SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 customers draw guns on men trying to steal tools from Washington store
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 customers draw guns on men trying to steal tools from Washington store Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Six customers draw guns on men trying to steal tools from Washington store.

MARYSVILLE, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say two men were surrounded by customers with guns while attempting to steal tools from a Washington store.

The Daily Herald reports the men, ages 22 and 23, allegedly took four nail guns, each worth more than $400, from the Coastal Farm & Ranch store Saturday in Marysville.

The men walked out of the store and got into a Honda Civic, only to be surrounded by about six customers with guns raised.

Court documents say the driver pulled forward, causing one man confronting him to land on the hood.

Documents say another customer shot at the driver’s side front tire, while a third fired twice at the rear tire.

Marysville police found the theft suspects’ car unoccupied about three blocks away, with two flat tires and the tools inside. Both men were apprehended after a search.

https://katu.com/news/local/6-...tal-farm-ranch-store

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I'm not chasing and pointing a gun at anybody stealing anything, especially if it's not mine.

Glad nobody got hurt. That would have been a mess.
The perps will probably not get a day in jail, too.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nein. Nyet. Hell no.

Shoplifting is not a deadly force situation.

Only a small handful of states allow the use of deadly force to prevent theft. Washington isn't one of them. And those few that do have such property protection laws tend to have some major restrictions with them.

There was no reason for bystanders to get involved with guns.

Be a good witness instead.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
It's Marysville, a town plagued with rising crime and the scene of its own active shooting about three years ago. I'd bet ther's a good chance the boys will do a stint in the gray-bar hotel and the vigilence committee walks.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A theft offense in the state of Washington is classified as "theft in the second degree" (a class C felony under Washington law) if the value of the property or services stolen is more than $750 but not more than $5,000 (and as long as the property is not a firearm or motor vehicle). ( § 9A.56.040.)

Interesting ... Makes me want to motor I-40 west and bang a right at I-5. Take a drive on up and see that part of the country.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
6 people with guns...wonder if there was a cross fire hazard that developed during this incident? yikes!
I wouldn’t have gotten involved for a theft of property as has been said...but would love to see a video of how it all went down! Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Though this behavior might be looked down upon among the membership here, I can only feel very good about the way this was handled. Only when the scum among us realize they are no longer safe/protected while breaking the law, will they think more than twice about breaking the law. Every time they steal from these stores, the price we pay for goods purchased there goes up. I for one am damn tired of seeing prices continually go up to offset the theft loses.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Though this behavior might be looked down upon among the membership here..............

Quite the opposite - I expect it to be fully supported.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see any mention of the shooters beyond the action taken; I wonder if they were not identified for some perfectly good reason...

If I owned the store and had security cameras, I think sunspots or a power surge might have blanked the tapes/server before the cops arrived.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Though this behavior might be looked down upon among the membership here, I can only feel very good about the way this was handled. Only when the scum among us realize they are no longer safe/protected while breaking the law, will they think more than twice about breaking the law. Every time they steal from these stores, the price we pay for goods purchased there goes up. I for one am damn tired of seeing prices continually go up to offset the theft loses.

There is a saying I'm fond of..."Rules don't keep people from doing bad things...beatings do."

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see the bad shoot here. Perp tried to run over citizens trying to stop a couple of soon to be felons. Stopped the vehicle with 2 flat tires ending the immediate threat. Didn’t shoot the scum bags as they fled and let the cops handle the rest.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 100% behind them. If we could do more things like this without fear of getting in trouble there would be less crime without a doubt

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I am glad miscreants were busted, and yet have questions.

How did 6 (not 2, or 3) customers who carry all hear of the theft, saw cause to intervene, and decide to work together? Must be more to the story.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I smiled at this story, too.
I just wouldn't accept that liability for stopping bad guys from "taking stuff".

I would have been perfectly happy to read that 2 thieves had gotten beaten to a pulp by 6 customers who grabbed pickaxe handles from the barrel.

"Feel good story" and "good idea" aren't always the same thing.
But they are fun and I hope the perps tell all their buddies, in jail.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
This happened literally about 3.5 miles from my house (as the crow flies). Marysville isn’t quite as left-leaning as Seattle, but it definitely lists to port.

What I have yet to hear is if any action is being taken against the good samaritans. I agree, I am not getting involved in a shoplift of a stores property where there is no risk to me. Especially when doing so has the potential risk of restricting my already well-infringed 2A rights in this cesspool of liberal folly.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brings to mind the citizen reaction to the bank robbery in Hell or High Water.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Brings to mind the citizen reaction to the bank robbery in Hell or High Water.

I was reminded of this also. However, I'd say that the two instances are drastically different in fact.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I understand where the sentiment is coming from.

It's easy to get frustrated with the state of the world, and think that if we just shoot all the thieves, as well as anyone who puts a mattress in your dumpster, plus those who don't use their turn signals, the world would be a better place.

But that's not realistic, nor is it anywhere close to legal.

Part of being a responsible gun owner and concealed handgun carrier is having the good judgement to know when it is appropriate and legal to use those firearms.

(Oh, and Bender? Yes, I've "been there". It's kinda what I do... And no, I don't point my gun at shoplifters or shoot out their tires, on or off duty.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would have gotten involved like the citizens did in this story. That being said I'm glad they did and don't question THEIR judgement. I agree that its got to be the good guys that stop the bad guys and the cops sure can't do it all.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only a small handful of states allow the use of deadly force to prevent theft.

But a forcible felony, Aggravated Battery With a Deadly Weapon (Vehicle)?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post