus! Someone check the Obits for 357SIG Man!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I looked it up. Guess what destroys Botulinum toxin? Heat. About 180°F is all that's needed. Out of the gazillion different bacteria out there, very few are responsible for food born illness. Few of those produce toxins and I haven't found one that produces heat resistant toxins.

This is not true, you need to research more. Foods prone to botulism need to be "pressure" canned because 212 deg ain't good enough to kill the spores.

quote:
C. botulinum spores can be killed by heating to extreme temperature (120 degrees Celsius) under pressure using an autoclave or a pressure cooker for at least 30 minutes. The toxin itself can be killed by boiling for 10 minutes.
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1307

I'd totally have eaten this bacon though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

This is not true, you need to research more. Foods prone to botulism need to be "pressure" canned because 212 deg ain't good enough to kill the spores.

It is true and you posted a link that supports it. The spores don't make you sick, the toxin does. The toxin is destroyed at 180°F which is why boiling such food works to destroy the toxin.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Still goin’, huh

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know the botulism toxin was destroyed so easily. The spores can be a problem. But in this case it really doesn’t matter since the bacon is likely cured and has no spores to worry about. Even if there are spores they don’t usually proliferate in the persons gut and cause illness although it’s possible. I’m super paranoid about food safety but I’d eat the bacon.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post