SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I just ruin a pound of bacon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I just ruin a pound of bacon? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Take into consideration how long it took the bacon to defrost, how long it sat at room temp once it was defrosted and how long would it take food to spoil at 66 degrees if left open and exposed, not vacuum packed.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I bet it's fine but the potential for vomiting and shitting my brains out for 24 hours isn't worth the $5.

+1

Having experienced the above more than a couple of times, it ain't worth to me. If it was an emergency, low inventory of food for awhile, yes, I would chance it.

I have thawed bacon before and it thaws pretty quick compared to a roast or a pack of steaks. So it could have potentially been sitting after reaching room temp for hours.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with.

Word.

Consider how much a pound of bacon costs... ~$5.

Is it worth the risk just to save $5?

But it's bacon!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve had food poisoning, I’d chuck the bacon. It’s not worth it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it cured bacon it will be fine. A country ham is salted down and hung up in a building until it is cured and then sits at room temperature at the store until it is sold.

If temperature alone could make cured meat go bad then country hams would be deadly.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Line cookie sheet with foil or baking rack
Place bacon strips on foil or rack
Place cookie sheet in cold oven
Set oven to 400*
Cook bacon until crispy

Enjoy!!! Big Grin

I dropped a piece of pizza crust side down ON THE FLOOR in Kyle Stadium weekend before last (UTSA game). Picked it up within the 3-second rule and ate it...just made sure it didn't have a hair or other FOD on it. Zero side effects...not even a sneeze. If I'm not dead from the junk that's hit my gut in my over 50 years on this earth, you'll be fine with the bacon. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

These threads frequently come up and we never find out what happens.
Dead men tell no tales.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
let's see, fresh Kale or thawed out bacon,

I gotta go bacon

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"But it's bacon!"

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These threads frequently come up and we never find out what happens.

Hmmm.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I would cook and eat it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
As long as you eat enough of it, you will be fine.

Smile

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are fine. Bacon has so much sodium, nitrates, etc. that help preserve it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bacon exists because salt curing resists bacteria growing.
It's fine. If you left it in your car in Phoenix for a week, I'd give a different answer, but FROZEN over night? Hell, it ain't even warmed up yet.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
In my view eating that is less risky than eating at a restaurant.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
^^^You might have a point there^^^

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
4 hours,

as in you generally have 4 hours once a food product reaches 40 degrees or higher to eat or prepare it,

still sealed, frozen last night when left on the counter, at 8am you are likely good at normal house temps,

fry it and eat it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would eat it without a first thought that it would make me sick, much less a second thought.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is perfectly fine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Um, how did they transport bacon in chuck wagons, in the days before refrigeration?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post